Coming at you in your lane?

10 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Anyone else notice that cars coming at you on rural roads, tend to be in your lane and somehow forget to move back over? This has happened to me twice now. FOlks in my neighborhood always drive down the middle (lazy bastards), even around blind turns. However, usually they get out of your lane when you're coming at them in a car or truck. On the EUC, i keep noticing that they see me for a long way, but somehow forget to get out of my damn lane. Its quite shocking to see them seem surprised at the last second and veer over. Even while passing, they seem to not fully leave my lane and ride my side of the yellow. Ive also noticed they like to pass from the rear MUCH closer than if I were another car, bicycle or even on foot. What the hell is this? Either its just me, or maybe they are so engrossed in seeing something new, they cant think about it while talking on their phones AND driving? I'll tell you this... if safety is a concern of yours, stay off public roads in general, especially those with mountain cliffs for shoulders. What saddens me the most is that after a few cars straight up run over a few euc's, the euc rider will somehow get to take blame and crushing regulations will undoubtedly follow. Amazing how law favors everything but sanity...

People will often drive further out when approaching a blind corner because it gives them a better view of what's coming the other way and allows them to react quicker. Problem is they are trained to expect a car or motorbike. When they see an EUC rider, their first thoughts are probably that you're a pedestrian but then they're confused why you're moving so quickly towards them. They'll probably still be wondering what on earth is wrong with their mental picture when you're upon them. You might do better wearing a fluorescent jacket as most people associate that with reasonably fast moving bicycles. Obviously ride with your lights on. If you have a smart watch then the EUC world app allows you to honk the horn with just a gesture - not sure if that would do much good though.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 1:07 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Anyone else notice that cars coming at you on rural roads, tend to be in your lane and somehow forget to move back over? This has happened to me twice now. FOlks in my neighborhood always drive down the middle (lazy bastards), even around blind turns. However, usually they get out of your lane when you're coming at them in a car or truck. On the EUC, i keep noticing that they see me for a long way, but somehow forget to get out of my damn lane. Its quite shocking to see them seem surprised at the last second and veer over. Even while passing, they seem to not fully leave my lane and ride my side of the yellow. Ive also noticed they like to pass from the rear MUCH closer than if I were another car, bicycle or even on foot. What the hell is this? Either its just me, or maybe they are so engrossed in seeing something new, they cant think about it while talking on their phones AND driving? I'll tell you this... if safety is a concern of yours, stay off public roads in general, especially those with mountain cliffs for shoulders. What saddens me the most is that after a few cars straight up run over a few euc's, the euc rider will somehow get to take blame and crushing regulations will undoubtedly follow. Amazing how law favors everything but sanity...

They see you at far distance. They see me too. Still same problem occasionally.

I think its the human nature to stare at something new and minds not computing fast enough
and ppl just 'brain freeze' a while. Its like "Target fascination"  . -Umm, whats that?.........

Had a lot of that in my town due I am the only one around here. (what I know of)
Even at zebra crossings the cars stop waaaay ahead I am even near it, to pass. Curiosity?
Strange, never happen when I was on bike.

When they approach from behind, the distance is like a foot away most of times, and
that annoys me a lot. Even on my bicycle it was the same. Usually plenty of space.

Now, the front light is on full all the time day or night on my KS16X that helps a lot forward. Behind still the same.

As you mentioned... I stay out of roads and streets as much I can.
When i enter a street in town just to go to another bike route further away,
I pretty much use the whole lane, using 'My Space', and get going there as quick I can.

/Mikie

• Like 1

I too, think it has something to do with it being  so 'odd' and new to most. Out here its mostly baffling as its a person standing there, but MOVING?!? The only trails here are paved and called road. I can drive 30 minutes to get to a school parking lot, but that introduces an entire NEW set of dangers. As a man in his 40's, I'm scared to be anywhere near a school or playground for long. I got a set of knuckle lights and hopefully that'll help. My wife thinks theres not much I can do about it during the day, but regardless, theres NO WAY these wont help me at night. At the very least, I'll be able to see the road, just before Im run over. I think the key is.. we dont see this reaction when on bicycles. Ah, the human mind is really interesting for sure. Good news is I can roll a cigarette, smoke one and the lights stay on, even room for the flexmeters. I'd imagine over time, the smoke will cloud the lens, if not worse.. Warranty prolly doesnt cover that.

DSCN7808.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Some asshole driving his vehicle will kill you, and then he and all the newspapers and cops will blame you for darting out in traffic, or not wearing a helmet, or not wearing DayGlo, or some other excuse that puts the blame on you.

• Like 1