Jump to content

Recommended Posts

And not really much of a pre-order. Looks like it ships within a week or so (when I checked the website).

I still want to wait to see actual footage. All the reviewers are on an embargo until next week. Apparently the stitching is a notch below the X quality even though the actual video quality is superior (higher bit rate). But I really like the protective lenses that come with it.

There's an extended battery too, but I'm worried that some of these accessories won't be available for 9-months like the X.

I have a feeling that this will be the next camera in my gear bag for rides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold! I want one!!! $480 - is it going to be the final price or for preorders only? Any hints when it will be on Amazon? (not yet, I just checked) I better take advantage of Amazon Prime's fast delivery and easy returns.

And what's that Mavic edition, what's the difference? Mounting it on a drone would be really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Aneta said:

And what's that Mavic edition, what's the difference? Mounting it on a drone would be really cool.

These shots from the teaser are the Mavic mod.

It does 360, hiding the drone.... like magic

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magic... pure fcuking magic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

These shots from the teaser are the Mavic mod.

There is a Mavic 2 and Mavic Pro mod. These are no doubt sized to fit the specific drone correctly. In theory, you might be able to tweak the mod to fit any existing drone (maybe even a Phantom with a little work).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Unbelievably smart! Can those separate blocks of Mavic version snapped together to make the Twin version? Is Twin modular, too?

(Sorry for all these questions; the answers are probably available on the web; but it's so exciting that it's hard to grasp everything.)

Edited by Aneta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

It does this by separating/splitting the cameras lens above and below the drone. It looks like it uses a cable to connect two lens and the core module is on the side. I guess the 360 camera module can split in half (who knew)! Kind of a low tech solution, but genius. Plus it has protective lens covers.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZenRyder said:

It does this by separating/splitting the cameras lens above and below the drone. It looks like it uses a cable to connect two lens and the core module is on the side. I guess the 360 camera module can split in half (who knew)! Kind of a low tech solution, but genius. Plus it has protective lens covers.

 

At first blush, you might say to yourself, "Yeah, but how often do I want 360 footage from the drone. You'll just have lots of sky in the shot, right?"

But, one of the main problems of drone photography is that it's hard to fly and shoot at the same time. In fact, professional drone photographers usually have one pilot to fly the drone and a second person to actually line up the shot and angle the camera correctly. Being able to fly the drone through the area you want and then select the view port and re-frame stabilized footage in post is a real game changer. Seriously.

 

Go to the Insta website and there you can see the 360 module split in half for use in a stereoscopic configuration.

FpLaWeE.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My understanding is that if you buy a drone edition, you cannot just combine two lens halves into the base unit to make a regular 360 camera, they're just too thick combined, right?

Edited by Aneta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aneta said:

My understanding is that if you buy a drone edition, you cannot just combine two lens halves into the base unit to make a regular 360 camera, they're just too thick combined, right?

I don't think so. I think from what I'm seeing in the diagrams and based on the cost of the drone option, that the standard 360 lens module splits in half and can be used with the specialized plastic casing to be mounted on a selfie stick for regular 360 shots, or used with the Mavic module which consists of a plastic housing to mount on a drone, or used with the stereoscopic casing, to get that VR 180 degree view. Plus the 4k module can be used to match what the GoPro 8 can do. Or you can use the 1" sensor module for even higher resolution. There's a lot to love in the various ways it can be used. Wow.

It's like a cereal box toy - Mix and max modules, collect all six!

cerealboxesgettyimages-509932574.jpg?itok=5Chxy018%E6%AD%A3%E9%9D%A2_3.jpg

I mean, is this exciting or what?? :w00t2:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

But in that picture of the 360 dual-lens module I don't see any seam in the middle. If you want to take stereoscopic 180 view, you need any two lens modules, e.g. one 360 module and one 4K module (which are included in Best Value bundle). If you only bought a base 360 version ($429, out of stock), you need to buy an additional lens, you cannot split that 360 module into two. If I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Aneta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Aneta said:

But in that picture of the 360 dual-lens module I don't see any seam in the middle. If you want to take stereoscopic 180 view, you need any two lens modules, e.g. one 360 module and one 4K module (which are included in Best Value bundle). If you only bought a base 360 version ($429, out of stock), you need to buy an additional lens, you cannot split that 360 module into two. If I'm not mistaken.

After further review, I agree. It looks like they have a "dual-lens" module and the Drone version has a "split-lens" module. It would be too good to be true if it worked in every case, and apparently the concept is too good. :facepalm:

That is disappointing, because that means that the split lens isn't going to work with the standard 360 mount, but I guess that might work for the stereoscopic version. But to be honest, it sounds like that one requires 2 separate camera modules. So, the promise of a totally modular system may not be delivered in reality. :efef27703d: But hey, I guess they can sell a lot more modules this way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, but I think I'll go with the basic 360 version for $429 when it is in stock, because if you already have a good 4K camera like GoPro 7-8 Black with Hyperstabilization, I can't imagine why would I remove the 360 module, install the 4K module (these 2 are included in Best Value bundle), and probably regret that I didn't have 360 on my ride because there was some off-frame scene not captured? And for the drone, I can simply attach the basic 360 version to the underbelly, to have at least 180 usable angle free of obstruction by drone (looking up is mostly sky, anyway). Just hand launch it, of course.

Edited by Aneta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basic practical question is :

Can i have this camera on my helmet conected to powerbank in my backpack and RECORD video AND rechearge camera batery at same time?

Because GOPRO ban this solution they are horny to sell battery modules thats why i not buy gopro 7/8.

(i understand there are limitations with current etc on powerbank then just disable some power hungry modes (4k etc) in camera and let me use this solution gopro 8 anyway punish you for using older gopro cameras baterypack and lock some funkcions/posibilities)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DjPanJan the Insta360 One X I believe can charge while recording, so I don’t see why this One R wouldn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@DjPanJan the Insta360 One X I believe can charge while recording, so I don’t see why this One R wouldn’t.

The Insta360 One & X can both operate while charging. One of the reviewers specifically said the R can too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i own the one x and love it, can't wait to see some footage of the new one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 3:53 AM, DjPanJan said:

Because GOPRO ban this solution they are horny to sell battery modules thats why i not buy gopro 7/8.

Wait what? I have the GoPro Hero 7 Black and I keep it plugged in to a battery pack all day. It never dies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, seage said:

Wait what? I have the GoPro Hero 7 Black and I keep it plugged in to a battery pack all day. It never dies. 

plugged maybee. (Is hundrets topics on internet SAD gopro 7/8 customers who face this problem )

you canot record and charge battery in gopro 7/8 always drain batery % = ignore pluged powerbank if you RECORD.

you can remove batery out plug powerbak and record yes.(timelapse example)

you canot RECORD video and charge batery in gopro 7/8 SAME TIME! Is writen in product manual anyway.

DJI Osmo action can do this. (example)

My west europe redneck style english maybe make this confusion. Try yourself Start recording some good quality video plug powerbank and you self see after some minutes you % battery fall down not charging up.If you stop recording inmediatly batery start charge % up.

Back to topic insta360 one R

I wait for review on this chanel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgyvzxg11MtNDfgDQKqlPvQ i like style what he test and compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

plugged maybee. (Is hundrets topics on internet SAD gopro 7/8 customers who face this problem )

you canot record and charge battery in gopro 7/8 always drain batery % = ignore pluged powerbank if you RECORD.

you can remove batery out plug powerbak and record yes.(timelapse example)

you canot RECORD video and charge batery in gopro 7/8 SAME TIME! Is writen in product manual anyway.

DJI Osmo action can do this. (example)

My west europe redneck style english maybe make this confusion. Try yourself Start recording some good quality video plug powerbank and you self see after some minutes you % battery fall down not charging up.If you stop recording inmediatly batery start charge % up.

Back to topic insta360 one R

I wait for review on this chanel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgyvzxg11MtNDfgDQKqlPvQ i like style what he test and compare. 

Thats my mistake, friend. I actually didnt know, since when I'm plugged into a powerbank, my cameras never died. I just assumed it was charging, but i guess it was juicing it up in the downtime and keeping it from dying the entire time it was plugged in. Also, I mixed up "charging" with "powered". My backup battery is REPLACING the onboard battery while its plugged in. Something I had no idea about. I thought that on your camera, when you were recording, and connected to a powerbank, you camera was still dying, which was what was confusing me. But i get it now. Sorry for that! And glad I learned something new! (Like not needing to even have the battery in my gopro while its plugged in.) 

 

And it looks like your dreams came true, haha. His new video just dropped 3 hours ago XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argh, Insta360 One X2 due out later this year?!?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Argh, Insta360 One X2 due out later this year?!?!

 

That may be a better upgrade for me since I suspect the R may not play well at the end of my 9-foot selfie-stick (too heavy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...