New Segway self-balancing wheelchair faster than my KS16S?

LanghamP

This doesn't seem quite right in regards to its 24 mph top speed, but then again Segway is releasing a rather track worthy electric motorcycle.

https://www.slashgear.com/segway-reveals-weird-s-pod-balancing-chair-and-air-t15-e-scooter-03605155/

Rather than forcing the rider to stand up at the handlebars, the S-Pod gives them a proper seat. It’s a little like a wheelchair in that way, and indeed there’s a joystick controller to navigate the S-Pod rather than Segway’s traditional method of recognizing where the rider is leaning. The reassurance is that not only does the chair have the company’s self-balancing tech, but some backup wheels too.

• Like 2

Segway won’t, at least initially, be selling the S-Pod to individual riders. Instead it sees it as having potential in theme parks and malls: areas where...

...24mph is absolutely cool beans!

To me the specs seem waaay off for a vehicle with two small parallel tires and restricted possibilities for counter-leaning in turns. Bah.

• Like 1

How about this?

61TzjIEmPVL._AC_.jpg

41CNom-B0aL._AC_.jpg

61WooCDUNeL._AC_SL1044_.jpg

Replace hoverboard with hoverwheel and enjoy a luxury ride! And... forget about overleans!!!

Should be pretty cheap, since it's just a seat with two wheels, it's just an attachment to hoverwheel. But nothing prevents anyone from towing a nice massage chair:

61b1A7Tdj9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Aneta
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Replace hoverboard with hoverwheel and enjoy a luxury ride! And... forget about overleans!!!

What a concept... Now you can travel at jogging speed more safely! Somehow I think the persons in the photos are not anywhere near the average customer weight demographic...

Nah, I prefer a rear wheel drive. Even better, an all wheel drive! Even best, both!

• Like 1

The Verge already crashed an S-Pod. https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/8/21056268/segway-s-pod-first-drive-hands-on-ces-2020

It has to move the chair forward or back in relation to the wheels in order to balance the rider, which makes sense. If the wheels get stuck on something, it's going to launch you out of the chair. This thing is for ... people who are too lazy to ride a Segway?! Standing too much effort?! LOL It's pretty cool for a wheelchair, I guess.

I thought the intent of this device was more of a mobility device for differently (dis)baled. I don’t know if I get it otherwise. I agree with @erk1024... maybe we have finally jumped the shark as a race. Humans in powered chairs. The height of laziness. On the other hand... maybe it would be a little fun :)