Kingsong KS18XL or Inmotion V8. Which is better for a beginner?

Arun Nayar

So I am a complete beginner when it comes to EUCs. Never rode one but very interested in getting one. After doing a of research, I decided to get an Inmotion V8 as my first wheel. However this morning my Uncle (who's also into EUCs) told me that he was willing to give me his Kingsong KS18XL as he doesn't use it anymore. The 18XL is way better than the V8 in every way but I've heard that it's quite heavy and a complicated wheel. Therefore I was wondering that would I (someone who has never rode an EUC) be able to learn and manage the 18xl? Or should I stick to the V8?

Don’t worry about it. V8 is easier to learn on, but the difference is not dramatic. If you get an 18xl there’s no reason to get a v8 for learning. You will learn it anyway. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Arun Nayar said:

be able to learn and manage the 18xl? Or should I stick to the V8?

Absolutely no hesitation: go for the 18XL! Longer range, better comfort, better ability on rough stuff, more stability, more reassuring for a beginer. The only aspect that coud change this jugement is weight: do you have to carry it on stairs/train/bus often? Even so, in my opinion, the 18XL many advantages justify the effort. I wish you good rides! :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arun Nayar said:

So I am a complete beginner when it comes to EUCs. Never rode one but very interested in getting one. After doing a of research, I decided to get an Inmotion V8 as my first wheel. However this morning my Uncle (who's also into EUCs) told me that he was willing to give me his Kingsong KS18XL as he doesn't use it anymore. The 18XL is way better than the V8 in every way but I've heard that it's quite heavy and a complicated wheel. Therefore I was wondering that would I (someone who has never rode an EUC) be able to learn and manage the 18xl? Or should I stick to the V8?

Welcome to the community and praise your faith for having an uncle like him:rolleyes:. But for sure: You can´t do wrong with a top end wheel like that but you will skip the newcomer´s disappointment when you recognize your beginner´s wheel will get timed out very quickly. The only advice I would like to give is to wrap up the wheel for obvious beginner´s issues. Cover it with bumper tape and you´re good.

You also might like to take a look at this YT video from Ecodrift (enable english subtitles please) :

They show up how an absolute beginner picked up from the street gets able to ride on a similar wheel in less than one hour (watch from 8:37 onwards). Very helpful starter instructions in my opinion.

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy
  • Like 1

18XL! It's no contest.

Wasting a lot of money on a 3+ year old, underpowered wheel (IMO) you would upgrade from quickly

vs.

getting a modern performance wheel with the some of the best range, speed, and safety the market has to offer, even better if it's used which just means the same for a lower price. Literally the best possible option for any wheel buy.

One could even argue the wider tire and bigger size of the 18XL (leg leverage against the shell) make it more stable and therefore easier to learn on.

18XL and never look back.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Arun Nayar said:

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm gonna take up my Uncle's offer and get the 18XL

Good choice! My first reaction was that I would’ve sacrificed a goat to drink it’s blood to get the 18XL at the cost of a V8... :w00t2::efeec46606::wacko::efee8c29ce:

• Like 3

I just saw a review on the Gotway MCM5 and it's quite good. Apparently it can be fitted with a 2.5in tire too. It "feels like a 16inch wheel". Zero controller defects, good shell and waterproofing.

37lbs (shy of 17kg) which is only 2.5kg lighter than a tesla but still it seems more robust and with 1500w should be quite a fast city wheel.

I'm less excited to try riding it at 35km/h or even 40km/h which it's supposed to handle but maybe it's safe enough for my 65kg body weight?

I'm excited to try a 2.5inch tire equipped 1500w mcm5. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alcatraz said:

It "feels like a 16inch wheel".

Well, it still isn’t. The MCM5 is clearly the most capable 14” wheel there is, so those comments are no surprise if the rider expects to ride a 14” wheel. The problem is that in Pythagora’s eyes even the excessively powered MCM4 is just another 14” wheel when it comes to conquering obstacles and sideways stability.

For a light rider as yourself it will surely feel more adept than for a larger guy.   Just remember what you are really riding, at all times.

• Like 1