Pedal envy

mike_bike_kite

I've had a few dings while learning on my V5f but I currently can't get the pedals to loosely go up when I'm stop. Mine tend to stay stuck in the down position after I ride and need a small thump to go up. Then when they're up they tend to fall down. On every video I see, everyone else's pedals go up and down with ease. I'm sure it's something simple but how do I get the movement adjusted correctly?

Getting stuck at the riding position sounds a bit worrying. I would take the pedals off for a very close inspection, especially at the spot where the pedal rests against the pedal bracket while riding. V10F pedals are known to crack and deform easily, and a few have even cracked clean off.

Do the pedals still have the original dihedral angle while riding, or are they drooping?

Edited by mrelwood

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I've had a few dings while learning on my V5f but I currently can't get the pedals to loosely go up when I'm stop. Mine tend to stay stuck in the down position after I ride and need a small thump to go up. Then when they're up they tend to fall down. On every video I see, everyone else's pedals go up and down with ease. I'm sure it's something simple but how do I get the movement adjusted correctly?

Edit: I don't recall a screw, but if there is a screw then undoubtedly my below recommendation is the bullshit way of doing things. Having a screw to adjust tension makes far more sense than fiddling around with oils.

-----

This was a problem on both sides of my V5 that comes from dry metal on dry metal contact. It won't help to just spray wd40 or wax oil into the joint because it can't get into the joint to lubricate.

1. Unscrew the metal dust covers.

2. Using a very long hex wrench, unscrew the long rod. I recall one rod being VERY difficult to unscrew.

3. Once out, use a light oil like wd40 if you like floppy pedals, or axle grease if you want a some stiffness.

The tolerances are VERY tight. My rods had metal shavings from the dry metal contact.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I've had a few dings while learning on my V5f but I currently can't get the pedals to loosely go up when I'm stop. Mine tend to stay stuck in the down position after I ride and need a small thump to go up. Then when they're up they tend to fall down.

The latter is easy to fix. It's because the small screw located in the middle under the pedal axle is loose. This screw prevents that the pedal can turn freely around the axle. Axle and pedal are meant to be fixated to each other and turn together.

Pedals not going up easily is much more suspicious. Maybe this is related:

BTW, in contrast to the V10 pedals, the V5f pedals are not known to crack.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure my pedals have the right dyhedral, on the V5F they are far more acute than this and haven't changed from how they started (apart from getting stuck at the bottom after a ride and then not staying up). I've tried putting WD40 oil in the joints and redone the screw under each pedal. It's behaving better when I play with the pedals but I guess I'll have to go for a ride tomorrow to really test things. One thing I forgot to mention is my pedals have that foam protection all over them so there's a possibility some got stuck inside. If the test run doesn't improve then I'll take off the pedals completely, apply WD40 everywhere and check there's no foam stuck anywhere.

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...