Suggestion for iPhone App & Gotway Nikola Plus

Hi everyone - 

I'm making the switch from an InMotion V10F to a Gotway Nikola Plus.  

I have an iPhone X.

When I visited the App store, the Gotway app only has one review, and it's bad.  Am I looking at the wrong App?

Darknessbot didn't work with iPhone/V10F...  Don't know if the issues will still be there with the Nikola...  It may work fine.

Also, so any of you Gotway users have a good suggestion for the App?  Alarm presets...etc.?  Any ideas for transitioning from the V10F to the Nikola Plus?

Thanks in advance - really appreciate the help!

• Like 1

There are two GotWay apps on the App Store. The later version is better but not great. I'd recommend using the GotWay app to set your wheel settings. Then use Darknessbot for regular riding. It has support for 100 Volt Nikola+. You don't need to use the GotWay app again except to change wheel ride settings. You can change the lights settings by quickly pressing the power button on the Nikola. 

My settings on the GotWay app:

Turn off 1st, 2nd alarm. Hard ride setting. 

1 hour ago, LZMutant said:

Hi everyone - 

I'm making the switch from an InMotion V10F to a Gotway Nikola Plus.  

I have an iPhone X.

When I visited the App store, the Gotway app only has one review, and it's bad.  Am I looking at the wrong App?

Darknessbot didn't work with iPhone/V10F...  Don't know if the issues will still be there with the Nikola...  It may work fine.

Also, so any of you Gotway users have a good suggestion for the App?  Alarm presets...etc.?  Any ideas for transitioning from the V10F to the Nikola Plus?

Thanks in advance - really appreciate the help!

Darkness works with the Nikola

4 hours ago, greentung said:

There are two GotWay apps on the App Store. The later version is better but not great. I'd recommend using the GotWay app to set your wheel settings. Then use Darknessbot for regular riding. It has support for 100 Volt Nikola+. You don't need to use the GotWay app again except to change wheel ride settings. You can change the lights settings by quickly pressing the power button on the Nikola. 

My settings on the GotWay app:

Turn off 1st, 2nd alarm. Hard ride setting. 

Hey - thanks greentung...

There is a Goway App and a Keybe Gotway App...  (forgive me if I'm misspelling that).  So is it Keybe you're recommending?

Not knowing where the alarms are set I'd like at least one alarm...  I'm coming from an EUC brand that has a lot of rider protections baked in and it will take time for me to wrap my arms around the free-spirited Gotway experience.

Also thanks to tvbic - if Darknessbot works with the new IOS 13 that'd be great news.  They also have an Apple Watch App (I think) which would be awesome.

Thank you!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LZMutant said:

Also thanks to tvbic - if Darknessbot works with the new IOS 13 that'd be great news.  They also have an Apple Watch App (I think) which would be awesome.

Thank you!

@LZMutant Be careful, and don’t delete DarknessBot on iOS 13. We have some bugs on it. (With restoring purchases and CloudKit access).
If you just updating that’s will be ok 👌 

And don’t forget to check if DarknessBot voltage settings is matching your wheel,  to have a right battery percentage value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, december11 said:

@LZMutant Be careful, and don’t delete DarknessBot on iOS 13. We have some bugs on it. (With restoring purchases and CloudKit access).
If you just updating that’s will be ok 👌 

And don’t forget to check if DarknessBot voltage settings is matching your wheel,  to have a right battery percentage value. 

Hi - 

It appears I have version 5.3.  Is that okay or should I wait on an update?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, LZMutant said:

Not knowing where the alarms are set I'd like at least one alarm...  I'm coming from an EUC brand that has a lot of rider protections baked in and it will take time for me to wrap my arms around the free-spirited Gotway experience.

All Gotways have a non-removable third alarm that is programmed to a speed that’s about 80% of the absolute max speed at zero load. The speed threshold decreases with battery level, and on a 84V MSX it is 58km/h at 100% battery, and down to 45km/h at 10% battery. The thersholds might be similiar on the 100V Nikola+.

Since the beeps are often difficult to hear at those speeds, I’d recommend setting the tiltback on as a safeguard. I have it at the maximum 48km/h, which being a very gentle one would easily let me push it to 51km/h. It never behaves suddenly or jerky. I rarely exceed 45km/h though.

DarknessBot can set it’s own alarms, but I wouldn’t count on them, since the connection might drop without you knowing.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

on a 84V MSX it is 58km/h at 100% battery, and down to 45km/h at 10% battery. The thersholds might be similiar on the 100V Nikola+.

Here are all "known" 3rd alarms, also for 100V GW wheels - unfortionately not for the Nikola:

9 hours ago, LZMutant said:

Hey - thanks greentung...

There is a Goway App and a Keybe Gotway App...  (forgive me if I'm misspelling that).  So is it Keybe you're recommending?

Thank you!

I believe it's the Kebye Gotway app. The newer GotWat App one is has blue GW letters inside a gray background icon. The older one has white background icon. I wouldn't bother with the older version. While it can set the ride firmness of the newer wheels like the Nikola. It doesn't recognize that the Nikola has twice the number of wacky LED strip settings, one different funky color scheme for each day of the week. 

Make sure you set the battery to 100V in the Darknessbot if you want accurate charge level reading. 

3 hours ago, greentung said:

I believe it's the Kebye Gotway app. The newer GotWat App one is has blue GW letters inside a gray background icon. The older one has white background icon. I wouldn't bother with the older version. While it can set the ride firmness of the newer wheels like the Nikola. It doesn't recognize that the Nikola has twice the number of wacky LED strip settings, one different funky color scheme for each day of the week. 

Make sure you set the battery to 100V in the Darknessbot if you want accurate charge level reading. 

Hey just an FYI - I have the 84V/2100WH version.

And thanks again for you help!

Hey LZMutant, sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I'm also a V10F user who recently ordered a Nikola+ (100v tho) and use an iPhone. I'm both appreciating this thread and bookmarking in case you update with any learnings or I'll post if I discover any when I get my wheel. Cheers-

13 hours ago, LZMutant said:

Hi - 

It appears I have version 5.3.  Is that okay or should I wait on an update?

Thanks!

AFAIK it's works normally with Nikola. So, if you're already updated it's should be ok. 
I think that only new users (installing the app at 5.3 version and don't use previously versions) have the bug I wrote above.

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

Hey LZMutant, sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I'm also a V10F user who recently ordered a Nikola+ (100v tho) and use an iPhone. I'm both appreciating this thread and bookmarking in case you update with any learnings or I'll post if I discover any when I get my wheel. Cheers-

Thanks man - here's a new one for the experts...

I did some initial settings in the Keybe Gotway app.  Killed off the LED's, the two alarms, went "strong" style and set my tilt-back at 42KM (around 26mph) until I get used to the new wheel, at which point I'll set it higher.

Those settings took and I went off to do something else.  When I returned I decided to do a calibration, because the wheel seems to be tilted back a few degrees from the factory.  

The app won't work.  All I get is a white screen.  I've exited the app, restarted the wheel...etc.

Any advice?  I got the calibration instructions online but haven't been able to try them.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi - 

So disregard that last post - I think that the app failed to boot up because Darknessbot was also open.

It appears the calibration worked, so next up it's inflating the tire and going for a ride, probably tomorrow since the rest of the afternoon is booked up.

One last question.  What does "Remove Binding" mean?  I'm assuming there are limitations on the wheel's performance until certain milestones are reached?

Again - thanks so much.  

And AtlasP - stay tuned, as I'm sure more questions will follow.

Larry

• Like 2

AtlasP - watch out for the Gotway pads that come with the wheel.  I peeled the backing completely off of mine, and the adhesive stuck to the backing.

You'll need a sharp knife to get between the backing and the clear adhesive that sticks it to the wheel.  

Also, I was cut twice on protruding stickers.  Those suckers are sharp - you may want to remove them if they aren't fixed down.

• Like 1

I'm so excited. Mine won't come until the end of the month.

Most of your notes on things like the sh1tty/cheap stickers, weird app situation, inward pedal angle, etc are things I have read about before so I'm glad to not read any major surprises yet, but still it's good to see them all in one place.

I went 100v mostly for headroom/overkill--this will be my second upgrade (third wheel purchase) in less than 12 months (V8->V10F->Nik+ 100v), and I just didn't want to be eyeing yet another one 6 months from now or something (although I'm still super curious about the rumored/teased InMotion V10 refresh or especially V12). I'll probably set the speed limit around 30/31mph (same as most high-end, non-100v wheels) at the beginning to get used to it but then at least I have the option to increase that in software without purchasing yet another wheel if I decide I'm comfortable and want still more speed. Also that headroom means being able to sustain the speeds I'm comfortable with (likely in the mid to upper 20s for the foreseeable future) for a longer portion of the battery before any noticeable throttling. We'll see. :-)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

Congrats on the soon-to-be new wheel of yours, @AtlasP!

To prevent a minor disappointment later on, the highest tilt-back setting for GW wheels is 48km/h (31mph?). If you want to go any faster than the tilt-back allows, you must disable the tilt-back alltogether and rely on hearing the beeps. The 100V Nikola is an extremely fast wheel though, and you will likely not want to go 40mph any day soon.

Besides just beeps at 15% battery, the only actual throttling (= tilt-back) you will get is when the battery reaches 0%. So if you are an aggressive or fast rider, you will have to throttle your riding style yourself a bit as the battery gets low.

Although, 0% on a Gotway is still 3.3V per battery cell, which is about when an 18XL has just started the throttling. So your wheel is still easily capable of a peaceful acceleration to 30mph despite the battery being just about ”empty”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AtlasP said:

I'm so excited. Mine won't come until the end of the month.

Most of your notes on things like the sh1tty/cheap stickers, weird app situation, inward pedal angle, etc are things I have read about before so I'm glad to not read any major surprises yet, but still it's good to see them all in one place.

I went 100v mostly for headroom/overkill--this will be my second upgrade (third wheel purchase) in less than 12 months (V8->V10F->Nik+ 100v), and I just didn't want to be eyeing yet another one 6 months from now or something (although I'm still super curious about the rumored/teased InMotion V10 refresh or especially V12). I'll probably set the speed limit around 30/31mph (same as most high-end, non-100v wheels) at the beginning to get used to it but then at least I have the option to increase that in software without purchasing yet another wheel if I decide I'm comfortable and want still more speed. Also that headroom means being able to sustain the speeds I'm comfortable with (likely in the mid to upper 20s for the foreseeable future) for a longer portion of the battery before any noticeable throttling. We'll see. :-)

Totally understand.  One thing I noticed in transitioning from the V10 is that your muscle memory anticipates certain tilt-back and resistance, and when it doesn't happen you can go too fast and then brake too abruptly; which causes wobbles and crashes.  I wiped out once because I had no idea I was going as fast as I was - unconsciously I thought the wheel would push back around 24mph, and so I braked too hard and...boom.  (wearing gear - no injuries.)

So be very aware that the Nikola, besides being heavier and more robust, will confound your muscle memory.  It also has a lower center of gravity, making it easier to ride in some ways (mounts and dismounts) and more difficult (control).

It's all a learning curve.  Just watch your speed because nothing will really stop you from going really fast.  Eventually this will all become second nature (or so I'm told!)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LZMutant said:

you can go too fast and then brake too abruptly; which causes wobbles and crashes

I've learned that speed wobbles on EUCs when braking are generally due to minute differences in the bends of your knees which causes an oscillation which is self-perpetuating & self-compounding. The solution if you experience speed wobbles when braking is just to straighten your legs/knees and this kills any wobble immediately. [Edit: or yes, carving also works, but takes more space.]

18 hours ago, LZMutant said:

It also has a lower center of gravity, making it easier to ride in some ways

I'm familiar with this sensation on my buddy's KS16S which I ride all the time.

Edited by AtlasP

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

The solution if you experience speed wobbles when braking is just to straighten your legs/knees and this kills any wobble immediately.

That is what usually works, yes. Another is to carve even just slightly when braking, where the uneven pressure on the pedals stops the wobbles. If the ground is rough, you need bent legs or your feet might bounce off the wheel. 

I very rarely got wobbles on my V10F.  The more I rode the less they happened; and when they did I was able to solve it simply by relaxing.  Don't know about you but a new wheel (no matter what it is) makes me more tense and more susceptible to the wobbles.  Just have to practice and build up hours on the pedals.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:56 PM, AtlasP said:

I went 100v mostly for headroom/overkill--this will be my second upgrade (third wheel purchase) in less than 12 months (V8->V10F->Nik+ 100v)

@LZMutant

I'm also in the "3 wheels / 12 months = Nikola+" club. My 100V Nikola+ arrives next week!

Thanks for the info about the build quality. It's interesting to hear about your experiences coming from the Solowheels.

My path to get there was much different: 18XL -> Monster V3 -> Nikola+. I bought the 18XL for myself and a OneWheel XR for my daughter to ride, but she decided she liked the Xaiomi 365 better. So I sold the XR, and what was I going to do with the extra cash?! Get a Monster V3, obviously. The 18XL is a fine all-around wheel. But the Monster... Wow. Crazy fun! So fun, I wasn't riding the 18XL, and a guy at work wanted to get in on the EUC action (another convert!). So I sold it, and what was I going to do with the extra cash? 

The charm of the Monster is how extreme it is. And I'm hoping the Nikola+ will be extreme in a different way (torque and maneuverability) and that will be reason enough to ride it. Love the lights. I want to try both wheels in off-road settings as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...