Steelbird air 2

Hard to know whether to go the MC or MTN bike full face helmet route. In California my concern is the MC helmet would be too hot. Though, as I write this, I realize I could just put my MC helmet on and see. The Steelbirds seem very well ventilated.

• 1 year later...

Just got mine in. The lining looks different to yours and even though the fit is quite snug around my head and cheeks the chin can be lifted up very easily even when it's tightened up. 

If I lift the visor without holding the chin down the chin piece lifts up all the way up to  in front of my nose and I have to push it back down (does this happen to yours as well @stephen? never used a helmet with a visor before). Ventilation is good but the chin piece is a bit close to my chin for my liking. I have an rather long head and chin though so I don't blame the helmet for that... Going to use it until it's broken in a bit before passing final judgement on comfort but for now it feels good enough.

31 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

Just got mine in. The lining looks different to yours and even though the fit is quite snug around my head and cheeks the chin can be lifted up very easily even when it's tightened up. 

If I lift the visor without holding the chin down the chin piece lifts up all the way up to  in front of my nose and I have to push it back down (does this happen to yours as well @stephen? never used a helmet with a visor before). Ventilation is good but the chin piece is a bit close to my chin for my liking. I have an rather long head and chin though so I don't blame the helmet for that... Going to use it until it's broken in a bit before passing final judgement on comfort but for now it feels good enough.

Mine fits snug, the chin is pretty close but it isn't to bad it's not been a problem lifting the visor up either  it's a good  helmet for £50 with just a couple of minor niggles , the padding beds in after abit i now use it for my motorbike as I prefer it to my fullface  heavy helmet ,I like the wide view 

• Like 1

I wonder if it's my head shape or the different liner that makes the chin bar so easy to rotate up? 

Either way I'll give it a bit of time -- it feels and looks good other than those complaints. Maybe Once the padding is compressed some and I can tighten the strap a bit more the chin issue will go away. Will make sure to post further for other riders interested in the helmet.

17 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

Will make sure to post further for other riders interested in the helmet.

Please do, I am still interested in the Steelbird :)

As you suggest, my concern is the somewhat close chin piece, given that the main reason for wearing full face is chin protection. Also, if the helmet isn't particularly secure on the head, any gap there is could be taken up upon crashing. I love the look of it though...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

Please do, I am still interested in the Steelbird :)

As you suggest, my concern is the somewhat close chin piece, given that the main reason for wearing full face is chin protection. Also, if the helmet isn't particularly secure on the head, any gap there is could be taken up upon crashing. I love the look of it though...

I'd advise you to pick a different helmet if you have a big weird head like I do. The close chin is quite concerning. I've tried giving myself a good punch in the chin and, though it's lessened, I can definitely feel the impact of the chin bar against my face. And that force is nothing compared to what would be dealt out in a crash.

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 1

I really appreciate your honest opinion, it can be hard for people to do that sometimes when they have spent money on things! When it comes to helmets, maybe its not appreciated just how much force is sent to the chinbar in a faceplant. There is a reason why helmets like the Fox Proframe have such a massive void between the mouth and chinbar. As a comparison, I just tried moving the chinbar on my 661 Reset helmet to my chin and to do so took a fair bit of effort and nearly garrotted me with the chin strap. I consider the Reset to be about as slimline a full face helmet as I would be prepared to wear. The Fox for example is super bulky in comparison but theres acres of space.

I really really wanted a Steelbird and as much as I am a sucker for looks (which it has in spades), I dont think I can bring myself to sacrifice a potential jaw injury nor the aggro of wearing a full face helmet in the first place (which I dont like doing) just to look awesome. A real shame :(

Maybe one day I will get to try one on and just see how it fits my head. I do have a bit of a long, thin pinhead so I am not holding out much hope but you never know.

Thanks again for your comments, really appreciated.

• Like 2

I'm kinda warming up to the helmet as time goes, especially as the weather gets colder the face shield is nice. Not sure if the issue with the chin bar lifting up easily is normal or not. Seems to have to do with the fact that the helmet doesn't wrap all that far around the back of the head and so can rotate backwards more easily..

The close chin bar isn't the best but it will definitely protect better than nothing or the """chin bar""" on my artic spin sl helmet. The light weight is good and the helmet is getting more comfortable with wear. Visibility is good.

Might still end up shelling out the big bucks for a TSG pass but not quite yet.

Edited by I_Must_Bust

7 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

I'm kinda warming up to the helmet as time goes, especially as the weather gets colder the face shield is nice. Not sure if the issue with the chin bar lifting up easily is normal or not. Seems to have to do with the fact that the helmet doesn't wrap all that far around the back of the head and so can rotate backwards more easily..

The close chin bar isn't the best but it will definitely protect better than nothing or the """chin bar""" on my artic spin sl helmet. The light weight is good and the helmet is getting more comfortable with wear. Visibility is good.

Might still end up shelling out the big bucks for a TSG pass but not quite yet.

Put some foam near the chin to soften it if it's ever needed👍

1 minute ago, stephen said:

Yeast it's nice soft stuff too  

Just for my knowledge what happens when you push up on the chin bar of yours? Mine goes up about 6cm with a fairly light push. Like I said before if I push the visor up without holding the chin bar in place the resistance build in to the visor mechanism is enough to lift the chin