Newbie Review of Kingsong 16X

sparetire55

Glad I could help out with the app. I like you style of review a lot. Actually we might share si challenges since I have problems with my knees, hips, lower back and shoulders. But my right knee is the major problem.

I myself are waiting for my KS16X to arrive still hopefully by next after this weekend. And hopefully the firmware update will be released by then. 

As you get more miles into your feet you are likely to be less affected to have balanced feet stand. I now tend to stand with left foot in front (my gas) and right foot a bit behind (my balance and brake). I started to adapt stand after about 1000-1200 km or so. After 2500 km my natural leg suspension has become much better so I don't lose control as easy on a suprice bump. 

Really nice to read your review. Brings me back to when I started to ride in April-is last year, and a huge smile of the life altering change this has been for me. 

• Like 2

Congrats @sparetire55! Great review of your 7 day journey! 

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I have problems with my knees, hips, lower back and shoulders. But my right knee is the major problem.

Wow all of your pains make me hurt! ! What’s going on with your right knee?

• Like 1

Congrats on the 16X. 

Just some quick points:

• take it slow, speed gets you into trouble real fast. I’m amazed you’re going 20+ mph already 😱
  • take lots of breaks: my first 700 miles, I needed to take a break every 15 minutes or else my control degraded quite a bit
  • regarding overhanging your feet forward to reduce strain: this works because you’re biasing your center of gravity forward, such that when in a neutral stance, your weight is forward. So it takes less to no effort to accelerate. The downside is you’re going to have less braking efficiency.

Very good observation about the wheel carving hard instead of banking turns. Now that you’ve pointed that out, I don’t know if I’ve ever experienced a banking high speed turn.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Congrats @sparetire55! Great review of your 7 day journey! 

Wow all of your pains make me hurt! ! What’s going on with your right knee?

Well in general I have up and down days. This monday I hit a watercovered manhole at 25kmh (15mph) it was about 5cm (2") going down and 15cm (6") high cumming up. 

It wasn't there before my vacation, but going to work first day in 3 weeks I guess they needed acces to it. I recall it was being covered with gravel before. 

1080_5e786860-45e9-46fa-9dbe-547076a9735

I hope that my KS16X tyre will have a little better suspension effect compared to my KS18L. The review from @sparetire55 is actually one of the most structured and inspiring I have seen (for a long time and ever as rated: ever). As the Cartilage on the inside lower part on my right knee is eaten up by inflammation the bone hit bone on a hard impact as I got from above picture. The reason was I only saw it as a 1" deep and never had issues with it before. 

I look forward to more reports from you @sparetire55

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

AS the Cartilage on the inside lower part on my right knee is eaten up by inflammation the bone hit bon

Ugh....there are knee braces available that will unweight the inside (medial) compartment. 

16 hours ago, Unventor said:

As you get more miles into your feet you are likely to be less affected to have balanced feet stand. I now tend to stand with left foot in front (my gas) and right foot a bit behind (my balance and brake). I started to adapt stand after about 1000-1200 km or so. After 2500 km my natural leg suspension has become much better so I don't lose control as easy on a suprice bump. 

Really nice to read your review. Brings me back to when I started to ride in April-is last year, and a huge smile of the life altering change this has been for me. 

I do tend to ride with my knees pretty bent forward in case of the unexpected bumps (which is hell on the quads/knees). During my research I almost purchased a Onewheel XR instead of the KS 16x. Most of the horror stories on Onewheels were from leaning forward with your body (like this / ) instead of keeping your body over the wheel and using your legs/knees/toes to press forward on the device (body more like this [ ). I think those horror stories have saved me a few times already on my commute when the shadows hit just right on the bike path and I don't see a tree root. Because I have my knees bent instead of being stiff and leaning forward with my body, I'm able to absorb the bump without much issue. Scary to think what would happen if I hit those stiff. I'll have to try the staggered stance one of these days once my muscles build up a bit more.

12 hours ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

Great review.  I'm jealous, I think it's taken me 800 km to get to the point you're at in a week. 

I'll try your trick of hanging toes off the front of the pedals to see if that helps with foot soreness.

Thanks for the compliment! I attribute it to the hours on Youtube I spent preparing, and all of the balance sports I've participated in growing up. Hanging my feet off the front of the pedals definitely helps with endurance, but you do sacrifice some agility, bump absorption, and braking power by doing so. I really only ride like that when going for long rides (20+mi stretches). I'd suggest keeping your speed at/under 15mph while you're testing it out.

5 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Congrats on the 16X. 

Just some quick points:

• take it slow, speed gets you into trouble real fast. I’m amazed you’re going 20+ mph already 😱
  • take lots of breaks: my first 700 miles, I needed to take a break every 15 minutes or else my control degraded quite a bit
  • regarding overhanging your feet forward to reduce strain: this works because you’re biasing your center of gravity forward, such that when in a neutral stance, your weight is forward. So it takes less to no effort to accelerate. The downside is you’re going to have less braking efficiency.

Very good observation about the wheel carving hard instead of banking turns. Now that you’ve pointed that out, I don’t know if I’ve ever experienced a banking high speed turn.

Thank you for the pointers! I do tend to cruise closer to 15-20mph just for the safety aspect. As I ride, I'm constantly asking myself, "What would happen if the wheel just cut out right now?" and I try to position my body in a way that will minimize the impact/damage if that were to happen. Also, I'm wearing the full gambit of protection (full-face helm, wrist guards, gloves, elbow pads, knee pads, and shoes with good ankle support) since my hands are my money makers.

Since my commute is only 11mi or so, I'm not too worried about taking breaks, but on the longer rides I can definitely feel when my muscles are fatigued and my reaction time slows. When you take a break do you typically leave the wheel powered on or do you turn it off?

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

As the Cartilage on the inside lower part on my right knee is eaten up by inflammation the bone hit bone on a hard impact as I got from above picture. The reason was I only saw it as a 1" deep and never had issues with it before.

My cartilage is toast in my right knee as well. Docs say I have less than 1/3 of meniscus left and the next steps are injections since we want to procrastinate a knee replacement as long as possible. I wish you a speedy recovery! Lots of ice, elevation and ibuprofen are my go-to's when doing a lot of high-impact (on the knee) sports.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ugh....there are knee braces available that will unweight the inside (medial) compartment. 

Do you have some links? Most of the knee braces I've found (over the counter) don't offer much medial/lateral support.

Day 8/100-120mi

I messed around with foot/weight placement quite a lot. I was able to consistently reproduce hard acceleration speed wobbles and hard braking wobbles. When I ducked my feet more on the pedals (more like this \ / instead of like this | | ) and placed the weight on the outside edges of my feet/pedals, hard acceleration speed wobbles disappeared entirely. When hard braking, the foot placement and weight distribution seemed to matter less, but I noticed the more I clamped my legs/calves on the wheel when braking, the less braking wobbles happened. I'm going to keep playing around with this and see how consistent it is. I reached a max speed of 29mph (according to Darknessbot) on my commute. I was a little late leaving for work and hit some freshly paved asphalt for about 1mi, so I decided to turn on the jets for a bit to see how it felt. It was scary... Not because the wheel was unstable or felt like it was maxing out, but because falls at that speed would do some serious damage (even with full protection). So I think I'll keep it closer to 20mph from now on. Haven't messed with the PSI in the tire much, but I think that's the next experiment after I determine the consistency of my acceleration/braking wobbles solutions.

Edited by sparetire55
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sparetire55 said:

Do you have some links? Most of the knee braces I've found (over the counter) don't offer much medial/lateral support.

Sure thing:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/medial-unloader-knee-brace/g4parr4uno7arge

Amazing what Amazon sells these days.

Here is an example of the biomechanical principals behind the design. 

48536912496_4d7fdcc99e_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, Rehab1 said:

Sure thing:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/medial-unloader-knee-brace/g4parr4uno7arge

Amazing what Amazon sells these days.

Here is an example of the biomechanical principals behind the design. 

48536912496_4d7fdcc99e_b.jpg

Bummer. All the good ones are Unavailable :(

• Like 1