Advice for a more "mature" guy :)

IDC

I think a moderate sized wheel plus an eBike is almost the perfect urban transportation solution. The wheel for short and medium distances while you have the eBike for long distances.

I know this sounds a bit ludicrous, but consider buying as your first wheel one that barely fits onto your eBike, such as one of the 16-17 inchers. As in, to carry one vehicle with another vehicle. The KS18L might be a tad too big for that, and then you end up with a somewhat redundant solution whereby your eBike and wheel covers the same function (and weight). In addition, big fast wheels means you crash at big fast speeds, and so your eBike is incomparably safer at those speeds.

Personally I'd go for any of these

1. KS16X + eBike

2. Tesla/Nikola + eBike

3. MCM5 + eBike

4. KS18XL only as your do everything wheel, at some safety cost.

Although I'd be reluctant to part with a Stromer ST2.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1

I also vote for a KS18L/XL as your "responsible" wheel.  Very stout, well built wheel with a very low failure rate.  I have an 18S which I beat to hell and back within the past 5 weeks, 400 miles later its still kicking like a champ. 

• Like 1

hey IDC,

plenty of older guys here and we are all a bit smarter and risk averse. Find yourself a 16 inch wheel Kingsong or Gotway, which we,ll give u a good commute and not so hard to lug around, and before u even get on it, "GEAR-Up".

Get a good full face MTB helmet.Body armour,wrist guards,gloves and knee pads. Your going to fall but with this on its no big deal whilst learning .Plenty of people can give u advice to safety gear and save u having to do the research if ur interested.Then u become a stupendous,silver sidewalk surfer!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:05 PM, IDC said:

image.png.8a3cd941d32feacbfdbb5ee60f21a494.png

1) Solely from safety perspective, no. No-one should. But it’s about wether it’s worth the risk. In which case, hell yeah you should! I am a high risk rider due to my health condition, but I gear up for every ride, and have ridden 17000 immeasurably fun and enjoyable kilometers on my EUCs. And have found and been to countless places I would never have otherwise, met many cool fellow riders, and I am in a lot better shape and mood than I otherwise would be. I have crashed four times, and only twice got slightly hurt, both while off-roading on a questionable surface.

2) Around 2000W, which has been the standard for over a year.

3) Any model you end up with, you should learn it’s quirks beforehand to decide which are the ones you can live with. They all have some.

4) Yes, in 2-14 days.

5) 18XL is the gold standard for comfort, safety, speed, range, durability, usability, and issues track record. Control app excluded, but the app is really only required before the first ride.

• Like 2

Thanks all for the great advice and encouragement :) 

I ended up ordering a V10F, simply cause it is a bit cheaper and established brand, with most requirements for power/battery, etc, and secretly hoping to pass it on to my wife once I update to something different once I get over the learning curve.

• Like 1

@IDC I didn't see anyone mention safety gear. If you are concerned about your knees, get some good knee protection and wrist guards with palm plates. The safety section of the forum has lots of good suggestions. Lots of minor falls while learning, and even after getting good at staying on it. Knees are the most important I would say...besides maybe your head!

BTW, I'm just under your age, but close, around the same weight (195-205...varies) ....on my 3rd EUC with the KS 18L. I am real happy with the 18" wheel. The KS16S was just a bit small for me.

• Upvote 2