UK Reseller markup vs group purchase

london

Hey all,

Has anyone got any experience purchasing directly from Kingsong in the Shenzhen? or any other manufacturer for that matter..

I enquired directly with KS about a small batch order of 20 units for the KS-18XL. They gave me a shipped price that's less than half the price of the leading UK reseller.

Does anyone have any interest in a group purchase?

Hey guys,

I am not sure of tax obligations for a bulk order from China. I'd expect a good 20% import duty - not sure if VAT applies. For the KS-18XL I was quoted 1200USD shipped from Kingsong direct.

So approximately 950GBP plus taxes. Does anyone have any experience importing from China? I've only ever ordered bits and pieces. Even if it cost 1500 GBP, thats still 700 less than the local option. Sounds like a worthwhile chunk?

As for the model, the 18XL is what I've got my eye on and I'd love to just buy it locally :efefa07c43: but its an expensive machine at almost 2200 GBP if I do that :efefc8626c:  

I think that if you to bring in that amount of wheels you would be putting your head above the parapet to get noticed which would mean around 20% import tax plus 17.5% vat. 

On the other hand, you might not which would be winner winner chicken dinner but I think you would have to go into this with an assumption for the worst.

I think we all know which UK dealer is being referred to and yes their prices are...well...pricey but they do everything properly by the books in terms of declarations, have a premises to support, wages to pay and technical/returns support if required. So yes they are expensive but having been in retail myself I can see where they are coming from. (Except their price for the V5F which had a 77% markup to what I paid) :ph34r:

OK thanks for the info Planemo. I think you are talking sense and agree on all points.

A 950 GBP purchase price plus 20% import tax and 17.5% VAT comes to approximately 1300 GBP. That's not bad for a KS-18XL and a fantastic reduction from 2200 GBP. A saving of approximately 900 GBP :o wow!

Regarding your points about running a retail business; I totally agree. I also appreciate the support that a good retailer can provide. But for me 2200 is prohibitively expensive and I personally cannot justify paying such a premium hence the exploration of alternative options.

Totally agree, £2200 is crazy money. I know I couldnt afford it either.

The retailers in the UK do seem to be seeing massive margins, but without knowing what their outgoings are it wouldnt be fair to say they are taking the pi$$. However, on the face of it, knowing what the average joe (and only buying 1 unit at a time even) can pay for certain wheels direct from China, it does seem that either the retailers are getting shafted or they are making quite good money.

On 5/27/2019 at 1:49 AM, london said:

I enquired directly with KS about a small batch order of 20 units for the KS-18XL

Be sure you have support for unlocking/speed settings - with the new app there is now some geo locking...

And before you get going i'd be sure to discuss how to handle DOA/defect/"not perfect" wheels and repairs/replacement parts while within the "warranty period".

I'd assume you'll be treated from KS as company and not consumer for bulk orders. Also UK law could treat you as commercial reseller/importer for such quantities regardless of making no personal profit by this?

Hope everything works out fine, just if one, two wheels have probs things can start getting tough....:(

Yeah all very valid points Chriull and things to beware of.

It doesn't seem like any of that will be an issue though as there does not seem to be much interest in a group purchase.

For now my EUC plans are shelved ..unless I purchase a single unit from KS direct.

I'm curious what the actual cost price of a unit is. Any ideas?

I get that business wise there would be a time to recover staffing, HQ, r&d etc. But i know from my escooter the retail price was 50% above wholesale price.

I'd have been interested but i think i just want to get good with one wheel first before considering a new one. Heck it took me 7year of snowboarding before i actually committed to buying one (obvs rental isnt an option with eucs).

Don't forget UK business's also have to pay VAT on the profits - so say £900 ppu, there's another £180 VAT for business's to account for.

Also OP, you'd need to stump up the cash for 20 units, I can't see anyone paying you for a wheel which would arrive in 8-16 weeks... Then as said, if someone gets a failure in day 1, or day 180 they'll be coming your way to get it fixed... I'm not sure I could be bothered with the liability.

At least speedyfeet offer a 2 year warranty, safe payment options and 18 hours a day customer support....

• Like 1