[Ninebot One] Add griptape to the foot support

rahasiyam

Very cool video.

i know i woukd have been too lazy to detach the foot supports:) 

how did the "feel" change after you added it? Getting much more traction now?

Yeah it's better. I wear leather shoes so there is no crampons :) And when I jump off from the sidewalk, my feet don't shift.

Very cool video.

i know i woukd have been too lazy to detach the foot supports:) 

how did the "feel" change after you added it? Getting much more traction now?

Interested as well on how it feels, I like the footrests as they are pretty good, but more traction is always better :lol:

I did this when I first got mine I posted it a few weeks ago here http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/763-heavy-modded-ninebot-one-omg-its-great/

to answer your questions the difference is night and day, shifting and staying stable during rough sidewalks becomes basically effortless, nice to see someone finally put up a video of this yet the technique you used to apply the grip to the pedal might be a pain for some. you can tell I did it a bit different from my short clip 

I totally missed the griptape you posted @popcorn :huh: they should sell these pre-cut...

pre cut, again makes it to hard to apply properly.just apply the rectangle and cut afterwards. I change my grip about every two weeks.

I change my grip about every two weeks.

I think checking the tire pressure every two weeks is a chore, so I am scrapping that plan. The pedals as I said are good enough for my requirements.
I have no intention to service my workhorse that often... :) Maybe in 30 years when its an oldtimer, I will spend more time caressing it then riding. ;-)

I think checking the tire pressure every two weeks is a chore, so I am scrapping that plan. The pedals as I said are good enough for my requirements.
I have no intention to service my workhorse that often... :) Maybe in 30 years when its an oldtimer, I will spend more time caressing it then riding. ;-)

it takes me all of two minutes to check and reinflate, I do this every two days, the grip on pedals takes about 20 mins. I guess being a back country snowboarder all my life makes me enjoy making sure all my equipment is optimal before I head out..

I on the other hand, think it's to much work to safety gear up on something as safe as the EU not only would I overheat here where I live with safety gear on. all I ever wear at most is a helmet for other sports anyways. I even ride my dirtbike in sneakers half the time :/ maybe in 30 years when I'm an oldtimer lol  I honestly don't mind wiping out it's all in how you fall .

The work involved is small, but it adds up (I biked to school for years every day and I dont recall checking and reinflating tire pressure this often, usually it was done twice per year). And I see my EUC as a tool to get me to work and back, so I dont want to invest too much time in it, it basically just needs to work reliably. I service it regularly so it doesnt fall apart, but thats the end of it.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the video I pretty much immediately had to add griptape to my own 9b1... :D But I found it easier to apply the tape before cutting out the holes, and then just cutting along the metal, works faster and you don't have to pay that much attention to detail. With my 9b1, the Magnet stuck on the other side (and required a LOT of pressure) which confused me at first, and bent the metal plate a bit, but screwing it back on automatically unbents it, so don't worry about that when adding griptape to your own 9b1!
I'm quite happy with the change, the extra grip is really useful for gravel paths and rainy days, I wonder why the pedals don't come with griptape from the factory...

Not a ninebot, but I put grip tape on my IPS. I used 3M tread traction tape. I found it easier to cut multiple segments then try to craft one single segment.

It made a huge difference in rideability for me, in particular, with the grip take any shoes worked.

20151011_220433.jpg

Last week when it rained one day, I actually slipped off the pedals of my 9B1, I tried to look cool dismounting slowly while still rolling forward :rolleyes:. I lifted one foot off the pedal and tried to balance on one leg for a short distance but slipped off the bot and had to grab it so it wouldnt ride on without me.

Soooo during wintertime, I guess that will be a mod that I'll do nonetheless.

Last week when it rained one day, I actually slipped off the pedals of my 9B1,

Yea this mod is huge for me because I live in a rainforest haha no slipping for me and it's wet every day  

This looks cool, did you use a drill? Is that a pedal extension?

Yes, drilled with 3.2mm drilling bit first, then with M4 screw tap. 
The front piece is indeed pedal extension. Without them, hill climbing feels awkward.

cut_35.jpg

• 1 year later...

I did something similiar to the original poster on my own NB1.

I couldn't find any decent griptape that was large enough and didn't break my budget, so instead I took a trip to Clas Ohlson (a chain of hardware stores here in norway and sweden) and bought a roll of anti-slip tape. It was a 5 meter long roll, about an inch wide, and cost me aproximately $6.

I didn't bother disassembling the whole pedal, I just unscrewed the 6 small screws and took off the metal plate, no problem at all.
I then applied the tape, one strip at a time, from the inside and toward the outside. For each line added I took a scalpel and cut off the parts covering the holes for the rubber from the back side of the plate. When everything had been covered I put the rubber in again, placed it back on the pedal and addded the screws back in.
Rinse and repeat for the other plate.

Took me a little over half an hour, but I really liked the result, and the tape has held like it's life depends on it, through the two months since I applied it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q8s6fobji5shu3/20161022_220458.jpg?dl=0

@Gormash, I wish I'd have done mine that way. It seems so much easier than tracing the outline and slots and cutting them out before applying the tape. 

I, too, got my grip tape at a home improvement store. It was designed to be put on the treads of stairs for a non-slip surface, and was wide enough to cover the entire pedal. It was quite a bit cheaper than skateboard tape, and I have enough left over for another application. It is very durable and hasn't worn out after months of use. Here's a link to the stuff on Amazon: https://goo.gl/qZ5CDQ 

Archived