Very cold weather operations.

The Wizard

5 hours ago, null said:

What was your approach for the S18 finally?

On super cold days my lazy hack is to put a plastic bag over the S-18 to keep the wind from getting to the internals. It has to be clear plastic so the lights can shine through. 

That said, the S-18 is my backup for this winter; my main wheel will be a V11 that hasn't been quite so badly abused over the years.

This is my seventh year of daily winter commuting on electric unicycles. I can't believe it's been that long.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

On super cold days my lazy hack is to put a plastic bag over the S-18 to keep the wind from getting to the internals. It has to be clear plastic so the lights can shine through.

Thanks, yes that should reduce the wind / thermal exchange already, good to have as quick fix.

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that 1 advantage of a cold house - every cloud hey ? :)

:D

Edited by null

2 hours ago, null said:

Absolutely, lucky the 18XL is probably the best "weather resistant" wheel ever :) Even the inside is made so that water ingress both stay away from the batteries and drip out from the bottom. (If you worry about the snow stuck in the wheel well you could maybe make a sort of "brush" that could be fastened to the tire and rolled up and through the well.)

I normally do "free spin" and some hard "dunks" on ground. To get some snow out. Rest melts away..

Still i hate the idea of having euc wet.. My dads ks16s are a lot worse. As his wheel well gets more packed with snow. :D Somehow it's wheel well design is "oval" and snow loves to stick very hard in there. Mine - most snow gets unstuck and by simply spinning tire it drops out after a little while.

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I will say this about Winter riding - things are orders of magnitude more pleasant if you remember to put your gloves and lycra balaclava / helmet liner on a radiator first, and on REALLY cold days I am not above getting a hairdryer down the legs of my riding pantaloons to get those all toasty as well ! If you start off extra warm, I find it's easier to hold on to that heat for the whole ride...

Also, big fan of those dual layer coats you can get - inner fleecy warm liner fits under body protector, and weatherproof lighter layer works well over the top...

Pff... It's pretty warm simply from trying to ride true snow "slushy". I would prefer ride on solid ice better, than that dam "slushy".. Wheel wanna go right/left all the time. The dam studs do jack shet in that condition. (Temps right now are -5-7C.)

Can't say much about helmet/protection and staying warm. As i use simple winter hat. And big puffy jacket. If it gets really cold i wear 2 layers of pants. And big puffy gloves. (More or less the same thing as i would go out walking.) Can't really ride that fast in this type of condition anyways... :(

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Also, big fan of those dual layer coats you can get - inner fleecy warm liner fits under body protector, and weatherproof lighter layer works well over the top...

I've been wearing my snowboarding jacket (w/ extra liner) over the rest of my gear, with an UnderArmor thermal shirt layered underneath; it's been cold-as-shit lately, but that's been keeping me warm "enough" at about ~30 mph or so... (seems like anything over that at these temps and I start getting Safety Margin alerts from EUCW pretty much continuously).

One other thing I've noticed is that even with normalized tire pressure, the suspension/handling seem to be way different than when the temp is warmer...

Edited by Cyberwolf

47 minutes ago, Cyberwolf said:

One other thing I've noticed is that even with normalized tire pressure, the suspension/handling seem to be way different than when the temp is warmer...

Yes ! I HAVE noticed that, but assumed it was me going mad. My Master is much more tippy and knife-edgy in the cold, despite very low PSI.

• Like 1