Very cold weather operations.

The Wizard

My understanding is that the colder it gets outside, the quicker your battery cools down, further limiting your charge and thus total miles available.

At 10 to 20 degrees the battery losing charge very quickly.

Doesn't a large battery get hot and sometimes very hot during use/load?

Wouldn't this process Fully counter the cooling effect even in the coldest of temperatures? Even to the point of it not being a factor at all?

• Upvote 1

The battery and motor have to be under some stress in order for it to generate a lot of heat. Normal riding of just cruising along generates hardly any heat even on the hottest day (but going uphill fast does).

My experience is that once the battery is ambient temperature of around 25 degrees or less, then that's it; pack it up and go home.

• Upvote 1

Ok. Thank you. Just to be clear...

I know the Motor does not get hot at all. And neighter was I thinking it's heat helps the battery stay warmer.

But JUST the battery loading internally alone does not get warm enough to fight off the external wind chill effect? Directly inside the battery, not the outside componates or shell.

Most large batteries get dam hot?

Going towards freezing (0°C), it will damage the batteries if they get recharged (which happens during riding on every little braking), so that's when you shouldn't ride (and the Ninebot One Z, for example, switches off for this reason if the battery gets too cold - 5°C I think).

With regular riding at around freezing temps, the battery cools off but stays warm enough to work until it's empty anyways. But you notice the reduced range, up to 20%, from the cooling off. The power draw isn't enough to keep the temp high enough, regular riding just isn't that taxing. It may be different going up hills all the time.

If you stop and let the wheel cool out then, it may be too cold to continue riding.

I don't think the batteries get too hot in general. They're not very big after all, 2 or 3 layers of cells with air between them and wrapped in a foil, not exactly a heat sink. It's not like a massive car battery or something like this.

Ok. That's good. I think that'll do it.

The cut out possibilities of riding when an euc is cold are alittle scary but who's gonna do that.

Still can't ride mine. Probably never again. But I am pondering building a custom seat for my now very very lonely dearly beloved nb1 c+.

Torn posterior Sacreillic Joint Ligament.

Be safe and be careful out there. 🙃