Ninebot One E+ Cut Offs + new wheel

Bessa

Hi,

First time posting, but I am a long time reader and have got a lot of the advice from this forum, so thank you all for that.

So, I have a Ninebot One E+, now with about 1000 miles (1600km). I commute on it, I use it if for short errands, I know it well and I know it's limitations, specially as I weigh ~ 80kg. 

There wheel has been rock solid, and a absolute delight to ride. Until lately. A few weeks ago I tried to get home with a battery already bellow 20%. I almost never try to push when I get the warnings of bellow 20% battery, I do not like the inevitable push-backs for the new speed limit of 12km/h. I always I tried to be very conservative regarding safety with the wheel, specially because I wear no protection at all, and I do ride in public spaces and on the road, with traffic, when and if necessary. 

That time I got a cut-off, got a little hurt, you know, hands and knees, some bleeding involved, nothing major. It did indicate still 6km left, but the wheel would not turn back on after the cut-out. So I considered this to be my fault, the battery was low and I did push it, riding the new limit of 12 km/h for a bit, as I was really close to home at that point.

I tried to forget the incident, but now it has happened again, this time on the road (a very quiet road, thankfully), when the wheel was still showing almost 20% and this time with little previous warning of low batteries. And the wheel did turn back on afterwards (see image). Still no major damage to me nor to the wheel, but for some reason I don't feel like riding it now : )

The thing is, I was under the impression that cut-off would not occur in this situation: if I was riding slowly and carefully, with a low battery, I would expect the wheel to just slow me down and eventually prevent me from going further, by tilting back, slowing down, and eventually refusing to continue. But this never happened. Just a couple of speed tilt-backs, very few "bips", then silence, and then a sudden cut-off. 

I guess my question is, are these two events normal and to be expected? Can they be related to the age and use of the battery? It is now over a year old and has those 1000 miles I mentioned. 

Your thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_E9519[1].JPG

Well, anybody that had the good old "Airwheel cutoff sensei" treatment knows what this is.

Asking too much from a low power wheel.

Bad, cold, old or half discharged batteries make the problem worse.

So does rider weight.

It can happen even on higher powered machine on a cold day with a heavy rider.

A slightly sudden acceleration, or disturbance will cause a faceplant because of a current surge that causes a voltage drop that in turns causes a shutdown from the monitoring circuitry.

ALL wheels have inherently (so far) the same limitations.

The limits just change with the battery ratings, the motor ratings, battery condition and temperature.

For the technically inclined the MOST important factor is battery internal impedance.

Even a Gotway 22 Monster with high impedance batteries will cause a shutdown and faceplant.

My GF rides a 130W (shitty) wheel and never face planted.

The batteries are in top shape (BTW there is a way to know this without dismantling the pack.)

Sllllllooooowww acceleration and 128lbs helps.

I ride it too, At 180lbs, I breathe hard and I face plant...

I will never ride a wheel with questionnable batteries without a LOT of protection.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:14 AM, Bessa said:

Hi,

First time posting, but I am a long time reader and have got a lot of the advice from this forum, so thank you all for that.

So, I have a Ninebot One E+, now with about 1000 miles (1600km). I commute on it, I use it if for short errands, I know it well and I know it's limitations, specially as I weigh ~ 80kg. 

There wheel has been rock solid, and a absolute delight to ride. Until lately. A few weeks ago I tried to get home with a battery already bellow 20%. I almost never try to push when I get the warnings of bellow 20% battery, I do not like the inevitable push-backs for the new speed limit of 12km/h. I always I tried to be very conservative regarding safety with the wheel, specially because I wear no protection at all, and I do ride in public spaces and on the road, with traffic, when and if necessary. 

That time I got a cut-off, got a little hurt, you know, hands and knees, some bleeding involved, nothing major. It did indicate still 6km left, but the wheel would not turn back on after the cut-out. So I considered this to be my fault, the battery was low and I did push it, riding the new limit of 12 km/h for a bit, as I was really close to home at that point.

I tried to forget the incident, but now it has happened again, this time on the road (a very quiet road, thankfully), when the wheel was still showing almost 20% and this time with little previous warning of low batteries. And the wheel did turn back on afterwards (see image). Still no major damage to me nor to the wheel, but for some reason I don't feel like riding it now : )

The thing is, I was under the impression that cut-off would not occur in this situation: if I was riding slowly and carefully, with a low battery, I would expect the wheel to just slow me down and eventually prevent me from going further, by tilting back, slowing down, and eventually refusing to continue. But this never happened. Just a couple of speed tilt-backs, very few "bips", then silence, and then a sudden cut-off. 

I guess my question is, are these two events normal and to be expected? Can they be related to the age and use of the battery? It is now over a year old and has those 1000 miles I mentioned. 

Your thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks.

On long trail rides I typically carry 20-25 lbs of (4-5) spare batteries and water in my backpack, for a combined weight of >85kg. Never a cut-out. My original battery is more than 2.5 years old; my first 2 spares are about 2 years old; and my newer ones less than a few months. Of course, I swap my batteries at 20% when I hit tiltback on long rides. I have ridden low battery titlback down to 5% or less a few times on the older batteries. Never a cut-out then either.

The only concern I can think of is whether the battery (or less likely, the board) temps were very high. Since you are in Portugal, it's worth considering. This past summer I experienced some instability on a very hot day due to high temps after pushing the wheel hard for an hour until ~30% power remaining. I sensed this, stopped, swapped my battery and allowed the wheel to cool in the shade for five minutes, and completed my trip in 1-2 miles. When I arrived, I noticed a strong smell of overheated electronics in the previous pack which was still very warm. I inspected it carefully and noticed no specific hotspots, nor swelling or other signs of failure. I also checked the control board carefully and noticed nothing to be concerned about. I've been cautious with this pack since but have had no further issues, although its range is diminished by 10-15% or so, possibly due to age. I haven't yet tested the cells in the pack individually, so there could be one or more that are failing. It still charges to 95% and otherwise performs flawlessly.

My advice is not to worry too much; just try to be sensitive at the first sign of any change in response from the wheel when riding. You should also recalibrate - there are a few good videos/threads in the Ninebot section on how-to. If you are otherwise happy with the E+ and want to save money for a while, consider purchasing a spare battery pack or two (I paid $100 each for mine), The E+ is really easy to mod. See here, here and here.

I wonder if it could be time for a new battery pack.  Maybe a cell or two in the pack when at lower voltages aren’t able to provide the current needed for normal function so the wheel shuts down completely.  Usually in low power mode the wheel suddenly tilts back extremely and keeps you under 10 kph or so.  If it’s shutting off without warning that could be a sign of an aging battery pack that needs replacement.

I am Still Terrified , mine is an E+, Bought it brand new ,done all the tutorials that I found on Youtube, didn't have even 1 fall , and now can't believe what occurred !! have now only 30 kilometers , My weight 85 Kilos , it stopped twice , without a beep !!, it wasn't windy !! If it beeped , I would stopped , with 57% battery charge and with 15,6 Kms.of autonomy left.Very glad that it didn't happen to my sons !! It's unacceptable !! I broke my right shoulder and going to surgery now !! Will Ninebot return my money ?   Help Me Please !! Your's Sincere.Fernando.

Archived