Getting underway?

spinee

hey everybody. long time lurker, first time writer. i've profited greatly from all the hard work and sharing everyone has done, and after a few sessions i'm fairly comfy on the unicycle. but my problem is starting off. my current method is to put my right foot on the footrest, lean the whole assembly slightly to the left (on the theory it should counterbalance all the weight on the righthand side), then simultaneously push off with my left foot while leaning slightly forward.

i'd say i have a 60%-70% success rate, but it's never a graceful start.

i've tried to increase my odds by working on low-speed balance, again on the theory it'll help me stay upright as i lurch about trying to get that foot on the other footrest. are there any tips anyone can offer to make it less like an unintentional comedy routine and more like the inhumanly graceful starts the manufacturers always show on their promo videos? is it just a matter of time, or is there some trick that'll help accelerate the process?

Hard to say for sure, as we all get just one "chance" of being new to this, but I think it's just a matter of time, some people learn faster and some slower. Probably has a lot to do with earlier activity requiring fairly precise balance, it took me about an half an hour to learn to get going and a couple of days to get at least somewhat good at it, whereas a friend of mine who does slacklining got going in about less than ten minutes and then succeeded pretty much every time. Some people here have been at it for weeks. I don't think there are any short cuts, but you could try something like a balance board or even cycling. I think in my case cycling could have helped, as I used to cycle a lot (but of course now have just ridden the wheel :D), and could for example stop at traffic lights, lift my butt up from the saddle and just balance there without putting my foot on the ground for a good while waiting for the light to turn.

It's definitely about the practice if you're not blessed with perfect balance. Your technique with leaning the wheel sounds good, it's just a matter of getting comfortable with it. A lot of situations that used to bother me even a month after I was riding are now no problem six months later. 

Forget riding the euc for a few sessions and just concentrate on scooting it one legged. Once you can go 10 -> 15yrds/metres between putting your loose foot down you will have the basics of a smooth start.

i was hoping my bike time would serve me well (and maybe it cut the period between "this will kill me" and "hey, this is less than terrifying"). i'm relatively comfy on a bike (150-200km/wk) & can trackstand for 30-40 secs without much problem, but trying to keep that EUC vertical at low speeds is still a challenge.

i think i've been avoiding the one-legged thing because i suck at it so amazingly well. but forcing myself to get used to it may be what makes the diff between always fearing the startup and being comfortable with it. it's funny, because the manufacturers seem to think that's the way to start out from day one, but if i'd done that i think i'd still be trying to get moving.

i spent day 1 just getting used to the way it reacted to my weight shifting, day two getting comfy with rolling & something resembling controlled turns, day 3 just riding around and enjoying the wind in my hair, and only on day 4 did i start trying low-speed balance & starts. and it's extended to day 5, 6, 7, 8...

thanks for the suggestions all, and i'll just keep at it until (1) it feels natural and (2) the bruises start to fade.

you got the first few tips right so far, thats some nice constant progress you described. :) in addition to @Gimlets great advice, I rode figure-8 with a stop and dismount each round. Trained my turning, stopping and mounting at the same time. And its totally a thing of training to mount and dismount gracefully without desperately flailing your arms for balance. :lol:

How long did it take you to trackstand on the bike for that long? I guess more than a day to get it right every time and without really concentrating on it. Balancing the wheel also will take some time to build that muscle memory to do it autonomously. So no worries, it'll get there eventually. ;)

Hi All! I'm new to the forum and new to EUCs. I received my TG-T3 on Wednesday of this week. I've been practicing everyday and watching every training video I can find. So far I can wobble unsteadily across the garage floor. I feel like I'm learning to ice skate, hugging the rink wall, all over again. 

I've been practicing everyday and watching every training video I can find. So far I can wobble unsteadily across the garage floor. I feel like I'm learning to ice skate, hugging the rink wall, all over again. 

Hi, welcome.
Yep, that sounds like the norm, nothing wrong there.

I wouldn't overdo it at any one time, have a few reasonable rests - you'd be surprised when you next go on, how you've improved despite thinking you'd never get it the last time you rode!
Once you have a feel for it, venture out of the garage into a larger area and concentrate on looking forward (not down) & leaning forward (not too far) as without a purposeful lean, you will struggle to keep balancing upright - when you are able to go forward, the balancing pretty much takes care of itself, just like riding a 2 wheeled bicycle.

Hi, welcome.Yep, that sounds like the norm, nothing wrong there.

I wouldn't overdo it at any one time, have a few reasonable rests - you'd be surprised when you next go on, how you've improved despite thinking you'd never get it the last time you rode!
Once you have a feel for it, venture out of the garage into a larger area and concentrate on looking forward (not down) & leaning forward (not too far) as without a purposeful lean, you will struggle to keep balancing upright - when you are able to go forward, the balancing pretty much takes care of itself, just like riding a 2 wheeled bicycle.

Thank you! That's what it feels like, if I could get a little more speed it would be easier to balance. 

Hi All! I'm new to the forum and new to EUCs. I received my TG-T3 on Wednesday of this week. I've been practicing everyday and watching every training video I can find. So far I can wobble unsteadily across the garage floor. I feel like I'm learning to ice skate, hugging the rink wall, all over again. 

I can clearly remember those first two days.  What a pain in the butt. (Literally) I pretty sure 90% of the people here went through exactly the same learning process you are, and I have still not heard of anyone not getting it. Stick with it. But keep the garage open because soon there is going to be a time it just clicks and your going to cruise right out of that garage. 

Forget riding the euc for a few sessions and just concentrate on scooting it one legged. Once you can go 10 -> 15yrds/metres between putting your loose foot down you will have the basics of a smooth start.

i think that's going to be the trick that does it for me! (that and just spending time on it.) i just spent a 20-minute session trying exactly that, and i went from  not being able to even stand up to going 5-10 feet (let's forget meters for now) before i lost it. my problem is direction more than anything: i try to keep the wheel leaning to the "unmounted" side, but it always comes back on me after a few feet and begins an uncontrolled lean toward the leg that's on the footpeg.

but after that 20 minutes, i did a few starts and it was considerably less wobbly. i think i'll keep at the one-legged thing, boring as it is.

i couldn't resist, though: this past sunday i took a 5+ mile trip through the local neighborhoods (even did a little grocery shopping on the way home). the humiliation of trying unsuccessfully to remount is somewhat lessened when everyone else is at home sleeping off their saturday night!

My 'Dragonmen' Hotwheel EUC has a 14 inch wheel - tyre says 10 to 65 psi - I'm 80 kg [176 lbs] what pressure should I use - I have pumped to 40 psi!!

Also, I have always mounted the wheel with the start switch to the front - is there a reason to use it equally in  both directions?

3rd day today - full length of street 250 m / yds - less arm flaying but still using wall etc for start.

This is a great forum - thanks for everyone's help.

Unless you have the pedals set at a slight angle for comfort, as some do you can ride it both ways but there's no reason to. In fact from my knowledge of engineering the only wearing part is the wheel bearings and it's known that there is a small advantage in bearings running continually in the same direction, but it is so small that you shouldn't worry about it.

I ride with start switch to the front as that is the right way for the tyre tread.  Figure it's a good habit as it means I don't have to think about which way round is best if riding in wet conditions, so I'm less likely to get it wrong. 

Tread patterns only make a difference on rough, loose or soft surfaces where they can actually grip in and get the benefit of "cogging".

On smooth tarmac you are better off with a slick tyre as it gives you more surface contact area. Aquaplaning is the only thing that tread prevents on smooth tarmac and with the high loading and small surface area there is no danger of aquaplaning unless you can reach speeds approaching 100kph.

I think I get the idea with the tread ie very relevant in wet conditions which at this stage I am unlikely to ride in.

What about the tyre pressure - with bikes a really high pressure ~ 90 psi + its much less friction and hence a lot easier.  Is there a need for more 'grip' with EUCs and lower pressures?

As I said I have pumped up to 40 psi - when riding there is a significant squelching if I twist [I am still learning!!].

I'm thinking of increasing tyre pressure to reduce power demand - bad idea for control reasons?

Tread patterns only make a difference on rough, loose or soft surfaces where they can actually grip in and get the benefit of "cogging".

On smooth tarmac you are better off with a slick tyre as it gives you more surface contact area. Aquaplaning is the only thing that tread prevents on smooth tarmac and with the high loading and small surface area there is no danger of aquaplaning unless you can reach speeds approaching 100kph.

Fair point, aquaplaning doesn't seem too likely.  Just need to find somewhere that sells slick 14'' tyres when the time comes to replace them.  I take it you ride slicks?

On my Q3 there is definitely one way it wants to roll...it is supposed to auto selfbalance when started, and I can't seem to be able to recalibrate the balance. But as I have mentioned it in the past, with start button on the left it wants to move (you really notice it on smooth flat surfaces indoors), on the right side there is more fight, more tilt going on (I have been riding it this way, maybe by mistake)...

Fair point, aquaplaning doesn't seem too likely.  Just need to find somewhere that sells slick 14'' tyres when the time comes to replace them.  I take it you ride slicks?

I haven't been able to find any slicks in the right size yet but if I leave it long enough the tyres will become slicks naturally. :)

minor update: success! of a sort! i think the advice to try riding one-footed was the thing that did it for me (along with just spending more time concentrating on mounting/starting/stopping/dismounting). while i still can't go for more than 10 feet or so with one foot, that seems to be more than enough to get underway with minimal flailing.

i (briefly) tried the method the speedyfeetuk guy recommends, but that ends badly a large percentage of the time. i suspect he's one of those maddening people with a naturally-advanced sense of balance sent down to make the rest of us look like fools. curse you, powers-that-be! why was i born a gangly-armed oaf instead of a poised unicyclist with naturally-flowy hair?

i reserve my "outdoor" rides for sunday mornings when i can get in less trouble. i said a good morning to the night desk clerk in my building, and stepped outside just as the day clerk arrived. she wanted to see me get started, which immediately ratcheted up the stress levels. but i think i got away semi-gracefully, because when i got back an hour later she (the day clerk) told me that the night clerk had watched me scoot out of sight as i left & immediately declared she was going to buy three (along with pads & helmets) for her nephews!

Archived