Major Battery Problem w/ King Song 16s

FrankFilmer

Today my beloved KS16S died on me in a very strange way.

It's not actually dead...it still powers on and balances, but I'm afraid to plug the battery back in due to what has recently transpired.

Last night I took my freshly charged wheel on a short pizza run. (less than 2 miles) only to find the 100% charge had now dropped to 74% when I returned.

I've been getting noticeably less distance out of my wheel as of late but nothing like this, so I decided to send Jason at ewheels a message letting him know my situation and ask for help.

At that time I decided to plug it back in to charge it back up slowly. About 15 min later I went to check on it and found the charger acting as if it was fully charged.

I then powered up the wheel to check the battery level and it was still reading in the mid 70 range. (here is where it gets really strange)

Next, leaving the wheel on, I stepped out of the room for a few minutes and when I returned my friend told me that my wheel had started making some very loud snap, crackle, and popping sounds along with the green lights coming on briefly and then it went quiet again. (all totaling  about 6-8 seconds)

I hadn't seen the green lights come on at all since my last firmware update weeks ago

Strangely there was no smoke or burning smell at all.

I have just finished opening it up expecting to find a visually damaged battery pack but instead it looks normal at first inspection.

I should also include that I bought this wheel from the original owner back in April and the 5v speed charger I purchased from ewheels never shut off properly at set percentage limits. The 90% setting would shutoff at mid/upper 70's.

It would also only give me about 20 miles on a full charge but at 220lbs I thought I was getting good mileage.

I'm at a total loss here and could really use some advice.

47 minutes ago, FrankFilmer said:

Next, leaving the wheel on, I stepped out of the room for a few minutes and when I returned my friend told me that my wheel had started making some very loud snap, crackle, and popping sounds along with the green lights coming on briefly and then it went quiet again. (all totaling  about 6-8 seconds)

:shock2: Sounds like some battery cells bursting but not quite catching fire. Or the capacitors on the board exploded (the big cylindrical things on it).

I'd quickly  put the wheel somewhere (outside) where no damage can occur should it suddenly catch on fire, if it really was some battery cells failing. Just to be sure. After all you had irregular battery behavior. And check how the board looks.

I can't think of anything else in a EUC that could even make such sounds. Battery cells or capacitors.

repairing-switching-power-supply-3.jpg

The capacitors seem to look fine to me along with the battery packs.

No burnt smell at all either.

At this point I'm feeling like putting it all back together outside and experimenting with it with a hose at my side just in case.

I really wish i would have heard the noises myself. 

1538099234514445061737.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Do you think someone accidentally connected to the audio bluetooth by accident?  Maybe a neighbour?

I was in a large apt building when it occurred so at this point that could be a coincidental  possibility.

I do understand this all makes less than no sense :-)

One thing I do know for sure is that my battery has been having major issues in recent months and has become ridiculously weak.

14 hours ago, FrankFilmer said:

I was in a large apt building when it occurred so at this point that could be a coincidental  possibility.

I do understand this all makes less than no sense :-)

One thing I do know for sure is that my battery has been having major issues in recent months and has become ridiculously weak.

I have seen random people (perhaps even intentionally) connect their bluetooth audio to a hoverboard. It was pretty startling to the rider. In an apartment building, this could be a possibility.

Please pay attention on further experiments..

The best wpuld be to give it in some hands with a lot of knowledge...was your seller ewheels?

All you have decribed sounds like one of the parallel packs got of the system, anf the BMS trying to protect all other by stopping charge.

My tip would be have it examined, repaired at ewheels.

I got the wheel all put back together (with the battery's disconnected), boxed up, and on it's way to Jason at ewheels.

He has been incredibly helpful so far and he is also thinking that it is a battery pack going bad and should be a relatively simple repair...fingers crossed:blink:

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'll be sure to keep you updated.

4 hours ago, FrankFilmer said:

I got the wheel all put back together (with the battery's disconnected), boxed up, and on it's way to Jason at ewheels.

He has been incredibly helpful so far and he is also thinking that it is a battery pack going bad and should be a relatively simple repair...fingers crossed:blink:

Thanks too everyone for the great advice. I'll be sure to keep you updated.

hmmm. if a battery issue is suspected, and someone heard sparks, shipping it seems more than a little risky.  crossing fingers.

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

hmmm. if a battery issue is suspected, and someone heard sparks, shipping it seems more than a little risky.  crossing fingers.

Since the sounds occurred while the wheel was turned on, and I shipped them disconnected, we should be all good. 

(Please excuse the to, two, too mishap in my previous post...english is my 1st language) :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Great news on my wheel. I just heard back from Jason and sure enough, I had a defective battery pack.

He got it dialed in for me at a very fair price and it's now in the mail on its way back.

eWheels Rocks!

On 9/29/2018 at 7:06 PM, FreeRide said:

That's why we do not send it by air. :furious:

I am surprised on how great ewheels.com customer service is (even better than Amazon:)?)! May I ask if the wheel was originally from them and what was the total mileage when you started having the issue with the battery?

The wheel was originally purchased from eWheels but I and the second owner. When I purchased it it had about six hundred and sixty kilometers and now it's well over 2000.

I'm guessing the battery was having issues when I bought it but I won't know for sure until I get it back with proper batteries to compare.

8 hours ago, FrankFilmer said:

and now it's well over 2000.

Thank you for your info! I am riding a ks16s as well. I would expect the battery to not get weak before 1000 charges which should be over 20k miles (I only charge mine when it gets closer to 50% as my commute is short).

Archived