New Wheel Checklist - ACM Edition

csmyers

Hey guys!

It looks like I'll soon be the proud owner of an ACM2 1600Wh! :D I found a remarkable open-box deal on eBay and the seller doesn't seem reptilian, so I have high hopes. Amazingly, Jane from Gotway responded to my email and confirmed the motor code as the new Tesla motor. I was very wary of being duped and receiving someone's warehouse ACMs+, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's been over 2 years since I've received a new wheel, so I'm a little rusty on the new EUC procedure. 

I've got tire slime ready to go. I'm considering a layer of silicone for waterproofing. I've got a trolley handle on the way (what's the best way to mount it, anyway?). What else am I missing? I sense there's a whole laundry list of simple but essential mods. I've been pretty out of the loop.

Special thanks to @Marty Backe for organizing the Mt. Wilson ride, which really pushed me to take the plunge and finally get a new wheel. It made me remember how much fun it is to ride, especially with others. After a long hiatus, it's good to be back on the forum again. Cheers!

-cs

2 hours ago, csmyers said:

Hey guys!

It looks like I'll soon be the proud owner of an ACM2 1600Wh! :D I found a remarkable open-box deal on eBay and the seller doesn't seem reptilian, so I have high hopes. Amazingly, Jane from Gotway responded to my email and confirmed the motor code as the new Tesla motor. I was very wary of being duped and receiving someone's warehouse ACMs+, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's been over 2 years since I've received a new wheel, so I'm a little rusty on the new EUC procedure. 

I've got tire slime ready to go. I'm considering a layer of silicone for waterproofing. I've got a trolley handle on the way (what's the best way to mount it, anyway?). What else am I missing? I sense there's a whole laundry list of simple but essential mods. I've been pretty out of the loop.

Special thanks to @Marty Backe for organizing the Mt. Wilson ride, which really pushed me to take the plunge and finally get a new wheel. It made me remember how much fun it is to ride, especially with others. After a long hiatus, it's good to be back on the forum again. Cheers!

-cs

Congrat's again. I"m really impressed that Gotway responded, and so fast. They've never communicated with me :(

Good choice to get the trolley handle too. Most likely you'll need to pre-drill for the screws that should come with the handle. It's not obvious, but the handle can be moved up and down the top plastic molded piece that attaches to the shell. So what I would do is first attach the molded piece to the shell (it can only go one place on the wheel). Than, you can pull the main trolley up or down to locate the best place to secure the bottom bracket to the wheel. Hopefully what I just wrote will make sense once you have it in hand.

Besides the Slime and adjusting the tire pressure (I use 45-psi, but that's personal), that's all I do.

You sure lucked out and got a really sweet deal on that wheel :cheers:

That’s awesome! I’m glad you were able to upgrade so quickly, and to such a great wheel. You won’t be disappointed! Although I’m sure you already knew that, after having tried mine :)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not obvious, but the handle can be moved up and down the top plastic molded piece that attaches to the shell. So what I would do is first attach the molded piece to the shell (it can only go one place on the wheel). Than, you can pull the main trolley up or down to locate the best place to secure the bottom bracket to the wheel.

I never knew that! My handle is a bit too high so I was only able to use 3 screw holes (one of the outer ones was too far from the shell to be useful). If I ever need to open my wheel, I may remount the handle with new holes, as two of my top screws have already stripped out.

5 hours ago, csmyers said:

What else am I missing? 

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Tire pump? Wrist guards (and knee guards and a helmet) and you're good.

In addition to the above may be a little mirror on your wrist guard (or on your helmet) come in handy, if you don’t already have one. I have mine on my wrist guards, because I sometimes ride without a helmet but rarely without a mirror or wrist guards. It also somehow conditions you to keep your hands up closer to your face, which is always good in case of wipeouts or other accidents.

3 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

In addition to the above may be a little mirror on your wrist guard (or on your helmet) come in handy, if you don’t already have one. I have mine on my wrist guards, because I sometimes ride without a helmet but rarely without a mirror or wrist guards.

Would you mind posting a wrist guard mirror photo?

4 minutes ago, jas3 said:

Would you mind posting a wrist guard mirror photo?

Sure! Here is my set-up! Easy to use, fast to put on and off. The red gloves ? substitute for turn lights, when riding in traffic.

There is also a little bicycle bell that I find handy and unthreatening with pedestrians.

image.thumb.jpg.ea9dfbcff93f842c4bf911cd814e6b4b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.915ef2090e1d219eb99b8cc2970bbebd.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.752e271eab33f15147e65647f0b87b50.jpeg

1 minute ago, Marcglider said:

20180818_171620.thumb.jpg.e7212051ceef2ccf20b27baf1a618637.jpg

I first wanted these, but after talking to some professional skateboarders I settled for the simple version above. These guys told me to fix them tight enough so the wrist can not snap but not too tightly, as otherwise the whole impact of a fall gets transferred to the joints above (elbows, shoulders). That’s why they didn’t recommend the long version. It’s too rigid, so your upper body joints might suffer. 

But on second thought, if you fall and slide on the flat hands, forearms, elbow triangle in front of your right ear (nose and face turned to the left while falling, legs stretching) as I trained myself to do, these might be even better for sliding. I’ will give it a thought. 

5 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

In addition to the above may be a little mirror on your wrist guard (or on your helmet) come in handy, if you don’t already have one. I have mine on my wrist guards, because I sometimes ride without a helmet but rarely without a mirror or wrist guards. It also somehow conditions you to keep your hands up closer to your face, which is always good in case of wipeouts or other accidents.

He's actually been riding for 4 plus years, so he's really just looking for new wheel advice.

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Good choice to get the trolley handle too. Most likely you'll need to pre-drill for the screws that should come with the handle. It's not obvious, but the handle can be moved up and down the top plastic molded piece that attaches to the shell. So what I would do is first attach the molded piece to the shell (it can only go one place on the wheel). Than, you can pull the main trolley up or down to locate the best place to secure the bottom bracket to the wheel. Hopefully what I just wrote will make sense once you have it in hand.

You sure lucked out and got a really sweet deal on that wheel :cheers:

This is gold, thank you. I'm still worried about destroying the casing and stripping the screws, but this is a great tip. I know you said you put 6oz of slime into the Z10, how much would you put into a normal 16x2.125 inch tire?

13 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I first wanted these, but after talking to some professional skateboarders I settled for the simple version above. These guys told me to fix them tight enough so the wrist can not snap but not too tightly, as otherwise the whole impact of a fall gets transferred to the joints above (elbows, shoulders). That’s why they didn’t recommend the long version. It’s too rigid, so your upper body joints might suffer. 

But on second thought, if you fall and slide on the flat hands, forearms, elbow triangle in front of your right ear (nose and face turned to the left while falling, legs stretching) as I trained myself to do, these might be even better for sliding. I’ will give it a thought. 

This is great actually, with a slower wheel I've actually been getting away without proper protection. I'll be grabbing my G-form elbow guards from my downhill longboarding days, and I'm looking for some proper wrist protection. I'm very good at falling safely but a couple years ago I definitely banged up my wrist enough to hurt for a few months :unsure:

15 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

That’s awesome! I’m glad you were able to upgrade so quickly, and to such a great wheel. You won’t be disappointed! Although I’m sure you already knew that, after having tried mine :)

I never knew that! My handle is a bit too high so I was only able to use 3 screw holes (one of the outer ones was too far from the shell to be useful). If I ever need to open my wheel, I may remount the handle with new holes, as two of my top screws have already stripped out.

Thanks Nick! My only reservation about the new wheel so far is that it doesn't come in your slick-looking blue. Definitely a little bit envious, but I'd love one in the classic Gotway red. :wub:

Have the screws stripped out in normal use? I might just buy some proper nuts and bolts.

4 hours ago, csmyers said:

Thanks Nick! My only reservation about the new wheel so far is that it doesn't come in your slick-looking blue. Definitely a little bit envious, but I'd love one in the classic Gotway red. :wub:

Have the screws stripped out in normal use? I might just buy some proper nuts and bolts.

I’ve seen people vinyl wrap their wheels, I’m not sure how hard that would be on an ACM but it is a thing. (And I do agree, Gotway red is awesome! Ewheels only offers blue, though the color is starting to grow on me). 

My screws stripped out during a fall while offroading, and it was only the bottom two screws on the top plastic part. The wheel got stuck in a hole that was covered by debris and I lost control, the wheel landed partially on the handle. Though it didn’t come off, so I guess that shows you should still be ok even if you go through a minor crash. Normal sliding-up-and-down use won’t cause any issues at all. 

Also, I’m not sure if anyone else has this issue, but over time my handle got harder and harder to use, I think dust and dirt were accumulating inside. To fix it I put WD40 in the different sections of the handle columns and worked the handle up and down a lot (with paper towels underneath the handle to catch any dripping WD40) and it was like new again. 

Regarding stripped screws, this has happened to one of my ACMs. I think it's only a problem on the lower bracket.

Very carefully, I cut a 10-32 machine screw to size and used a needle-nose pliers to feed it through the enlarged/stripped hole and bracket. Here's a picture. It's obviously very secure now.

IMG_20180904_132855117

23 minutes ago, csmyers said:

how many oz of slime would you recommend?

This is what I learned from Marty:

2oz  for 12in

3oz for 16”

4 oz for 18”

8 oz for 22”

now with wider tires coming out,  there may be some exceptions.

MSX- 6 oz

Z10 - 8oz (tubeless slime)

Mten3 - (not sure...maybe 2-3oz of tubeless slime because of the wide tire)

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

This is what I learned from Marty:

2oz  for 12in

3oz for 16”

4 oz for 18”

8 oz for 22”

now with wider tires coming out,  there may be some exceptions.

MSX- 6 oz

Z10 - 8oz (tubeless slime)

Mten3 - (not sure...maybe 2-3oz of tubeless slime because of the wide tire)

Amazing, this should be pinned somewhere. Much appreciated!!

Archived