Shaking, vibrating and making horrible noises

F.J. Abaya

I received a new control board from ewheels and I installed it and this happened. Anybody know what’s going on?

Any help please.

A3B9981E-57FB-4EA9-A9AD-1C94C7E21DBD.jpeg

7 minutes ago, F.J. Abaya said:

I received a new control board from ewheels and I installed it and this happened. Anybody know what’s going on?

Not really :(

The wheel is more or less balancing or does it only stay upright because you are holding it?

Is the motherboard tightly fixed to the shell? No movement possible?

Parts of the ?bullet? connectors (motor wire connectors) show blank metal?! They should be well insulated so no short circuits are possible.

Two items, based on the pictures that you posted:

1. Please cover the three power cables better. Maybe more heat-shrink tubing. If the metal connectors touch - you get to buy another control board. This has nothing to do with your problem but it's worth addressing.
  2. Your control board is not attached to the shell. I will bet @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's $5 that this is the problem. The gyro on the control board is amazingly sensitive and your control board is somewhat floating within the wheel. There should be one screw in each corner of the control board that tightens the board to the shell. Please add those missing screws and then start enjoying your wheel again.

@F.J. Abaya - this is also not related to the shaking and i don't really know how the motherboard (especially the heatsink) is mounted to the shell, but if this heatsink is to be screwed to some metal part at the shell one should put some thin layer of heat paste/thermal compount were the metal heatsink parts touch!

Have just seen your other post 

These connections worked out fine soldering? (?Very?) theoretically if this wire to connector soldering was done not sufficient a high contact resistance between wires and connector could also lead to problems. Main problem could be that they desolder themself once they are under high load, but if they have very bad contact (cold soldering joint) this could eventually also lead to balancing probs?

Although a not tightened motherboard has imo still the number one probability.

51 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I’ll place $5 on worn axle shims.  Does the tremor reduce if you are on the pedals any?  Either that or control board is not tightened up enough oooor maybe crack where shell is mounted to pedals.

How do I replace the axle shims? What do they look like?

Did you secure the control board's other screws to check that out first?  I'd start with the simpler things and maybe give us some more background information to work from.  Why are you replacing the control board in the first place?  Did this tremor problem start only after the control board was replaced?  Com'on, give diagnostics dog a bone!  :w00t2:  I mean, I like the whole Sherlock Holmes solves the mystery, but even he tended to have a modicum of clues to work from.

The axle shims are located around the axle in a slot within the pedal supports.  The axle nut tightens them down.  They come in two pieces on each side.

46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Two items, based on the pictures that you posted:

1. Please cover the three power cables better. Maybe more heat-shrink tubing. If the metal connectors touch - you get to buy another control board. This has nothing to do with your problem but it's worth addressing.
  2. Your control board is not attached to the shell. I will bet @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's $5 that this is the problem. The gyro on the control board is amazingly sensitive and your control board is somewhat floating within the wheel. There should be one screw in each corner of the control board that tightens the board to the shell. Please add those missing screws and then start enjoying your wheel again.

Thank you for your advise, recently I have had the same problem with my V8 - it works now! (-: (tightening the board to the shell)

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Did you secure the control board's other screws to check that out first?  I'd start with the simpler things and maybe give us some more background information to work from.  Why are you replacing the control board in the first place?  Did this tremor problem start only after the control board was replaced?  Com'on, give diagnostics for a bone!  :w00t2:  I mean, I like the whole Sherlock Holmes solves the mystery, but even he tended to have a modicum of clues to work from.

It started with blown mosfets:

Then the connectors of the motor wires were replaced and the new motherboard installed.

Seems that he never touched (hopefully ?) the axle shims and since they were ok they slould be still alright and its just some missed screws.

So it's just the motherboard mounting to be corrected, connectors insulation to be made, double checking of the connectors soldering (danger of cutoff by self desoldering) and then hopefully @F.J. Abaya can have fun riding again!

Ps.: And maybe some thermal paste for perfect cooling of the heatsink, if this is applicable...

20 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Oh remember seeing that thread.  I wonder how hitting a curb at low speed could destroy the fuses... er MOSFETs like that.

Imo depending on the curb, how one is "attacking" it and tries to balance (puts weight on the wheel) it could have an effect like pushing the wheel against a wall.

This should not blow the mosfets either, but unfortionately it does... :(

@F.J. Abaya, please be sure to let everyone know how this is resolved. It helps the community at large to understand the possible problems that can occur and how to fix them.

Marty said everything. If these gold connectors touch each other, they short and (at a minimum) fry the board (of course, during riding, that means a cut-out). And if the board (where the gyro sensor is) isn't attached to the shell, what do you expect?

Thee are other vague possibilities (hall sensor failure, board failure, switched cables, whatever) but pretty sure once you screw the board down that will be it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will do my best to fix the connection and connector as soon as I’m feeling better. I woke up this morning having the flu. I will let you guys know as soon as I can. 

IT WORKS!! I took everybody’s advice and  I re installed the board with the other screws and secure the rubber trip and IT WORKS! (Happy dance). 

When I tucked the wires in, it would cut out and there are multiple beeps. I had to disconnect the battery cable to reset. For now I simply did not tuck the wires in. Is that okay?

Even though I have the flu, I wanted my EUC to work so I went ahead and muster all the energy I had to fix my Gotway. Now it’s time for ed but at least I have a smile on my face ?

68885783-A39C-4782-8669-0C212FA6A01C.jpeg

7 minutes ago, F.J. Abaya said:

IT WORKS!! I took everybody’s advice and  I re installed the board with the other screws and secure the rubber trip and IT WORKS! (Happy dance). 

When I tucked the wires in, it would cut out and there are multiple beeps. I had to disconnect the battery cable to reset. For now I simply did not tuck the wires in. Is that okay?

Even though I have the flu, I wanted my EUC to work so I went ahead and muster all the energy I had to fix my Gotway. Now it’s time for ed but at least I have a smile on my face ?

Good news

I don't understand what you exactly mean by "tucked the wires in". Which wires? Tucked where?

Your description sounds like maybe one of the connectors on the board isn't seated properly.

Generally you should be able to wiggle any of the wires and nothing should happen. Maybe double-check all of the connections to the control board?

im Not sure if the wires need better insulation or if it’s putting some sort of stress to the other wires connected to the board. I don’t know what they are called but they have a white substance on them. They are black and red wires.

462EDE49-177E-4D3B-A894-CD9EF988B77E.jpeg

Btw, when I took off the original board, the mounts were detached from the shell. Only one out of the four were  imtact. I took a heavy duty glue to re attach them and I also secured the rubber trim around the opening. I don’t know if this helped but I figure I’d report it in to you guys ??

2A13112B-638B-4FED-B1DD-FA2CA54E4A64.jpeg

7 hours ago, F.J. Abaya said:

Btw, when I took off the original board, the mounts were detached from the shell. Only one out of the four were  imtact. I took a heavy duty glue to re attach them and I also secured the rubber trim around the opening. I don’t know if this helped but I figure I’d report it in to you guys ??

2A13112B-638B-4FED-B1DD-FA2CA54E4A64.jpeg

Wow. I don't think you said what happened to the wheel where you had to replace the control board. Was it in a crash that maybe caused those three posts to snap? I've never seen that kind of damage before.

The gasket is not supposed to be glued in, but it probably doesn't hurt to do so.

Archived