Kingsong 14D vs 14S

Meghan

Greetings!  This is my first ever post here. :)  I have searched online but have not found anyone who has done a direct comparison between the 14D and the 14S.  I am trying to decide which one to get.  This will be my first electric unicycle but I won't be purchasing a replacement for a few years, so I need it to be "the one."  I wanted the 16S originally but it is a bit to big for me to realistically lug around and rather expensive.  I am 5'7 and hoping that the 14 inch wheel will be a good fit for me.

Has anyone owned or driven both models, and can you tell me which you like best and why?  I am leaning towards the 14D because people say it is very comfortable to ride compared to the fatter 14S and the price is fantastic.  I am worried about battery life of the 14D though. I don't want it to sign out after half an hour of cruising around my neighbourhood.   How much play time do you typically get on the 14D compared to the 14S?  (I know driving conditions and weight of riders will effect this, but I am just looking for info on your personal experience so I can get a sense of how these models perform in the real world as I don't know anyone who has one.)

I have a goofy vision of riding on the 14D being similar to standing astride a dinner plate and the 14S being like a beach ball.  LOL.  Is the 14S really uncomfortable?  I will be using this on both smooth roads and bumpy off road trails.

Thanks guys!

Meghan

Hi!

(Disclaimer: I have ridden neither of them)

• For your "the one" wheel, definitely get the biggest battery you can. Unless you are 110% absolutely positively sure you will never even remotely need half the range you think the 14D has.
  • I don't think the width difference between 14D and 14S is worth considering, what is it, maybe 2cm max? You won't even notice because in usual riding, you only stand on the pedals, but don't touch the wheel's sides.

So: 14S if you ask me:efee47c9c8:

• If you told us how you expect to use the wheel, that would be helpful in deciding what wheel is best for you. Also we can upsell you better then :efee8319ab: - that you're coming from a 16S is noteworthy here. What about an Inmotion V8, for example, if you're looking for a light and narrow wheel? Might be worth considering. Etc.

4 hours ago, Meghan said:

Greetings!  This is my first ever post here. :)  I have searched online but have not found anyone who has done a direct comparison between the 14D and the 14S.  I am trying to decide which one to get.  This will be my first electric unicycle but I won't be purchasing a replacement for a few years, so I need it to be "the one."  I wanted the 16S originally but it is a bit to big for me to realistically lug around and rather expensive.  I am 5'7 and hoping that the 14 inch wheel will be a good fit for me.

Has anyone owned or driven both models, and can you tell me which you like best and why?  I am leaning towards the 14D because people say it is very comfortable to ride compared to the fatter 14S and the price is fantastic.  I am worried about battery life of the 14D though. I don't want it to sign out after half an hour of cruising around my neighbourhood.   How much play time do you typically get on the 14D compared to the 14S?  (I know driving conditions and weight of riders will effect this, but I am just looking for info on your personal experience so I can get a sense of how these models perform in the real world as I don't know anyone who has one.)

I have a goofy vision of riding on the 14D being similar to standing astride a dinner plate and the 14S being like a beach ball.  LOL.  Is the 14S really uncomfortable?  I will be using this on both smooth roads and bumpy off road trails.

Thanks guys!

Meghan

I have put a couple hundred miles on my 14d, my biggest complaint would be the small battery. I typically get about 1 hour of fun riding (up and down small hills and riding between 14 and 16 mph) before I start getting beeps. Once that starts it will just make you wish you would’ve got the 14s. Other than that it’s a great wheel. Don’t expect too much from the speakers (they suck) . Some other good options are the inmotion v8 or the v5f+. I have the v5f+ as well and get similar performance, just a little slower. At the end of the day you will want more battery. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Meghan said:

Thanks guys!

Meghan

I was contemplating the same wheels just a month ago. The 14D and 14S are both great wheels but the 14S is a bit heavier.  The handle works great and I use it to roll around quite often. I ended up with the 14S with 680wh battery as I wanted to have enough power not to run out if I wanted to ride a little longer.  I was told to buy the wheel with the biggest battery you can, but I also didn't want to spend on a larger battery if I would never need the capacity.   The harder decision for me was between the 680Wh and 840Wh ?.  

When given the choice I always pick the biggest battery I can get. I can ride up to 40-miles on my KS14S and certainly the first ~30-miles are with no restrictions.

The wheel isn't that much wider than the 14D, and the 14S is still a small wheel compared to the 16 and 18 inch wheels. I think you're overthinking the decision when comparing it to a beach ball. It's a very comfortable wheel. I ride mine almost every day.

Here are my KS14S videos to inspire you to run out and buy the 14S

I've been reading the forums obsessively for the past month trying to make the same decision for my first EUC that I hope to not quickly grow out of, only I'm between 14S, 14D, or the InMotion V10 (over the 16S).  The big appeal to me for the 14D/S is the portability and agility - wondering would the 14S easily fit in a gym locker still?

You can answer your own question. Get the dimensions of the 14D or S from your chosen dealer, then take a tape measure to your gym locker (how would anyone else know the size of your gym locker) and see if it'll fit.

Thanks for the replies everyone!  I will be puttering around on this e-wheel while I am back home during the summer.  I won't have a car so this will be used to get me around town.    I am then shipping it overseas (I know that it can't go on the plane so it will go by boat) to use for local transportation where I work.  The roads are bumpy, uneven and the area does have hills.  From what everyone has said it sounds like I should go with the 14S though.  It is 2 inches thicker than the 14D, and I was worried that the wider stance would be uncomfortable.   You guys don't seem bothered by that though, so I feel relieved.  I definitely want to be able to play around on this thing for more than an hour, so if that is all that the 14D will give me then I definitely need the bigger batteries.  <sigh>  My poor credit card!

I looked into the v8 but saw several reviews from people who had driven  both the 14S and the V8 and everyone liked the 14S more.  Hence my choice.  :)  

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

When given the choice I always pick the biggest battery I can get. I can ride up to 40-miles on my KS14S and certainly the first ~30-miles are with no restrictions.

The wheel isn't that much wider than the 14D, and the 14S is still a small wheel compared to the 16 and 18 inch wheels. I think you're overthinking the decision when comparing it to a beach ball. It's a very comfortable wheel. I ride mine almost every day.

Here are my KS14S videos to inspire you to run out and buy the 14S

Looks like so much fun!!!  Sorry that your friends wheel did not make it though. I am glad I am getting a Kingsong. :)

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hi!

(Disclaimer: I have ridden neither of them)

• For your "the one" wheel, definitely get the biggest battery you can. Unless you are 110% absolutely positively sure you will never even remotely need half the range you think the 14D has.
  • I don't think the width difference between 14D and 14S is worth considering, what is it, maybe 2cm max? You won't even notice because in usual riding, you only stand on the pedals, but don't touch the wheel's sides.

So: 14S if you ask me:efee47c9c8:

• If you told us how you expect to use the wheel, that would be helpful in deciding what wheel is best for you. Also we can upsell you better then :efee8319ab: - that you're coming from a 16S is noteworthy here. What about an Inmotion V8, for example, if you're looking for a light and narrow wheel? Might be worth considering. Etc.

The width difference between the two units is 2 inches, if I read correctly online.  Sadly I am not coming from a 16S.   I own nothing so far.   I started off simply liking the idea of getting one but quickly saw that it was going to cost WAY more than I want to spend on my first ever electric unicycle.   I am hoping that the 14 inch size will still work well for me as it is more affordable and probably a bit easier to transport and store at the gym etc. :)

2 hours ago, IhasaCavity said:

I've been reading the forums obsessively for the past month trying to make the same decision for my first EUC that I hope to not quickly grow out of, only I'm between 14S, 14D, or the InMotion V10 (over the 16S).  The big appeal to me for the 14D/S is the portability and agility - wondering would the 14S easily fit in a gym locker still?

I was wondering that too.   Thankfully the gym I go to is super relaxed.  They don't care if you bring stuff in and store it in the weight room by the wall, so I will probably do just that with my unicycle.  

Here is my thought, I received my first EUC, 14s 680 wh on 1/11/18.  Purchased from Amazon (before I knew about this forum or ewheels).  Since 680/840= 0.8095. less than 20% difference yet price difference was significant I thought, so went with 680 wh... Riding these EUC's are very addicting, I'm with other members on bigger the better when it comes to wh...  Since then I've purchased Mten3 and ACM2... As far as comfort goes for me the wider stance of ACM2 works, love the 1600 wh.  Good luck...  Love 14s...

14s is great first wheel.  Once you get bitten by EUC bug, look out... Like the potato chip you can't stop with one.:facepalm: Not like the potato chip it's actually good for your body's core.:thumbup:  lets say if you have a wheel you will find a way...  You will soon find that there is reason why so may members have multiple wheels...  Each wheel have their own personality...  Best part of owning more than one is if one goes down for whatever reason you have a backup, I know that is obvious, but it would really SUCK if you lose one and only wheel. :cheers:

Archived