Ninebot One E+

SeattleAbarth

82F68FA7-E83D-46B6-B129-3F69276F5D39_zps1 month review.

60 miles driven.

After multiple trial and errors (3-5hrs / 10 miles). Then replacing the covers and light trim pieces, as well as the side padding this last week.  I would rate this wheel  8/10. 

8/10 if you've never ridden an EUC.  Expect durability, and safety is the priority.  But can still hang with "most" of them in the up to 15mph.

Otherwise, like learning to ride a 600cc Motorcycle.  You will be wanting a little more umph.  If city transportation is your main focus,  this I think fits the bill perfectly if your commute is less than 14miles.   Anything more than 8-10mph down the sidewalk with moderate traffic is perfect, with the ability to burst to 15mph when needed to pass.

If your interest is for exploring, and adventure?  Or long distance commute (30 miles away)   I can see the need to want a 25-30mph wheel. With a 1200+ battary.

Summary:

Style   - 9/10  | 2years old, now a classic.

Handling   - 8/10 | 16" Wheel, can handle dirt paths.

Speed  - 6/10  | 500w motor, 15mph top speed

Durability  - 9/10 | IP65 rating + even alarms when overheated! Takes a good thrashing when trying to learn.  All parts replaceable.

Safety  - 10/10  | alarms for;  over lean, top speed, stops wheel when down, and over temp alarm. (Hit this today, which drove me to write this review).

Final Score  - 8/10  | The IP65 rating means you can ride this in the rain.  The  alarms for temp and over driving makes this the ideal wheel to learn on, and grow from beginner-intermediate.  It will take a beating, and parts are easy to swap out!

hope this helps somebody trying to decide which wheel to start with, and would like some style.  Even 2 years old it's a good looking wheel.  In this tech industry, that's already 20 years...

Interesting to hear your thoughts.

You seem to put great value in the waterproof rating. Was that a major buying decision?

Same question for aesthetics (seeing the photo and your replacement of some scratched parts).

Did you consider alternatives, and if yes which ones?

What ultimately made you buy a Ninebot vs one of the newer wheels?

FCEE8C3B-9702-41BC-B004-4CA8238F102A_zpsI looked at the current market.  But I know I didn't want a wheel that it's top speed was 8-10mph.  So that limited the range to IPS & inmotion, solowheel had the speed and range, as well as better price point, but aesthetics ruled it out for me. Followed by aesthetics durability was the other major factor,  I knew these were going to take a beating,  I've had mine bounce up in the air  couple times from top speed ... crashing I guess, but I've been able to stay clear... and run off (from over leaning &  over leaning at top speed).  Both times it beeped at me and the peddles throttled back.

Considered:

IPS

inmotion

The waterproof (IP65) rating is a must in my opinion.  Investing 400+ That could be ruined by water is a safety measure.  My Northwest region of USA gets a lot of rain. As well my kid would likely ride through water, if not in the rain at some point.  All wheels should have an IP65 rating as a minimum I feel. :)

I failed  to mention in the original post.  But I bought 3 Ninebot ones

2 NB1E+

1 NB1C+

one for my older kid,  and the slower 12mph top speed for the wife.  I figured she wouldn't have the interest in speed like myself & jr. plus I already planned to upgrade as soon as I was comfortable riding. So I plan to either resell the C+ or just give it to a family member. :)

The Kingsong & Gotway I consider the upper tier,  at that point might as well get a 30mph wheel.  Which it's surprising ninebot isn't revamping what they've learned from there P model, as well s the others in the last 2 years.  The E models have been solid.  But it looks like they are content with being the Huffy or Honda of the market in my opinion.  

Pic is of the otherside.  I've dubbed it my Panda Uno.  I used to have an 85' Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86). :P

37 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Did you do the battery mod to secure it?  Also there are some holes that allow dust and possibly water ingress in.  I used some electrical tape to seal those off.

No. Ok have to read on that. The entry points around the light strip is expected.  With runoff all the contacts looked secured.  Plus the light strip is waterproof. Just the contacts are an issue. But that stays under the internal housing.

THe battery/mainboars covers I think are fine,  with your body covering most of it   The run off should be ok.

moisture might be an issue..  but the board & battary can get over 100degrees in temp   That shouldn't pose a problem as well. :)

If you ever drop off a sharp curb, you might notice a thunk which likely is your battery shifting around.  They didn't tend to secure these from the factory.  Look in the Ninebot forum for mods to avoid battery wrap wear, wire wear, and water ingress.  If you remove the side pads, you will see the holes with direct access to the motor side.  Maybe they are there for air venting, but tons of dust gets in.  Depending on how deep the puddles you ride through are, water also has an entry point too.  Trusting that the board and connectors are waterproofed is great, but why take a chance?  

I covered the openings up, and my boards temp only reaches a max of 50C.

Nice review.  Wheel looks pretty cool too.

Great that you got enough machines that the family can ride, too.  In my experience being able to do outdoor activities with friends and/or family is a huge motivator and makes things a lot more fun.

On 25.6.2017 at 5:06 AM, SeattleAbarth said:

Style   - 9/10  | 2years old, now a classic.

Handling   - 8/10 | 16" Wheel, can handle dirt paths.

Speed  - 6/10  | 500w motor, 15mph top speed

Durability  - 9/10 | IP65 rating

Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code it is definitely (as already written) not IP 65 - from the main ninebot pages the IP65 classification was removed (by now no ninebot.com  E+ sites exist anymore) - just some dealers did not update their pages.

Regard dust (with the dust coming in) it should be something like IP4x-IP5x.

I can't really remember any water incident reports - so the ipx5 rating could hold, maybe it has just ipx4 in reality and that's still enough?

Takes a good thrashing when trying to learn.  All parts replaceable.

Yes - from the many long term/high milage reports seems to be one of the most robust unicycles out there.

Some reports where of the broken handle - could be the "weakest part" of the construction

Safety  - 10/10  | alarms for;  over lean, top speed, stops wheel when down, and over temp alarm. (Hit this today, which drove me to write this review).

There were not many but still some reports of overleans/cut-outs (most could not really be clarified for sure), and many were in a time ninebot threw out one firmware after another and some version were just a desaster...

Overleans are possible (as with every other wheel)  - it's "just" a 500W wheel with 2p batteries and one has to accept and know this "limit". Every other wheel has this limit too - the more power and batteries it has the higher it is (and the more dangerous if it happens...)

Other reports of cut-outs are just related to aged/worn out battery cells - most of the E+ wheels already have an age which reaches/exceeds the normal battery life-cycles...

The IP65 rating means you can ride this in the rain.

Imho that was what they changed on the main ninebot E+ page - from ip65 to "one can ride it in all weather conditions"...

... yes - and the not really fixed battery (as already mentioned). Cannot recall any reports that a battery was really destroyed by this, but the markings on the battery pack from the casing look everything else than nice - but can be easily prevented with some piece of stable "foam material", etc.

I'm Familiar with the IP ratings. Thanks for referencing the source.

Ninebot for the USA has revised there websites. So USA is now. http://www.ninebotus.com

Also fo the IP65 reference:
http://www.ninebotus.com/new-sealed-ninebot-one-c/
http://www.ninebotus.com/new-open-box-ninebot-one-e/

(Now Wether it got proper IP65 Certified Rating? I don't know) :whistling:

My case on the safety. Is that IT WILL notify you.  Sure i can imagine the "Earlier models and firmware having issues".  As well as recent thread, of people having battery issues. But my review is based on the current ones shipped. Which i updated the firmware to the latest available v1.4 :)   But in Irony, it's manufacturing date was 2015.. so  looks like Ninebot has alot of 'surplus' theyre trying to offload.

The battery security/sloshing i haven't looked into. I have a bunch of sticky bumpers for my Quadrocoptors... but temperature(burning) would be my biggest concern.. so I might drop some extra padding it.   But since i've been riding it with no crashes, it's less of a concern now.  Only tweak i've done is change the response setting from the 'default 3' to 1.  Which the GUI is poorly designed for tactile feel, it doesn't move with a finger swipe. 

To the GUI point,  the darkness bot app is more friendly IMO.  Looks like the ninebot app gets little development.  the Darkness bot even has a bluetooth pairing CLEAR option, which came in handy. I didn't raelize password locking required entering the PW EVERY time... got so annoying i just removed it.  Figured if somebody reallly wanted to hack it... i'll be the first to know.

On 6/26/2017 at 1:42 AM, Chriull said:

Overleans are possible (as with every other wheel)  - it's "just" a 500W wheel with 2p batteries and one has to accept and know this "limit". Every other wheel has this limit too - the more power and batteries it has the higher it is (and the more dangerous if it happens...)

I just overleaned mine today, doing a fast braking and trying to go backwards, it didn't have enough power for my weight and aggressive leanback and shot out forward as I fell off backwards.  Luckily I was at zero mph so didn't get hurt.  I checked the app and the battery was at 50%, the suspension sensitivity was on 6.

On 6/26/2017 at 0:20 PM, SeattleAbarth said:

Only tweak i've done is change the response setting from the 'default 3' to 1.  Which the GUI is poorly designed for tactile feel, it doesn't move with a finger swipe. 

I though it might be my phone, but if you noticed it too, I guess it's the app.  Do you still have all the response settings, 0,1,2,3 up to nine?  I am on 1.4.0 also and only have 0,3,6, and 9.  Someone suggested it might be that my phone doesn't show all the settings.

6 minutes ago, SeattleAbarth said:

@steve454

I'm on an iphone 7+.  just checked, i get 1-9 in the ninebot app.

Ah, mine is Android, I think the iphone app is better, I wonder why the apps are slightly different.  Must be that the operating systems are so different. 

Almost forgot, I followed your link to NinebotUS and they have the C+ on sale for the summer at I think it was $455 dollars, great deal for a 16 inch wheel.  And the E+ price is about $250 dollars lower than it was when I bought mine 16 months ago.

Yeah. I think Ninebot is just trying to Cash out IMO.  Great as an Entry-Mid.  But for long range commuting.  I think a 20-25mph is needed.  The newer 1600w battaries I think are worth the additional 300 to have as a 'buffer' when accelerating, or wanting to burst to 30mph.  Still on the fence on weather to get a 16" or18".

If Ninebot would be pro-active, and made a 30mph wheel. I'd consider it.  Looks like they failed with the P model, thinking they could just up the firmware and motor. I think all 3 need to be 'balanced'.  In the same fashion as  CPU/MEM/DISK. Each is it's own bottleneck.  WheelMotor/Board{circuitry_tolerance}/Battary.   I say battery as well, because i've been watching alot of speedyfeets vids, and they all consistently get wattage drop under acceleration, then it bounced back up when at speed or off throttle.  In RC's.. it's fine to let the battary get warm... never had one catch fire yet though :)

4 minutes ago, SeattleAbarth said:

Yeah. I think Ninebot is just trying to Cash out IMO.  Great as an Entry-Mid.  But for long range commuting.  I think a 20-25mph is needed.  The newer 1600w battaries I think are worth the additional 300 to have as a 'buffer' when accelerating, or wanting to burst to 30mph.  Still on the fence on weather to get a 16" or18".

The limited range (I get 12-15km per full charge due to aggressive riding) was the biggest issue for me. Fortunately, the Ninebot One battery cover is easy to modify, and carrying two spare battery packs expands travel distance up to 50km. I struggle with the speed limitation and would like to buy an 18" wheel, but also dislike the Gotway and KS designs.

• 2 months later...

I bought a Ninebot One C+ last month (which is basically the same as the E+, but a bit weaker in power) and your review reminds me of how I felt about it. There a review website that lists it as one of the best electric unicycles and that's actually where I got to know about it. I just really liked the design, that was my favorite part. Anyways, I agree that the 14-15 mile range is good enough for short commuting, but for long distance commutes, you need a faster EUC with a better range. I would also give this one somewhere between 8 and 8.5 out of 10.

Archived