Maybe e-bikes will pave the way for EUCs?

dmethvin

This article in the Washington Post talks about how electric bikes are technically illegal or not permitted on some roads or trails in the DC area. It sounds like local governments realize this doesn't make sense and are looking to change the rules. Since most EUCs don't travel any faster than electric bikes it seems like an opportunity for us to sneak in some support here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/as-e-biking-grows-us-cities-consider-easing-rules-on-where-the-machines-may-be-used/2018/04/06/d20b2f58-3756-11e8-8fd2-49fe3c675a89_story.html

I'm quite nervous that I'm going to have a predicable encounter with the police in the coming months over my EUC.  I am not sure how I'll handle it and I don't feel optimistic about the outcome.  Already had a bad encounter with a douchebag cop after getting hit by a bus.  Completely soured me on the notion that I'll get any help from authorities if something goes wrong.  

I'm realizing that I should change my enthusiasm/evangelism for EUCs into simple support for all electronic transportation devices. 

EUCs aren't for everybody, or even most people, or even a large minority. But there is some electronic transportation device for most people that can be useful/enjoyable for them sometimes. 

The practicality factor of EUCs is simply much lower than an electric scooter that can fold down into a similarly small size, while providing a much higher level of safety than EUCs.

And an electric bike that can also be pedaled also provides a lot more practicality for a much larger number of people.

probably get a lot more haters for suggesting this, how about a driver’s license for euc riders? something like the motorcycle course u are required to take and pass some kind of proficiency test here in florida.i’d probably never be able to pass it but i’m fine at the ranch where i wouldn’t need a license.

i had to take a course and show some proficiency with a handgun before obtaining my license to carry.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

..... i had to take a course and show some proficiency with a handgun before obtaining my license to carry.

Not as many haters as I will get for suggesting that,  your course only covered one of the least important factors in being qualified to carry a handgun.

10 hours ago, EUCMania said:

It says that the law will only apply to Pedal assist.  Pedal assist combined with Throttle is very nice, and I think it is safer in many cases to use the throttle as you have finer control, and easier on start.  Pedal assist can be dangerous if you forget to have your had on the brake with a motor disable feature and spin pedals to get them into position, or are starting off from a start in a more congested area and you forget your assist level is on.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

probably get a lot more haters for suggesting this, how about a driver’s license for euc riders? something like the motorcycle course u are required to take and pass some kind of proficiency test here in florida.i’d probably never be able to pass it but i’m fine at the ranch where i wouldn’t need a license.

i had to take a course and show some proficiency with a handgun before obtaining my license to carry.

No. Getting the gorram gov't involved is NEVER a good idea.

This is amazing news, at least it’s a start. I have several e bikes in nyc and it’s always a drag with the parks department and police checking us out.

Yes, only pedal assist is pointless , and they will figure this out next..

Our city is inundated with Uber cars and it’s only getting worse.

Archived