Jump to content

The problem of the lack of battery charge


sansiz
 Share

Recommended Posts


Hi I'm the only unicycle user 
King sang 14c in Iran
The charge lights did'nt get red when I plug in charge
I checked wire of the batteries it did'nt have any problem 
This problem happened when the axis tilted and I connected the cycle reverse to solve the problem
Is it possible that the batteries have been crrupted?
 The first Battery voltage 65.7
the second battery voltage 51.2
Could you please help me ?

IMG_20171210_000241_597.jpg

IMG_20171210_000244_452.jpg

IMG_20171210_000248_831.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@sansiz

Ok, so you have 2 battery packs, one at each side? 680wh Version?

Obviously one (the 51 Volt) is defect.... take this battery pack out of the wheel and try charging the other one alone!

On the 14 c the both battery packs are in serious, means that the charge  part goes into the first pack, which then is connected to the next pack.

 

And btw.:

Your mod of turning the wheel "around"....search for crack in the axle!!! If you have a crack i the axle, you better change the motor! (or the axle).

Because in case of a crack, it will brake soon! Danger of Faceplant then.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, sansiz said:

This problem happened when the axis tilted and I connected the cycle reverse to solve the problem

@KingSong69makes good points, I must confess I had not replied as I had absolutely no idea what exactly you meant in the above sentence. Can you please explain what the above sentence means? It does sound like the axle may have cracked (which all KS14C’s will eventually do it seems)

As far as the batteries are concerned, they are daisy chained so appear to be wired in series, and certainly a fault in the first one will prevent the wheel charging, however they do effectively power the wheel in parallel so both batteries should always be at exactly the same voltage. There has to be something wrong with the 51V pack, several cells in it are likely to have failed. The wheel will run with either one of those packs so removing one to prove it is faulty is an easy test.

What doesn’t make sense is what a battery failing has to do with your above sentence. Did you accidentally short it whilst taking the wheel apart?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Keith said:

good points, I must confess I had not replied as I had absolutely no idea what exactly you meant in the above sentence. Can you please explain what the above sentence means? It does sound like the axle may have cracked (which all KS14C’s will eventually do it seems)

as i understand his axle is bent and so the pedal arm scratches along the wheel, can be seen in the photos.

He then unscrewed the pedal arms, and turned the wheel 180degre before reattaching the pedal arms, so that the bending is now counterworked!

That is a good solution...as long as the axle is only bent, and not cracked, if its cracked this turnaround will make it brake even further, i guess.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

as i understand his axle is bent and so the pedal arm scratches along the wheel, can be seen in the photos.

He then unscrewed the pedal arms, and turned the wheel 180degre before reattaching the pedal arms, so that the bending is now counterworked!

That is a good solution...as long as the axle is only bent, and not cracked, if its cracked this turnaround will make it brake even further, i guess.

@KingSong69, well spotted, that makes very good sense, but unless he suffered a very very unlucky coincidence, it wouldn’t damage a battery. So what has damaged the battery? Has he plugged it in incorrectly? shorted it? Did he continue to ride it whilst it was scrapping and so overloaded the batteries one failed (seems very, very unlikely?)

Bottom line is that if the motor axle has cracked the only fix is going to be a complete replacement motor unless locally someone can make a new axle for it. If one of the two batteries has also failed that will need replacing as well. At that point, to me it is a write off as the parts (if even available in Iran) are likely to be close to the cost of a new EUC.

Edited by Keith
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The type of steel these axles are made of, has a certain hardness, necessary for its role.  Unfortunately this grade of hardness is brittle, not bendy (don't quote me, but in a bolt, it would be something like a grade 8 bolt) .  So, like everyone else whose left pedal has ended up scraping the motor case, I'd bet real money, his axle is cracked.  Turning it over is a temporary solution, as the strength is severely compromised.  The next time it cracks (and there will be a next time), it will separate completely, with potentially devastations consequences for the rider and the delicate wires inside the axle.

@sansiz STOP RIDING THIS WHEEL, IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH.  IT COULD HURT YOU WHEN THE AXLE BREAKS AGAIN.

I'm guessing you have between 1,200km and 1700km on it.

 

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2017 at 11:05 AM, KingSong69 said:

That is a good solution...as long as the axle is only bent

Are you sure about that? In my world of mechanics, bending stiff material back and forth is an excellent recipe to break it.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On ۱۳۹۶/۹/۱۹ at 12:44 PM, KingSong69 said:

@sansiz

Ok, so you have 2 battery packs, one at each side? 680wh Version?

Obviously one (the 51 Volt) is defect.... take this battery pack out of the wheel and try charging the other one alone!

On the 14 c the both battery packs are in serious, means that the charge  part goes into the first pack, which then is connected to the next pack.

 

And btw.:

Your mod of turning the wheel "around"....search for crack in the axle!!! If you have a crack i the axle, you better change the motor! (or the axle).

Because in case of a crack, it will brake soon! Danger of Faceplant then.


Thanks .I got one of the batteries remove the battery charging
 The problem got solved ....
Yes you are right the axis was defeated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ۱۳۹۶/۹/۲۰ at 11:38 PM, Mono said:

Are you sure about that? In my world of mechanics, bending stiff material back and forth is an excellent recipe to break it.


Yes unfortunately after a week the axis breaked
Exactly 1200 km

۲۰۱۷۱۲۱۸_۱۴۳۰۲۸.jpg

IMG_20171219_234241.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...