Slime tyre sealant and punctures

Mono

I am using Slime in all my wheels and had recently my first two punctures after almost 8000km.

The good news: I could recognise a tiny leak by fluid leaking from the valve stem before I even noticed a loss of air pressure. Slime also helps a lot to find the location where the tube is leaking, as the leak spits out the fluid.

The bad news: even a comparatively small puncture wasn't fully sealed. Repair becomes slightly more difficult, as, I believe, vulcanisation only works on a Slime-free tyre and the leak doesn't quite stop to spit out Slime.

Overall a tyre sealant is a safety improvement, so I will keep using it. I just wonder whether there are better products out there than Slime. 

I carry a pump with me as Slime doesn't stop leaks at first. In my KS16 I've had seven holes with six being snake bites and one being a large screw. And one snake bite on my Inmotion. 

Eventually the holes seal completely but not at first. It took a couple days. 

I do not believe Slime would work on a tear, like what you would get if your tire spun on the rim and took the valve stem with it.

Interestingly,  owning a wheel is the first time I ever dismantled a valve stem as replacing the inner tube is quick and easy. 

Try pumping the tire up beyond normal psi, and keep refilling until no Slime bubbles up. If you have a tear, however, I think that's hopeless. 

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

In my KS16 I've had seven holes with six being snake bites and one being a large screw. And one snake bite on my Inmotion. 

WHAT???!!!??SNAKE BITES!! Are you being literal or is this slang for a type or tire damage, I'm not familiar with?

if these are real snake bites please do elaborate. For instance are the the manager of the reptile house at the local zoo, or do you ride the trails by your local bayou?

When hitting, say, a curb so hard that no air is left between rim and curb, it may well lead to a tube defect from both sides of the rim resembling a snake bite, hence the name for this kind of puncture mechanism.

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Eventually the holes seal completely but not at first. It took a couple days. 

For me, it seemed the leaks were getting worse, not better. Strange. 

7 hours ago, Mono said:
I am using Slime in all my wheels and had recently my first two punctures after almost 8000km.

The good news: I could recognise a tiny leak by fluid leaking from the valve stem before I even noticed a loss of air pressure. Slime also helps a lot to find the location where the tube is leaking, as the leak spits out the fluid.

The bad news: even a comparatively small puncture wasn't fully sealed. Repair becomes slightly more difficult, as, I believe, vulcanisation only works on a Slime-free tyre and the leak doesn't quite stop to spit out Slime.

Overall a tyre sealant is a safety improvement, so I will keep using it. I just wonder whether there are better products out there than Slime. 

This stuff is more of a gel, I  use it in my motorcycle tires, but have not yet tested it in a wheel.  

http://www.ride-on.com/bike-on-bicycle-formula.html

You can carry a can of this stuff as well.  It will add gas inflation to the tire while sealing it.  I have tried this stuff and it works really well.  Not bad a s a backup to an already slimed tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Fix-Flat-S60136-Aerosol-Inflator/dp/B008YK4XLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511776658&sr=8-2&keywords=fix+a+flat+bicycle

Here is a comparison of product video.

Archived