shock absorbers

exoplanet

Easy. The shell is fixed to the wheel, and only the pedals are suspended. Although, separately suspended pedals is the only way to do that, which I think is not ideal in all situations.

Then again, how much is "significant travel"? I think 15mm downwards and 8mm up would be significant. I also think that would still be well jumpable. I know I don't jump any less with my current suspension system than I did without it... :P  (White men can't jump.)

Well... that can't happen on an EUC, the center of weight would change way too much. You do realise that even regular cars don't have nearly that much travel?

7 hours ago, exoplanet said:

Who gives a shit about centre of mass.

You do. Every time you accelerate, slow down or turn with an EUC.

The issue is that the weight balance changes so much, the wheel would behave very differently depending on the suspension position at any given moment.

To redesign an EUC to make that work would no longer be an EUC.

I haven't figured out a way to measure the actual suspension travel on what I built on my KS-16S, but I don't think it goes down more than 10mm. Still, makes a huge difference to riding comfort, grip and control, as well as knee pain and foot and leg fatigue. Yes, some kind of suspension should be a default in a modern, fast EUC.

Shock absorers arentjust required for comfort to avoid back pain and such but also for riding safety Wyou ride along and  sudddenly a raised part of the asphalt on a bridge joint or whatever kicks you up  say 10 cm. In this instance the wheel might not have enough power to overcome the bump. Another way is to oversize the wheel, but an almost equally effective measure is to have thicker tyres. or deeper ifyouwill. sothat the tyre can be compressed more than current versions thereby allowing you toclimb biger curbs without getting snake bites and such.

the small bumps get taken care of by the tyre presssure an dpeerhaps ashort tl suspension system but that is not enoughwhen it comes to the kind of buumps that may otherwise throw you off.

The nice thing about having goood terrain characteristincs on the ec is that they permit you to focyus on the bigger picture when you are rideing. On flat asphalt i focus on where the road is winding and my surrroundings. On gravel paths i constantly focus on the next rock or whatever. not as enjoyable. I want to carry the comfort from asphalt to rougher terrains. also I want to be able to jump down curbs without the jolt from landing straight. thereby warranting 25 cm at least . travel.  an da  small wheel for better transition from hills up and down.

sk-cb2f9b3acbb11e2a3c7121c0b4865433.jpeg

The problemwith this design is that the position of the wheel changes as you compressor extend the shock absorber. This would result in constantssoeedups aor slow downs when running over obstacles, but i dont know how big of a problem it would be.

25 cm travel.

stong light to see in dark

weaker light, but covering big surface to be seen in fron anbehind.

small whee for more comfort. Wider tyres for safety and comfort. tyre that can be compressed alot to climb curbs and stufff.

handle to trolley.

lights that dont blind oncommers.

top speed: a suicidal 50-60 kmh.

range 100 km.

battery ca. 4000 plus wh.sk-68c3310955243d9e3902503b5f3f1acb.jpeg

1 hour ago, exoplanet said:

sudddenly a raised part of the asphalt on a bridge joint or whatever kicks you up  say 10 cm.

If a 10cm rise can come up to a rider suddenly, no amount of suspension travel will make that person's ride even remotely safe.

On gravel paths i constantly focus on the next rock or whatever. not as enjoyable. I want to carry the comfort from asphalt to rougher terrains.

This is a good point. Although you don't need 10cm suspension travel for that. My approximately 1cm already does wonders.

also I want to be able to jump down curbs without the jolt from landing straight. thereby warranting 25 cm at least . travel.

You do realise that a mere 1cm gives you many times the suspension travel you get from just the tire? I don't get a "jolt" when I ride down a curb.

Exo, sometimes your wishes are as astronomical as your home planet. You want 25cm of suspension travel from a wheel diameter barely more than that. Since the ride level should still be around 10cm from the ground, at the highest point the pedals will be 35cm from the ground. This is not a matter of an EUC redesign, it's a matter of making any sense or not.

Isn't that just the point that more suspension travel makes bigger obstacles a non problem. Like now a pebble isnt a problem. With 1 cm  travel, a smaller rock will be no problem and with even more travel, the problem get s even more allevieated, allowing youu to consentrate on the road ahead in stead of every minisculee detail (miniscule here being defined by what you can traverse without any problem.=)

Great to here that 1cm does wonders. My thinking was that the more travel the better because a given force or object will compress the suspension more, tranferring forces away from you as a rider to the suspension system. Folling that logic, a 1 metre suspension would be even better. All you would have to do then is put measures in place so your foot plates never scrape the ground. This could be a stop system in combination with an increassed hardness inpension at the outher limits.

I almost get snake bites from riding down curbs. I think I am compressing the tyre more than a cm. Good to know an additional cm helps alot. I want tobe able to ride down curbs without thining about them .now i have to brace myself. Curbs are oftentimes 15 cm here. That is wy i want th esuspension to extend alot when riding down so that i get a gentle landing from riding down rather tahn having to feel the curb.

as far as i can tell. wheel diameter doeent have any bearing on how long suspension travel is feasible or wanteda as far as i can tell. waht are your thoughts on the matter?

the 10 cm clearance between the gorund and the pedals at the low point think is a good idea. Although on predictable asphalt places landing lower down doesnt seem to be aproblem. the 35 cm above the ground at the highest level, would only be with the suspension fully extended without any weight on it. Say when riding down a curb or similar. What is the problem with being high up? lets say we were 10 metres up, what wouldbe the problem with that.? the fference would be that the acceleration would besomewhat impaired and the power requirement for the same acceleration would be vastly iincreased because you would have to lean considerably further ahead to get the same accelleration. 35 cm woul no problem is my guess.

Important for euc design is that the device remains low cost. I dont care about that too much in this design, but i see how this violates that .

5 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

I almost get snake bites from riding down curbs.

Your tire pressure is dangerously low. Especially considering the gravity you have there.

5 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

I want tobe able to ride down curbs without thining about them

You need a different kind of vehicle.

10 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

Pressure is high. I dont want a different vehicle, so therefore the redesign has to be done.

It has been done, you just need a wider tire like on the Ninebot Z.  Watch it go up the 10cm curb.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, exoplanet said:

How the hell can you be downvoting an improvement for euc's? Have you no shame?

Or do you disagree that it would be an improvent? Will it make devices too expensive?

chill i downvote one of your comments because it was just ridiculous...

That one is actually good. just add the flashlight.

Put it inside a shell, add landing gear, mount the wheel on a platform that allows independent lateral movement between the cockpit and the wheel and you have a cool new transport tech.

Archived