Mten3 pedal grip mod

trya

When I ride my wheels on one leg - it is imperative to feel confident that your foot will not slip. Even though the pedals of Mten3 have grip tape and rubber inserts - the traction is not sufficient for one-foot exercises, especially when pedals are wet, or have some dirt/sand on them. I followed the advice of Yorkshire Airwheels LTD (https://youtu.be/9YjmwrGYi8E) and made my pedals really grippy :) So far this mod works really well.

The only small change to the above procedure is to find your 6 pedal screws first under the grip-tape - I've done it using a needle as a probe.

Lf7AUD1.jpg

BMzWfVO.jpg

yes, flat grip-tape works good enough, I didn't need to change anything on my V5F+. However riding in the forest and stepping a few times in a mud and back - makes it lose most of the grip :) Also V5 pedals are angled more upward, Mten3 pedals are too horizontal, which makes it easier to slip off them.

look what happens to Mten3 grip tape after a few hours of one-leg exercises. this sucks. The grip-tape on V5F+ stays intact after many months of similar abuse. the grip-tape I put on my MCM2s  pedals also stays in place with no issues.

R2DVzQw.jpg

7 minutes ago, trya said:

look what happens to Mten3 grip tape after a few hours of one-leg exercises. this sucks. The grip-tape on V5F+ stays intact after many months of similar abuse. the grip-tape I put on my MCM2s  pedals also stays in place with no issues.

R2DVzQw.jpg

Wow, I guess one legged riding puts a lot of stress on the pedals. I wonder it having more angled pedals like those other wheels reduces the lateral stress on the tape? Do those other wheels have angled pedals?

I practice one legged riding on an euc without grip tape, and indeed, you really feel your feet at the limit of the grip on those pedals. Maybe I should put suction cups on my shoes :P

btw, can't you just go to your local skate shop with the disassembled pedals and have them cover it with grip tape again?

6 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

btw, can't you just go to your local skate shop with the disassembled pedals and have them cover it with grip tape again?

it is easy to do on your own, professional help is not necessary, I think. In my view, rubber inserts make the grip less efficient, the flat pedals with grip tape work better. As to my case - the mod with screws works well so far and I don't care much about the grip tape at this point.

• 7 months later...

I like the idea of switching the pedals out with larger mSuper pedals.  I'm going to do that after switching out the tire with a more symmetrical tread version.  I also have foot pain after riding the mten3 for 15 minutes.  I'm hoping larger pedals will address that as well. 

Archived