Tenancy at will

Bob Eisenman

My landlord decided not to renew the lease on my apartment (and other tenants) for another year. A 'tenancy at will' agreement kicks in by law at the end of the month giving both me and the landlord a thirty day notice policy for termination of the agreement. 

Does any one on the forum have experience in why a landlord would not want to renew a lease?

While, to me, this is way more important than determining the correct psi of my EUC tire, worrying about a kids interest in the sport of EUC or the prospect of learning to ride an Mten recent posts to this forum might not appreciate housing options as being important in enjoying an EUC riding experience.

Sorry to hear this.

Maybe he wants more money (rent) and does not expect to get it from you? (And all the others?)

Maybe a planned luxury renovation to sell the property then? Standard gentrification? Selling luxury properties makes more money than renting to ordinary people.

Some specific reason?

You should ask your landlord.

Hoping you find a good replacement!

That sucks, from your time lapse video out the window looked like a nice location upstairs.  Hope you find a good one, at least it's not the worst weather to have to move in.

My guess is the owner sold the property because he wanted a lump sum now instead of long term income.

10 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Does any one on the forum have experience in why a landlord would not want to renew a lease?

Perhaps the rental income is not great enough to cover upkeep expenses, or its too little to make it worth the trouble. 

11 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

My landlord decided not to renew the lease on my apartment (and other tenants) for another year. A 'tenancy at will' agreement kicks in by law at the end of the month giving both me and the landlord a thirty day notice policy for termination of the agreement. 

While, to me, this is way more important than determining the correct psi of my EUC tire, worrying about a kids interest in the sport of EUC or the prospect of learning to ride an Mten recent posts to this forum might not appreciate housing options as being important in enjoying an EUC riding experience.

Don't waste your time thinking about it or fighting it:  you can't win. The best outcome is for the realtor to feel that your exit went smoothly. Find another place to live, and be prepared for this kind of thing in the future.

You landlord wants you out because he can make more money renting at higher prices. The housing market for those who already own property has been increasing at a phenomenal rate.

The continuing present response, in the interest of present homeowners and realtors, is for the US government to heavily subsidize loans for ever increasing housing prices. The homeowners are happy see they see their home prices rise, although almost entirely due to government loans and anti-new home building regulations, and realtors are happy since they go by cut of each home sold.

An easy way of looking at this is if I have 100 loaves of bread for 100 people at a buck each. Everyone is happy so long as production is continued at 100 loaves per day, yes?

Now suppose I get 50 extra people. It should be blatantly obvious (and it is to homeowners) that simply giving those extra people extra money won't solve the famine yet that is exactly what the present government is doing with housing loans and tax exemptions. The solution, of course, is to simply increase production.

Since rental and ownership markets are part of the same housing market, it follows renting and buying prices follow each other in lockstep.

What can you do?

--Gentrification; you move into the extremely cheap ghetto areas.

--You pay out the nose for ever-smaller square feet.

--You buy a house. Increasingly I see this less as an option as there are no more "starter" houses.

--You buy a house a helleva long way out where regulations have not yet prevented the not in my backyard building endemic to all US cities and most suburbs. However, commuting is extremely unhealthy for you.

I was hoping the huge 2008 housing bubble crash would have knocked housing prices to a more reasonable level but, instead, we saw the biggest transfer of wealth from taxpayers to banks in the history of the US. The Wall Street Journal ran several stories that showed the US government lending banks zero interest loans which the banks promptly turned around and loaned back to the government at .5% to 3% interest. Why? So it doesn't look like you're just giving a for-profit industry money with no services in return.

Still, that money had to come from somewhere, and right now the national debt stands at a cool 1.1 millions dollars per person.

I'm a big fan of gentrification; in my opinion you should be rubbing shoulders with poorer people. I've noticed all the white liberals I know are, by their actions, the most racist of all people because they sequester themselves in these strongly white and Asian housing communities.

15 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The house (5 apartments) is up for sale as of Sept 30.

So now you know.  Maybe the owner needed a big lump sum instead of steady income, or the heirs didn't want to mess with it.

Hopefully you find a nicer place for less money.

On 9/29/2017 at 10:09 AM, LanghamP said:

An easy way of looking at this is if I have 100 loaves of bread for 100 people at a buck each. Everyone is happy so long as production is continued at 100 loaves per day, yes?

My father was a third generation industrial Baker and I worked summers at the bakery to pay off college tuition bills. For the industrial bakeries (1970s) it was more like :

About 30 loaves a minute

Must join the the Union (Teamsters)

Time and a half paid over 8 hours

10 - 12 hour shifts depending on sales projections

15 minute breaks every few hours

Very hot , especially in the summer

Cooler working conditions during night shifts

Option to give an 8 hour notice at shift start to decline hours beyond 8 per day and to allow management some time to find a worker to cover the overtime

No two day weekends because the product has a short shelf life. Sundays and Tuesdays off instead. Makes for a hard escape for more than a night.

This particular apartment location seems to be an annual (or more frequently) location (give or take a few houses) for auto accidents like the one that happened an hour ago at about mid night. I call 911 each time but always fail to be the first caller. This accident had some moans from a trapped woman, hopefully more fear than injury since less than 15 minutes after extrication the scene was quiet. The local hospital is a mile away and two ambulances ultimately responded.

• 2 months later...

A buyer was announced in December 2017 for the landlord's property where I rent , currently month to month due to the landlord's decision to sell. The new owner closes in mid January with various fire alarm replacements and inspections by the landlord ongoing as per law. It appears the landlord will initially (at least) not require that either I or the remaining tennants move. Certainly more to come following the close on the property. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today the landlord closes on the sale of the building where I rent an apartment. Yesterday he arrived with printed documents covering transfer of deposits to the new owner and his contact name and phone number. Massachusetts law dictates that all tennant deposits are protected by law and gives the new owner 45 days to contact the existing tennant that the deposits have been transferred.

With that parcel of information I went briefly back to an online chat room where Eastern European women (Romania, Czech, Bulgaria, other areas) market themselves to be viewed online. Within minutes my allotted data limit for this month was reached. With bandwidth throttling in place a fleeting glimpse of a model I've watched for awhile became erotic history for the next few days.The cold weather (20s) had left the streets bare. Occasional ice patches were easy to see. I left on the Monster for Boston sometime after noon. During my last EUC venture to Boston I was at the BPL (Boston Public Library) for a bit. The library has a unique blend of architectural types ranging from child areas painted in walls of varying solid color to older stained wood panel reading areas including one room with a ceiling painted with a heavenly scene bare breasted angel women on horseback.

https://imgoat.com/uploads/8dd2c7955c/76811.jpg

https://imgoat.com/uploads/8dd2c7955c/76815.jpg

My ride by EUC to Boston usually ends not far from the Boston Museum of Science 
76816.jpg

but yesterday I went on to Starbucks on Memorial drive. A mini version of the Marty Backe CA freeway walkway-type overpass exists on Memorial drive, some 3+ miles from the Museum of Science. Each side has a 180 switchback on the ride up. Going too fast is important when negotiating the hairpin turn. As I was nearing the end of the visually fixating walkway turns, speed and position seriously thought out beforehand,  an attractive woman near the base of the ramp caught my attention seconds before passing her. She seemed to be smiling , visually locked on my mode of travel and entertained by my path of motion , much like I was entertained by the webcam model I'd watched hours before, but before bandwidth throttling started.
The guys at Starbucks and one either transgender female or a young woman with dramatic eye and eyelash makeup staffed the coffee shop. Maybe the she(?) is a member of the Harvard 'Hasty Pudding Group'.  The guy who served me coffee urgently asked 'anything else' with each of two purchases I made at the Starbucks.

76809.JPG

(an older picture from a night perspective)

Archived