Mountain Stress Test of the KS14S

Marty Backe

It's been a few weeks since I received my KS14S. Today I finally had the opportunity to complete my final test before I produce a review video. There are some local mountains with extreme conditions that make for a great EUC torture test.

The KS14S passed with flying colors. I was on the mountain for 3 hours 45 minutes, 3 hours of which I was riding. This really is a great trail wheel, and perhaps that's where it is best right now because it's a lousy street wheel due to the speed throttling. But in the mountains you rarely go even 10mph.

I was able to take it up a couple of extreme trails that are difficult for the ACM. Perhaps because of the smaller diameter wheel which made for better maneuvering.

I was able to overheat the wheel, but you'd be impressed if you saw what I was climbing at the time. But the results were worth it. The previous generation (KS14C) overheats at ~63 degrees Centigrade, which means it overheats a lot under strenuous conditions. Interestingly, the KS14S overheats at ~80 degrees Centigrade. I did not expect that. So KingSong has radically increased the temperature at which they are willing to run. This is good, because that allowed the wheel to get much further up the hill before stopping me. I can now certify :D that the KS14C will only overheat under the most extreme conditions. Normal humans need not worry :lol:

I dropped the wheel multiple times today (this was a Category 4 trail in many places - 5 is nearly impossible to traverse), and a couple of times previously. I must say that I"m extremely impressed with the changes that KingSong has made concerning wheel turn-off times. Every single time the wheel has fallen, the tire stops spinning immediately. There appears zero possibility of the wheel jumping and dancing like Gotway. The KS14C could spin up during a crash, but not this version. It's perfect. I can't state this strongly enough - Gotway sucks in this regards. Whatever KingSong did, Gotway needs to steal it ;)

That's it. Thought I'd share a bit of my recent testing.

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

So what wheel do you prefer for off-roading?

Isn't a bigger wheel diameter better for going faster and less risk of falling over obstacles? Guess it depends on what speed you want to go?

Impossible to say. It depends on the type of off-roading. On these particular trails I think the KS14S is probably the perfect wheel because the trails require a lot of footwork to avoid ruts, boulders, etc. It's almost like an obstacle course. For some other trails the MSuper is great because it's more comfortable traversing bumps and gravel, but not so nice when you have to perform many rapid direction changes.

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

What sort of warning does the wheel give?  Does the wheel tiltback and beep at the overheat condition?   Anyone open up a 14S?  Are there fans?

Yes, there are fan(s). You can hear them. The 14S certainly runs a lot cooler than the 14C. That in combination with the higher set point makes for a wheel that will rarely overheat.

Warning? It tilts back rather dramatically and beeps. I would say zero warning. More like immediate self-preservation mode :D

Is there any sort of air intake for the fans from maybe the lower wheel well area?  I was watching Tishawn's video of the Gotway Telsa internals, and it's interesting to see what might be channels that could allow air to pass through the casing.  The fans I think encourage air flow from those channels.  I remember @Cloud (:innocent1: RIP my good man) trying to mod his wheel by cutting holes in the casing.  I wonder whether there is any way to limit the heat rise somehow by drawing enough heat away from the MOSFETs to keep them from rising above a certain critical temperature.  Maybe internal heat-sink antifreeze cooling tubes with an auxilllary dissapator located externally somewhere?

I guess I'm just trying to think theoretically whether you could have completed your extreme hill climb if say an ice-pack was plopped on the heatsink.  If those MOSFETS were forced to be cooled down, would the limits of the wheel's climbing abilities be raised?  Heatsinks can only do so much cooling.  People use ethylene glycol cooling setups for CPU's.  Why not devise a setup for MOSFETS?  Or maybe a small CO2 cannister rigged up to a temperature valve that sprays onto the heatsink to cool it down if 75C is reached...  :efef50e3ba:

18 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Is there any sort of air intake for the fans from maybe the lower wheel well area?  I was watching Tishawn's video of the Gotway Telsa internals, and it's interesting to see what might be channels that could allow air to pass through the casing.  The fans I think encourage air flow from those channels.  I remember @Cloud (:innocent1: RIP my good man) trying to mod his wheel by cutting holes in the casing.  I wonder whether there is any way to limit the heat rise somehow by drawing enough heat away from the MOSFETs to keep them from rising above a certain critical temperature.  Maybe internal heat-sink antifreeze cooling tubes with an auxilllary dissapator located externally somewhere?

I guess I'm just trying to think theoretically whether you could have completed your extreme hill climb if say an ice-pack was plopped on the heatsink.  If those MOSFETS were forced to be cooled down, would the limits of the wheel's climbing abilities be raised?  Heatsinks can only do some much cooling.  People use ethylene glycol cooling setups for CPU's.  Why not devise a setup for MOSFETS?  Or maybe a small CO2 cannister rigged up to a temperature valve that sprays onto the heatsink to cool it down if 75C is reached...  :efef50e3ba:

Frankly @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, I'm not worrying about it. I think the wheel performs admirably and I see little benefit in making it work better under edge cases like this. The Gotway wheels eventually overheat too.

It has been awhile. What happened to @Cloud?

Yeah I don't know.  I miss the guy.  :cry2:  I hope he's okay.  You don't visit the forums that frequently and then suddenly fall off the face of the planet without something happening.  Then again where is @The Fat Unicyclist?  Also @Greg Spalding has not returned.  I was hoping maybe he might share his Msuper riding / learning experiences a bit more with us.  I do remember what you mentioned way back, but a lot of time has gone by.  Well, maybe people do move on to other things.  I know I'd rather be riding than working, but I'm stuck at work still.  :angry:  Life does get in the way of forum life sometimes...

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yeah I don't know.  I miss the guy.  :cry2:  I hope he's okay.  You don't visit the forums that frequently and then suddenly fall off the face of the planet without something happening.  Then again where is @The Fat Unicyclist?  Also @Greg Spalding has not returned.  I was hoping maybe he might share his Msuper riding / learning experiences a bit more with us.  I do remember what you mentioned way back, but a lot of time has gone by.  Well, maybe people do move on to other things.  I know I'd rather be riding than working, but I'm stuck at work still.  :angry:  Life does get in the way of forum life sometimes...

Oh, OK. When you wrote RIP I thought you knew that he had died :cry2:

Ooooh nooooo I was just kidding around.  :whistling:  Strange though that he just vanished as he was a hard core EUC rider.  You don't just give it up like that unless maybe you have a serious injury that sidelines you perhaps.  He did have the problem with bursitis and that accident when a cyclist plowed into him... maybe his doctor made him quit riding.

Archived