Worried my Gotway Mten purchase may go sour - Edit: Joy follows pain :-)

Tilmann

Edit Dec 2016: For a much newer report on the sometimes stoney road to heaven with direct purchases from GotWay, please read

------------ End of edit ------------

Dear experienced Gotway buyers, I need your advise please.

As I could not locate any Mten2 available for purchase in Europe, I turned directly to @Jane Mo. She got the preferred 340Wh model in stock. The only payment options offered were bank-to-bank transfer or Western Union (no Paypal, Credit Card, etc. even with compensation of their service fee). Bank-to-bank is extremely cumbersome, as my bank requires paper forms by snail mail.

Wednesday morning (5. Aug.), I sent the money via Western Union to the Bank account requested by Jane, beneficiary Xu Min. Shortly after taking the money from our account to theirs, WU put the transaction on hold, asking for additional information about the receiver (address, date of birth and passport number). I forwarded this question to Jane via facebook PM (https://www.facebook.com/jane.woo.1987) - no answer. I repeated the question yesterday morning - it was read, but no answer. I repeated the question this morning via PM from this board - not read, no answer. Meanwhile, I see continued activity on Jane's facebook account.

Now I'm worried. 

Some of you dealt directly with Gotway before, Jane is a well respected member of our community. Yet, the way this is going, it rings a few classic alarm bells. What would you recommend me to do: stop hyperventilating and wait for a response or try to reverse the transaction with Western Union? Can you please share some of your experiences which might help?

Don't worry too much

I did bank transfer as my bank allows set up on line but then they wanted the recipient's address which I asked Jane for and there was a bit of a mix up of the bank address which I filled in instead of recipient.

Managed to correct it eventually and everything went ok.

You must rember that English isn't Jane's first language and there is a time difference.

Now I have the correct bank details saved as a template I've made two further purchases from her with no problems. But I have to agree with you that Western Union makes me nervous.

Tillman, I have the same problem as you 4 months ago.

I sent the money to Jun Wu instead of Xu Min. Please confirm with Jane if you can still send the money to Jun Wu.

1.       First Name – Jun

2.       Last Name – Wu

3.       Id # - 411502198705137714

4.       email address -jane.ebicycle@gmail.com

5.       Telephone number - 18550104513

You don't need to worry I think.Our company also only accept transfer bank to bank.No paypal.Maybe she will cantact you when product is ready for shipping.After all,We all belive her is a good seller of GW.

For me ,I will send email to my customers to tell them when I can deliver or chat with them when they are  waiting for their products.That will make them feel "it is not so long to waite".

I hope you can have a good solution about this thing.Good luck.

Hi @Gimlet, @dranreb and @Sunny Rockwheel,

thank you for your tips and reassurance! That helps me to stay patient ... I will update you on how this theater develops. If we master the money transfer thing, the next challenge is waiting: finding an air carrier willing to ship a 340Wh battery. Oh boy, I picked a great point in time for this experiment ... :(

• 3 weeks later...

@Donafello: Still very sparse information with long periods of silence in between. With just the date of birth of the bank account holder, we persuaded Western Union to do the pay out two weeks ago. Another week silence, then a two word mail on Wednesday: "sent yesterday". My question regarding tracking info remains again unanswered since then.

Sigh... 

Sounds like Gotway needs to step up their customer service  :mellow:  Hope you get your wheel soon!

I mailed one German company some time ago asking about Firewheels, but never got any response. Sent mail to another yesterday asking about spare parts and possibility of buying an entire wheel without batteries, let's see if they respond. Oh btw, the company I mailed yesterday also sells custom battery packs for wheels (207Wh for Airwheels, some IPSs and probably generics, 388Wh for Ninebots, 414Wh for Airwheels and some others, 828Wh for Firewheels and 1035Wh for Gotway MSuper):  http://scooterhelden.de/onlinestore/196/42/firewheel/unicycle-akkuaufrüstung-detail   Had I noticed that before, I maybe should have ordered from them, and had avoided the entire hassle with modifying the shell to get the packs to fit (I'd expect the FW-packs to fit out-of-the-box), and maybe got the packs faster... oh well, too late for that now.  ;)

Sheesh. If someone is going to take the time to send a email then at least take a couple more seconds and explain what's happening. Unless they are like Steve jobs and to the point which would mean your wheel is on the way:)

@Donafello & @Gimlet and all others waiting for an update: HEUREEEEEEEKA - it's here! :D:wub::D

While communication with Gotway remained a bit challenging throughout, I'm sure your collective finger-crossing made it happen. Perceived delivery time with "wind chill factor" was 5 years, but looking at the calendar, all-in-all it took 1 month. 

As I work in Berlin and the wheel was delivered to my home address in Regensburg (some 500km south), I don't have it in my hands yet. My girlfriend traveled home to collect it for me (boy, I love her :wub:). Here's the first unboxing pic I've got - still covered in Gotway's signature disintegrating styrofoam attesting it's virginity:

mten.thumb.JPG.125d8aa444b191c53d548b304 

Because of the high individual postage costs of wheels, sometimes as much as half the total cost  actual prices paid mean very little unless accompanied by the sellers and buyers location and taxes paid to customs etc.

• 1 month later...

You don't need to worry I think.Our company also only accept transfer bank to bank.No paypal.Maybe she will cantact you when product is ready for shipping.After all,We all belive her is a good seller of GW.

For me ,I will send email to my customers to tell them when I can deliver or chat with them when they are  waiting for their products.That will make them feel "it is not so long to waite".

I hope you can have a good solution about this thing.Good luck.

I paid by wire transfer, still waiting for my Rockwell GT14..... :unsure:

As reported earlier in this thread, buying and finally receiving my new Mten directly from Gotway was a bit of a bumpy road. Actually riding the Mten was an awesome experience and put that bright grin back onto my face! For about 25km total, until it was time to charge it up again and there was no way to do it.

So, here is "Season II" of my Mten journey:

With the charging problem, I turned to Jane Mo. After the usual turnaround time of 1 week, she referred me to Strong Tan, introduced as Gotway's "Germany agent". Surprise: Tan directly contacted 1RadWerkstatt in Germany. So, at least I was relieved to receive qualified help. But of course, 1RadWerkstatt had nothing to do with the sale and is in no way obliged to fulfill Gotway's warrenty. 

I sent the brand new Mten to 1RadWerkstatt and here is what they found:

1RadWerkstatt_01.thumb.jpg.4c49add8a9389

1RadWerkstatt_02.thumb.jpg.aff2a523e1823

1RadWerkstatt_03.thumb.jpg.cad95c8c68ffc

Inside the battery pack, all contacts and bridges are extremely corroded, leading to short circuits of several cells. In all of its 25 marvelous kilometers of use, the Mten was never exposed to a rain drop or any other form of increased humidity. When opened by 1RadWerkstatt, the battery pack was bone dry inside and out. Draw your own conclusions... :(.

Grateful for the quick help, of course I will pay 1RadWerkstatt's repair bill and use the opportunity to have a decent 414 Wh pack installed. 

In parallel, I emailed Jane Mo today asking for reimbursement of the repair cost with a 340 Wh pack (same as original) or free delivery of a replacement Gotway battery. 

I will report further development to you.

Sheesh. That really sucks. This is why we need a better way to buy these units. Being in the united states I basically have narrowed down my options to buying a new unit if I ever have a problem. Maybe in the future things will change

That looks pretty bad :o  At least you'll now get quality batteries... as for the corrosion, maybe it's possible that the pack had trapped some moisture when it was wrapped, but it has evaporated over time (after doing its damage), while tightly packed the shrink wraps aren't completely air (or water) tight. Good thing it didn't cut out while you were riding it.

I'm still waiting for my next package from 1Rad Werkstatt, it was sent a week ago, and has finally started to show in the domestic tracking, but probably won't arrive here until next week. Not that I'm really in much of a rush anymore any way, with the frame-project taking my time & winter starting to set in (-4.8C outside right now).

• 2 weeks later...

What shipping company does Jane mo use for here gotway product she sent you I just ordered a gotway mcm4 from her but not sure who she use for shipping so I can estimate how long delivery will take to United States 

My Mten came by UPS and I got a tracking number from Jane. The status was frozen on "we did not receive it yet" for about one week, than jumped to "it is in Germany". 

After Jane confirmed receiving the payment, total shipment time was about 2 weeks. Apparently, it just rushed through customs as they did not charge me anything. I'll cross fingers you get a similar treat by the IRS :D

Archived