Software speed limit consequences?

ir_fuel

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I wanted better safety margins

Great post, Unventor! My main reason for upgrading to MSX from the 16S was exactly that: I decided I will not fall a second time because the tire sinks in a soft spot in the sand/gravel. Besides only the Monster, the MSX has the best power, battery and tire regarding safety.

16 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Great post, Unventor! My main reason for upgrading to MSX from the 16S was exactly that: I decided I will not fall a second time because the tire sinks in a soft spot in the sand/gravel. Besides only the Monster, the MSX has the best power, battery and tire regarding safety.

Oh thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I get my Inmotion V8 fixed up, and use this to trading and learn on. I still like to be ambidextrous stepping up. And I like to learn riding backwards and idling pendulum. 

I believe it is easier on a lighted and more nimble wheel. So having my Inmotion V8 still have purpose to me. And of course a back just in case. Plus since my car don't have a spare tyre but tyre repair kit, I have room in the trunk for a V8 so I don't have to do long walks in case I can't get a parking spot near work or shopping mall.

So I can keep my big fat smile no matter what wheel I use.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:57 PM, ir_fuel said:

Question, as I don't want to be the one to try it :) 

Right now I have limited the speed of my V8 to 25 km/h. Once I reach that speed the pedals go in tilt-back and I get warning beeps. I know this device is capable of going faster, so what will happen if I ignore this warning and just push through to get over 25 km/h? Will it tilt-back so far that I fall off? Will it cut out?

I suggest that one should just try it: set the max speed to 5km/h and try to go as fast as possible. Then one can of course repeat the experiment with increasing speed setting, e.g. 10km/h, 15km/h... It is a very valuable experience and exercise.

Of course I did it. And I found that the tilt-back works as speed limiter as expected, but may feel pretty scary at first. I never experienced a cut out (i.e. the wheel turns of while driving) in any of my wheels operating them now for roughly 500 hours.

Edited by Mono

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

As I understand it there are a few things that can trigger a cut out.

Nothing should trigger a cut out or is likely to trigger a cut out on a modern wheel, IMHO.

Edited by Mono

10 hours ago, Mono said:

Nothing should trigger a cut out or is likely to trigger a cut out on a modern wheel, IMHO.

A reckless or uneducated rider is. Obvious example: If the battery charge is low, a hard acceleration on a steep uphill is likely to trigger a cut-out even on a modern wheel. And will stay being likely for the generations of wheels to come.

”Can” trigger and ”should” trigger are of course very different lists.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

A reckless or uneducated rider is. Obvious example: If the battery charge is low, a hard acceleration on a steep uphill is likely to trigger a cut-out even on a modern wheel.

For which wheel did you observe a cut out in this situation? What did convince you that it was a cut out?

I assume that hard acceleration on low battery charge will lead to a voltage drop (which results in a possibly dramatic drop of torque and as a consequence possibly in an overlean), rather than to a cut out. I have no evidence to the contrary for any of my wheels.

Edited by Mono

Ah, we are into the stricter terms of terminology. You are correct, what many people refer to as a cut-out is actually an over-lean. I think I kind of gave up on the semantics at some point and went with the masses...

In that sense, yes, modern wheels cut out extremely rarely.

• Upvote 1

Just now, mrelwood said:

I think I kind of gave up on the semantics at some point and went with the masses...

I understand, yet I think the distinction is relevant, because with experience and practice an overlean may often be manageable staying on the wheel while a cut out means always to step down off the wheel.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/24/2017 at 7:30 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Initial results: at both 10kph and 20kph the V8 will tilt back to the point of throwing you off backwards. I wasn't as daring at 20kph but at 10kph I'm sure I hit 29 degrees at one point. It is simply impossible to ride through it to higher speeds. I logged the test and will post the speed/tilt graphs when I get chance.

This is totally unacceptable. Has no one else experienced this or does anyone else not see how dangerous this is?  If you are going near top speed and experience a tiltback, how can you lean back to slow your speed without falling?  

If the tiltback is severe enough to almost make you get/fall off, a person's normal reaction would be to lean forward (which would make the tiltback even more aggressive).  This is not safe at all!!!

I fell twice because of tiltbacks and I have experienced aggressive tiltbacks 3 times total. I don't know how I didn't fall the other time.

On 5/31/2018 at 5:17 AM, Moshtrat said:

Guys thanks for the very useful posts on this.

I have a related question so I didn't want to create a new topic for it.

Should I have any concerns with setting the software speed limit on my V8 to 30 km/h? I currently have it set at 28 km/h just to make sure I don't overburden the motor.

The downside with this setting though, is that I frequently get a tilt back as I tend to remain as close as possible to the the top speed while cruising.

Now I want to set it to 30 km/h but I wanted to ask here to see whether there is a strong argument for not doing so (negative impact to battery life, over-heating, etc.) With respect to the tilt back, I guess I will still have the issue as I will simply try to go faster than 30 km/h this time. So that's not a huge concern at this moment.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

If your riding at the top end constantly, its time to upgrade.  There is no safety for constantly pushing the wheel to the limits.  Im in the same boat, in constantly riding tiltback and i immediately back off if i catch a beep.  Been lucky enough to ride my buddies kingsong 18xl on group rides while waiting for my v11 to get here though so at least i get my speed fix every other week while waiting.

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2017 at 11:56 PM, WARPed1701D said:

So here is the condensed chart.

Blue line is speed in KPH. Orange is tiltback in degrees.

I tried exceeding a user set limit of 10 kph twice and then one attempt at exceeding 20 kph. Both we hitting over 15 degrees of tiltback if I were 2 kph over the limit. 25 degrees at about 3kph. Quite simply there is no way to ride through this on a V8 and you sure as hell do not want to quickly accelerate into it unexpectedly.

tiltback.png

Thanks a bunch! Very useful even 6 years after your post.

• 6 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 8:57 AM, ir_fuel said:

Question, as I don't want to be the one to try it :) 

Right now I have limited the speed of my V8 to 25 km/h. Once I reach that speed the pedals go in tilt-back and I get warning beeps. I know this device is capable of going faster, so what will happen if I ignore this warning and just push through to get over 25 km/h? Will it tilt-back so far that I fall off? Will it cut out?

Do NOT. I repeat, do NOT go past its speed limit, it shuts down and you will go flying. I’m telling you this from experience. I belly flopped with no chance to react because of how angled I was. Keep it under its speed limit or if you start feeling the tilt back, slow down. Reminder, u can still ride with a small tilt back just as long as u don’t go past its speed limit. Check your manual for its maximum speed and just keep it under that, and you’re golden. Have fun and be safe. 😁