Ninebot A1 vs C+?

EU_Newbie

Looking for some friendly advice. Soon to pull the trigger on my first EU. I'm considering a Ninebot A1 for $400 or Ninebot C+ for $440. The E+ looks to be hundreds more so ruling that out (if I really use like I hope to for commuting then I can always sell and upgrade later). I'll be riding 2.5 mi each way on city streets and sidewalks --- some bumpy spots but no off-roading. 

As best I can tell, the specs are nearly identical (12.5mph) and the only real difference is the padding on the sides of the C+. Does anyone have any insights they can share as to which might be the best pick?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, NinebotNewbie said:

Looking for some friendly advice. Soon to pull the trigger on my first EU. I'm considering a Ninebot A1 for $400 or Ninebot C+ for $440. The E+ looks to be hundreds more so ruling that out (if I really use like I hope to for commuting then I can always sell and upgrade later). I'll be riding 2.5 mi each way on city streets and sidewalks --- some bumpy spots but no off-roading. 

As best I can tell, the specs are nearly identical (12.5mph) and the only real difference is the padding on the sides of the C+. Does anyone have any insights they can share as to which might be the best pick?

Thanks!

I would vote that you look for a Gotway MCM3 V2, which is a good starter wheel. (260wh-> over 32kmh!, about 500dollar on tec-toyz.com)

Both mentioned Ninebot's are just to slow and soon after you learned to drive them, you will crave for more Speed! Otherwise: The main difference is the tiresize!

A1 is 14inch...C+/E+ are 16inch wheels, more stable to drive.

But like said, there are better starter wheels available nowadays...

5 hours ago, NinebotNewbie said:

Thanks!

The bigger difference is the tire sizes, the A! is 14 inch the C+ is 16 inch.  The bigger tire handles bumps better, but since you are only going a couple of miles, the 14 inch would work  fine I think.  The A1 is a much newer model than the C+, but they both seem to be good wheels, from what I have read on the forum.  I haven't ridden an A1, but the padding on my E+ really doesn't help that much.  And you can get pads for the A1.  

I would probably get the newer model A1, for the reason that it is newer technology.

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I am now checking out the Gotway you referenced. It does look to be a strong candidate.... yes which does make me consider that a different user name may eventually be required ;) I'm open to all recommendations!

12 minutes ago, NinebotNewbie said:

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I am now checking out the Gotway you referenced. It does look to be a strong candidate.... yes which does make me consider that a different user name may eventually be required ;) I'm open to all recommendations!

you can change your name under settings ;-)

20 minutes ago, NinebotNewbie said:

I think your biggest error is the idea of going for a  'starter wheel.'

There may be SOME differing opinions on this, but I'm a big believer in the go-decent-first-time philosophy. Don't buy a piece of crap and then upgrade later. You're just haemorrhaging more money overall.

You want a wheel that has at least a 22/24kph speed, from a reliable manufacturer, and from a reliable seller. Save yourself the drama if you choose otherwise.

I would skip both the A1 and C+ Ninebots. The One E+ is still a popular, respectable wheel and a little faster than both, just seriously overpriced at the moment (I personally wouldn't pay more than $600 delivered for a new one).

Also, I don't think speed should be the deciding factor for your first wheel. As long as your first EUC can cruise at 13-14+mph / 20-25kph range (which a NB1E+ can do), it should be fine for short commutes over mixed terrain for a while. Many of those who recommend fast wheels have been riding for a long time (look at how many wheels @KingSong69 and others have had!), regularly ride longer distances on mostly smooth terrain; or they just talk fast but ride at Ninebot E+ speed anyway :efee612b4b:. Also, if you think you will be happy with a small battery and only want to ride 2-3 miles per trip, you will most certainly want to ride farther in no time, guaranteed. 

The EUC market is changing fast, and the next (3rd? 4th?) generation is approaching. Also, you really won't know which kind of wheel will be best for you until you have been riding at least 3-6 months. Hopefully Gotway will release much improved upgrades to the MSuper and ACM, or newer models, by then; Kingsong is rumored to be working on a redesigned KS-18, and Ninebot/Segway has just announced the Z. So, I'd say buy something that is known to be reliable, cheap ($500-900 max), and has at least a 300-400Wh battery. I'd also recommend a 16" wheel as well. Unfortunately, due to the increased demand and time of year (summer in the northern hemisphere), finding a wheel that offers good value for money is harder than it should be. 

Good luck!

It really is a question of how much money you can and want to spend. Nobody has yet complained about buying a too good (more expensive and faster and powerful and whatever) wheel. Many have upgraded very soon after getting a Ninebot (like one week after) due to speed.

Thanks guys. So, sounds like speed is a limiting factor of the base Ninebots so perhaps ruling out the A1 and C+. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $600. Based on the feedback, I'm going to look next closer at the Gotway MCM3 ($500 plus shipping on tec-toyz), Ninebot E+ ($650 on ebay) and Gotway MCM4 V3 ($660 on AliExpress). 

Don't forget to budget an extra $75+ (basic protection) for safety gear as a new rider, or considerably more if you do not anticipate upgrading for a (long) while. The minimum equipment should include a helmet, knee pads, wrist guards, elbow guards; your requirements will depend on your age, where you ride, and your budget. There are many opinions and recommendations on this site to help guide your choices. 

2 hours ago, litewave said:

Don't forget to budget an extra $75+ (basic protection) for safety gear as a new rider, or considerably more if you do not anticipate upgrading for a (long) while. The minimum equipment should include a helmet, knee pads, wrist guards, elbow guards; your requirements will depend on your age, where you ride, and your budget. There are many opinions and recommendations on this site to help guide your choices. 

Yes. Duly noted litewave.

3 hours ago, NinebotNewbie said:

Thanks guys. So, sounds like speed is a limiting factor of the base Ninebots so perhaps ruling out the A1 and C+. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $600. Based on the feedback, I'm going to look next closer at the Gotway MCM3 ($500 plus shipping on tec-toyz), Ninebot E+ ($650 on ebay) and Gotway MCM4 V3 ($660 on AliExpress). 

Digging further, based upon suggestions I have also recently spotted the Gotway ACM at a decent price point. So adding this to the list of potential ones to consider, along with the others.

If the ACM is somehow in your price range, then look no further. That is a durable (good for training) and long term (fast, powerful, long range) wheel.  It should last you a very long time.

Keep in mind that it is VERY powerful and fast for learning on. But if you respect it, you should be fine. You can also set speed limits in the app. 

I have a Ninebot A1. It's great, small, light. I actually like it's only 14inch, very compact, can take it everywhere. But the speed limit is horrible. Just after a week of using it I constantly think of how slow it is. It makes matter a whole worse that Ninebot just stops you if you try to top your speed by just 1mph, and you have to accelerate from the start. I wish I bought something else as my first wheel...

1 hour ago, Templar-kun said:

I have a Ninebot A1. It's great, small, light. I actually like it's only 14inch, very compact, can take it everywhere. But the speed limit is horrible. Just after a week of using it I constantly think of how slow it is. It makes matter a whole worse that Ninebot just stops you if you try to top your speed by just 1mph, and you have to accelerate from the start. I wish I bought something else as my first wheel...

The speed limit is great!  It is protecting you from those unexpected bumps in the road.  Are you saying that if you hit tiltback on the A1, you have to stop completely and restart your ride?  That's the first time I've read that.  If so, I applaud Ninebot!  Stop, take a break, think about what just happened, then start over.

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

The speed limit is great!  It is protecting you from those unexpected bumps in the road.  Are you saying that if you hit tiltback on the A1, you have to stop completely and restart your ride?  That's the first time I've read that.  If so, I applaud Ninebot!  Stop, take a break, think about what just happened, then start over.

While saying that it stops you completely is a little exaggeration, but the fact is that it cuts your speed by half, beeps at you annoyingly (swearing in R2-D2 language) and for a few seconds you are not in control of the speed, can't accelerate at all. So yes, I can just stop and think about my life, then start over.

How about riding a bike that automatically pushes your brakes when you pass 11mph (saving you from bumps)? I don't know about you, by I always ride my bike pass 14mph on straight road.

3 hours ago, Templar-kun said:
10 hours ago, steve454 said:
3 hours ago, Templar-kun said:

While saying that it stops you completely is a little exaggeration, but the fact is that it cuts your speed by half, beeps at you annoyingly (swearing in R2-D2 language) and for a few seconds you are not in control of the speed, can't accelerate at all.

That sounds annoying, I didn't know the A1 did that.  I see why you wish you had a different wheel.

22 hours ago, steve454 said:

Thanks everyone. Great feedback. Based upon this, I'm ruling out the A1 and C+ and going for something with more speed. So now I believe it's between the Gotway MCM3, MCM4 V3, and ACM. MCM3 seems a great value at $500.

**There seem to be a lot of fans for the ACM out there and I have spotted one -- Gotway ACM 680Wh v2 new for $650 which seems like a deal. 

Archived