Lots of Questions :)

sanman

3 hours ago, Keith said:

THE single most irritating thing to me about nearly all current EUC's is the absolutely impossible job of fixing a puncture roadside as almost all of them need virtually total dismantling to get at the tyre.

Yeah I worry about that too but fortunately I've only had a flat on my first EUC (twice!) and was close to home. It was basically a defective tube with a weak point near the fill valve and Slime wouldn't have helped. I thought you'd absolutely have to dismantle the EUC but this video shows that for at least some wheels you can manage to patch the tube without taking anything apart: 

Tubeless tires:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/should-you-change-to-tubeless-tyres-177480

Fewer flats, thicker tread

Tubeless tyre systems do, however, suffer from fewer flats than clinchers as they are run with sealant inside that will instantly dry around a hole and seal it. Tubeless tyres can also run a slightly thicker tread without compromising feel, which with only one layer between the wheel and the tarmac is said to be better than clinchers.

If the system does fail when you’re out on a ride, an inner tube can always be fitted to get you home.

14 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Agreed.  I've always had flat feet but until at least 30 was very skinny.  

There is no statistical difference between people who have flat feet and people who don't have flat feet. People with flat feet are fine (hell I have them). What is not fine is an inwardly turned big toe. Bunions, not flat feet, indicate malformed feet, and bunions are responsible for a host of feet problems.

Try this: put a big ol' splint between your big toe and your second toe and walk around without shoes. Notice how, suddenly, your flat feet don't seem to be a problem anymore. Obviously you can't fix bunions except by surgery, but you can strengthen your foot muscles so bunions are less of a problem as your tensed foot can approximate a well-formed foot. You won't ever be able to exercise your foot, though, by wearing cement cases all the time.

Athletic footwear is there to allow bodies to generate forces well beyond what one could achieve bare-footed which is the reason every single sports at the highest level has specialized footwear.

2 hours ago, sanman said:

If the system does fail when you’re out on a ride, an inner tube can always be fitted to get you home.

No it most certainly cannot! That was the whole point of my previous post.

Whilst one or two wheels have enough clearance to pull a tube out of the wheel to repair it as @dmethvin stated above, the vast majority do not, and absolutely none of them would allow to physically fit an inner tube without dismantling the whole wheel, a very difficult job to do when roadside.

A tubeless tyre, however might allow a puncture to be repaired from the outside of the wheel which, of course, a tube would not.

Always assuming you can get a 14" tubeless tyre?

6 hours ago, Keith said:

We have one of those already - it's called a foot! When you are able to ride OK you do not have any difficulty mounting a wheel and neither do you have any difficulty putting one foot down when you stop. I.e. How many motorbikes have you seen where it's kickstand comes down automatically? There are all sorts of scenarios where it would do more harm than good (not the least transitioning from forwards to backwards) and it really isn't needed - it is just a skill to learn.

interestingly, some EUC's come with training wheels that bolt onto the undersides of the peddles to "help" beginners mount the wheel in the same way as your automated kickstand would. I think I am correct in saying the absolutely universal advice from experienced users is to throw those training wheels away and don't bother fitting them - they actually make learning harder.

i would agree that many wheels manufacturers do seem to ignore the fact that users would like to be able to stand the wheel up when they have dismounted from it so some form of "parking stand" would be a nice to have. One or two wheels do have something but it is one of the areas where owners usually end up making their own bodged solution.

However, if we are talking about design changes, THE single most irritating thing to me about nearly all current EUC's is the absolutely impossible job of fixing a puncture roadside as almost all of them need virtually total dismantling to get at the tyre. I'm sure @Marty Backe would quickly say "fill the tyre with slime" but I've yet to find a source of that in the UK. Every time I go on a long ride, the risk (albeit so far it seems a very small risk) of a puncture is always a worry, getting stranded on foot with a heavy wheel to carry for some miles. Thankfully I'm old enough to have a free bus pass so I do always make sure I have that on me ?

A case design that allowed one side of the wheel to open up clamshell fashion so you can actually get at the tyre (and also inspect the insides for rust, damage and build up of mud etc) would be a huge improvement IMHO.

I just looked and found Slime widely available from UK Amazon and UK EBay. Are you anti E-Commerce?

I am 100 percent confident that Slime will prevent flats in the field. My only caveat is that you will need a portable hand pump and multi-tool in the situations where a nail penetrates the tire but doesn't come out. Then you need the multi-tool to remove the object and the pump to refill the tire. Both tools are extremely small to carry with you. That is how I ride now.

3 hours ago, sanman said:

Gee, I never thought about that - what if you go trekking out into the wilderness, and suffer a puncture 20 miles out? You might even take a dangerous fall if your tire bursts suddenly in transit.

For smaller gadgets that are more important to us - like cell phones - they ought to be designed with high quality/reliability in mind. Maybe a Kevlar-reinforced tire? Or Vectran? Polyurethane foam tires can't burst, since their interior is foam.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/puncture-proof-install-solid-tannus-tyres-146970

Personally, I think the "solid tire" could be improved by having an air-inflated core at its center.

I do a lot of off-road riding where I am miles from the nearest road/civilization. With Slime in all of my wheels I feel totally confident that a flat will not ruin my day. 

2 hours ago, sanman said:

Tubeless tires:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/should-you-change-to-tubeless-tyres-177480

Fewer flats, thicker tread

Tubeless tyre systems do, however, suffer from fewer flats than clinchers as they are run with sealant inside that will instantly dry around a hole and seal it. Tubeless tyres can also run a slightly thicker tread without compromising feel, which with only one layer between the wheel and the tarmac is said to be better than clinchers.

Although it's technically possible to change a tire out in the field, it's not something I would want to tackle. For Gotway wheels you would only need a few hand tools, but much of the wheel would have to be disassembled. I think Slime will cover the vast scenarios that would cause a flat.

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I do a lot of off-road riding where I am miles from the nearest road/civilization. With Slime in all of my wheels I feel totally confident that a flat will not ruin my day. 

Hi Marty,

I've seen some of your videos, and your trip out by a rockslide was exactly what I was picturing when I made my post :P

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Although it's technically possible to change a tire out in the field, it's not something I would want to tackle. For Gotway wheels you would only need a few hand tools, but much of the wheel would have to be disassembled. I think Slime will cover the vast scenarios that would cause a flat.

They need to offer a higher-end wheel as an upgrade/option. That wheel could be made of some better quality material, that would be much more puncture resistant. Such upgrades/options could come factory-installed.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/biking/kevlar-mountain-bike-tires.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/369806-the-best-bicycle-tire-liners/

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, sanman said:

Hi Marty,

I've seen some of your videos, and your trip out by a rockslide was exactly what I was picturing when I made my post :P

They need to offer a higher-end wheel as an upgrade/option. That wheel could be made of some better quality material, that would be much more puncture resistant. Such upgrades/options could come factory-installed.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/biking/kevlar-mountain-bike-tires.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/369806-the-best-bicycle-tire-liners/

What do you think?

It definitely would not hurt to have higher quality tires or kevlar liners. If it wasn't so painful to remove the tire I would probably have already added a liner to my wheels. I know that I sound like a salesman for Slime, but I do think that it solves any concerns that I have regarding flats.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, awesome, I think the main problem is to find such tires with adequate specification in size and max load.

The new Ninebot Z uses pretty "fat" tubeless tires, probably like they are used for motor scooters. For EUCs they are probably suboptimal in terms of comfort and rolling resistance.

2 hours ago, electricpen said:

@Marty Backe How much slime do you put in your tires? Is it a different amount for 14/16/18" wheels or is it too small of a difference to change the amount?

I used guidance from other people to arrive at my usage:

• 14" - 16" : 3oz
  • 18" : 4oz
  • 22" : 8oz

23 hours ago, electricpen said:

Hmmmm now that I look at it, how do I even measure out the slime? I got a 32 oz container.

slime bottle has oz indicator for people like us wondering how much is 3,4, or 8 oz ;) 

Archived