Repairing MSuper Flat Tire with Slime

54 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I purchased these the other day for valve removal. They look thin and long enough to make removal a breeze. Of course I've no wheel yet to try them on...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003YXDJO4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately there's a strong likelihood that those will not work. The problem is with the valve stems. More often than not they point into the shell. So you have to have a very short core removal tool. This is what I use:

41UhFj-xMcL._SX466_.jpg

available from Amazon: http://a.co/7KhiFe0

Even that is too long for one of my wheels (I can't remember which). Fortunately there is a built-in core remover in the Slime cap that will work in most cases.

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately there's a strong likelihood that those will not work. The problem is with the valve stems. More often than not they point into the shell. So you have to have a very short core removal tool. This is what I use:

41UhFj-xMcL._SX466_.jpg

Even that is too long for one of my wheels (I can't remember which). Fortunately there is a built-in core remover in the Slime cap that will work in most cases.

D'oh! I was going to get that one but a number of reviews said that what they received resembled nothing like the picture so I moved on. Oh well. They are at home still in the delivery box. Guess they will probably be going back. I hoped being so long and thin I could get just enough twist on the valve to get access at a very shallow angle.

8 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

D'oh! I was going to get that one but a number of reviews said that what they received resembled nothing like the picture so I moved on. Oh well. They are at home still in the delivery box. Guess they will probably be going back. I hoped being so long and thin I could get just enough twist on the valve to get access at a very shallow angle.

That should work fine.Even if the end of the valvestem is touching the rim,there is usually enough play to pull it back enough to get that on there.I Slime all my wheels,everything from the m10 to the Monster and 8 others(Kahuna is a solid tire)and I can always get that valvestem tool on any wheel.                                                                                                                                                 wrna4NJ.jpg

54 minutes ago, Sven said:

I'm ready to rescue any unicyclist out there with flat tire. :)

IMG_5200.JPG

I just got mine today (haven't opened the package yet). I hadn't thought of mounting it on my wheel though. Unfortunately I have four wheels - what to do:confused1:

I like your mounting idea :cheers:

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I just got mine today (haven't opened the package yet). I hadn't thought of mounting it on my wheel though. Unfortunately I have four wheels - what to do:confused1:

Velcro!

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:( i guess... I'm glad i don't have that dilemma

im waiting for someone to return wheels to jason atm. Msuper or ... maybe another monster. Whichever comes first lol

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

4 pumps!

36 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

4 pumps!

Yeah, but each one is ~$45.

I'm probably going to keep it in my backpack or such. With the kind of riding that I do the pump would probably get destroyed the first time I dropped the wheel :(

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:52 PM, Marty Backe said:

41UhFj-xMcL._SX466_.jpg

Good news. The removal tool I got works well for the V8 and is highly recommended for that wheel if you want to remove the valve to add Slime. Shame you can only get it in a 2 pack.

http://a.co/asRZjS2

WP_20170719_18_43_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20170719_21_49_12_Pro.jpg

15 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Good news. The removal tool I got works well for the V8 and is highly recommended for that wheel if you want to remove the valve to add Slime. Shame you can only get it in a 2 pack.

http://a.co/asRZjS2

WP_20170719_18_43_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20170719_21_49_12_Pro.jpg

Good news. Every wheel seems to be different. Looks like the V8 is one of the better ones for easy access.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:31 AM, Marty Backe said:

There's always a little bit of bending the valve, but not too much.

I've always used the built in removal tool that is part of the slime cap.  I only bend the valve stem enough to use the cap tool or to put the pump fitting on.  It's not much and it's a tight fit, but it works.

3 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I've always used the built in removal tool that is part of the slime cap.  I only bend the valve stem enough to use the cap tool or to put the pump fitting on.  It's not much and it's a tight fit, but it works.

I was going to just use the cap tool but an Amazon reviewer stated that Slime blocked their valve and locked the valve in place when they tried to unscrew it. They went to a bike shop for help and It turned out the cap tool was just too crap to do the job as the valve thread had stiffened to some degree thanks to the internal coating of slime. Use of a proper tool had the valve out in seconds.

So many times in life I have been thwarted or had a hell of a time trying to do a simple task just because I didn't have the tool needed or worse thought I had the tool but it turned out to be a half-arsed one that failed to get the job done. I now have a comprehensive high quality tool kit and try to anticipate and buy any extra tools I need...before I actually need them. P.S. Ratchet Spanners/Wrenches are the greatest invention on earth! My life got a whole lot simpler then I brought a set of those!

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

I was going to just use the cap tool but an Amazon reviewer stated that Slime blocked their valve and locked the valve in place when they tried to unscrew it. They went to a bike shop for help and It turned out the cap tool was just too crap to do the job as the valve thread had stiffened to some degree thanks to the internal coating of slime. Use of a proper tool had the valve out in seconds.

So many times in life I have been thwarted or had a hell of a time trying to do a simple task just because I didn't have the tool needed or worse thought I had the tool but it turned out to be a half-arsed one that failed to get the job done. I now have a comprehensive high quality tool kit and try to anticipate and buy any extra tools I need...before I actually need them. P.S. Ratchet Spanners/Wrenches are the greatest invention on earth! My life got a whole lot simpler then I brought a set of those!

Haha, fair enough and makes perfect sense.  I think the intent of my response was to let other readers out there know that special tools are certainly not a requirement of the slime process, but a bit of a luxury.  Again, I completely agree with your logic, but don't want anyone to miss out on the advantages of using slime because they think they have to buy more tools just to use it.

2 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Haha, fair enough and makes perfect sense.  I think the intent of my response was to let other readers out there know that special tools are certainly not a requirement of the slime process, but a bit of a luxury.  Again, I completely agree with your logic, but don't want anyone to miss out on the advantages of using slime because they think they have to buy more tools just to use it.

True and a good point.

35 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I agree that the built-in 'tool' within the cap will work mostly, but on one of my wheels it wasn't strong enough (it's simple plastic) and I had to use the metal version.

Considering how infrequently any given person needs to slime a tire, there probably ought to be a community tire valve removal tool available to whoever needs it via postal mail from the last person who used it.  Maybe one for US and one for EU.  The rest of you are on your own!  

8 minutes ago, radial said:

Considering how infrequently any given person needs to slime a tire, there probably ought to be a community tire valve removal tool available to whoever needs it via postal mail from the last person who used it.  Maybe one for US and one for EU.  The rest of you are on your own!  

I'm happy to donate the spare I got in the 2 pack to the cause, but as already said the cap tool will probably be fine for initial application to a new tube (assuming you can get it on the valve) It is subsequent valve removal when it might be gunked up where a tool may be required.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a bottle of Slime like I don't know, 2 years ago or something, meant for my unicycle, but never actually opened the bottle.

Would it still be good quality and ok to use after all this time?

Or should I just throw it away and buy a new bottle?

57 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

I purchased a bottle of Slime like I don't know, 2 years ago or something, meant for my unicycle, but never actually opened the bottle.

Would it still be good quality and ok to use after all this time?

Or should I just throw it away and buy a new bottle?

I think the shelf life of an unopened bottle of Slime is indefinite. The company states that it's good for ~2 years once placed in the tire because it eventually dries up. I would have no problems using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived