Jump to content

Repairing MSuper Flat Tire with Slime


Marty Backe

Recommended Posts

I dunno, this seems like the situation where you would expect Slime to seal the hole. I guess you saved the hassle of pulling off the tire and patching the tube, but still had to endure the flat tire and Uber of Shame home. Was the air loss really slow? I know what you mean about the feeling of a flat tire, I guess it's like boiling a frog and if it's slow enough you don't notice an immediate problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I dunno, this seems like the situation where you would expect Slime to seal the hole. I guess you saved the hassle of pulling off the tire and patching the tube, but still had to endure the flat tire and Uber of Shame home. Was the air loss really slow? I know what you mean about the feeling of a flat tire, I guess it's like boiling a frog and if it's slow enough you don't notice an immediate problem.

The air loss was rapid, maybe 15 seconds. Not having to replace a tube or remove the tube for repair is a major win in my book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine if the object is still there then each time the wheel rolls on it there is enough difference in movement between the solid object and the flexible tire to break any seal the slime had made.  Just my guess.

 Another good video. It had convinced me to slime my tube when it arrives. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Marty, maybe this pump can be in your backpack.

Peter

Screenshot_2017-07-09-16-57-10.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

Hi Marty, maybe this pump can be in your backpack.

Peter

Screenshot_2017-07-09-16-57-10.png

Thanks Peter. That's the one that I was thinking about, although the same unit has all kinds of different branding. This is the cheapest that I've seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I would go with one of those compact mechanical bicycle pumps.  Cheaper, lighter, smaller, and less to go wrong.  Might be a little more work, but it's not like you are going to go flat on a regular basis.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, radial said:

I think I would go with one of those compact mechanical bicycle pumps.  Cheaper, lighter, smaller, and less to go wrong.  Might be a little more work, but it's not like you are going to go flat on a regular basis.  

I concur.

For my Brompton (16" wheels running 90PSI) I carry one of these in my bike bag and will carry it with me when wheeling.

https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Pressure-Drive-Black-Small/dp/B005UZPML2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499648545&sr=8-1-fkmr0psc=1

All metal design. Very compact. Very lightweight. Has a built in flexible hose to attach to the valve stem so not awkward tight space connections or valve stress when pumping. No battery to let you down. I usually forget I have it with me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:18 PM, Marty Backe said:

I'd bet my paycheck that all EUC tires use tubes. I bought the 16oz size from Amazon, but be sure you use the one for tubes. The Slime sold for tubeless tires has much bigger chucks of 'stuff' in it which would probably mess up your valve if you placed it in the tube. I use 3oz for my 16" wheels, 4oz for 18", and 8oz for 22"

Might be worth adding this post from another thread where Marty advises the amount of Slime he uses depending on tire size. It seemed relevant to also be mentioned in this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I concur.

For my Brompton (16" wheels running 90PSI) I carry one of these in my bike bag and will carry it with me when wheeling.

https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Pressure-Drive-Black-Small/dp/B005UZPML2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499648545&sr=8-1-fkmr0psc=1

All metal design. Very compact. Very lightweight. Has a built in flexible hose to attach to the valve stem so not awkward tight space connections or valve stress when pumping. No battery to let you down. I usually forget I have it with me.

Wow, that is small. I think I would prefer this too - less to go wrong than an electronic one.

The only question is does it fit in the very tight spaces of the EUC wheel?

Also, there are different sizes. The bigger size just puts out more air per pump, but otherwise, they're the same?

Thanks for the link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Marty Backe (sorry forgot to quote you so you get a notification)

Yes bigger pump for greater output per pump. I'd go as small as possible considering this is emergency only and will still do the job. Which is why I have it for my bike. 

The Pressure Drive (the linked one) is designed for small volume high pressure tires (road bikes). They had another version when I brought this that was more geared towards larger volume with less pressure (think MTB). For my Brompton this is ideal. I'll admit that come 70PSI it gets very hard work but those pressures aren't necessary for EUCs that I've seen. The 40 PSI you inflated to in your video would be easy.

The connection hose is a straight screw on connection at the valve. I'm not sure if that is an issue or not (I don't think so) but it is as long as the pump itself (and stores inside the pump!!!) so you can easily bend it away from the wheel.

I think my V8 will arrive on Tuesday. If so I can see how it fits the V8 valve and report back. Until then if you'd like some further pics of the pump or a video I can see what I can do. Just let me know. It's the least I can do.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I thought some of you guys would appreciate how effective Slime is at fixing a tire. My tire in this case :(

@who_the and @Kevin Grandon - this is what ruined the ride. Hope you guys got some riding done at Venice Beach.

 

Dang Marty that sucks! I know you were looking forward to this excursion with @The Fat Unicyclist! Great informative video as always! I would seriously consider increasing your donations to the GW Gods!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Dang Marty that sucks! I know you were looking forward to this excursion with @The Fat Unicyclist! Great informative video as always! I would seriously consider increasing your donations to the GW Gods!

Yes, please tell me where to send my donation :confused1:

This happened today. Fortunately, the ride with @The Fat Unicyclist went off nearly perfectly, except for the 100+ degree temperatures :furious:  Video soon.

After he rode my MSuper for most of the evening that's the wheel he decided to buy. Fits his frame very well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

@Marty Backe (sorry forgot to quote you so you get a notification)

Yes bigger pump for greater output per pump. I'd go as small as possible considering this is emergency only and will still do the job. Which is why I have it for my bike. 

The Pressure Drive (the linked one) is designed for small volume high pressure tires (road bikes). They had another version when I brought this that was more geared towards larger volume with less pressure (think MTB). For my Brompton this is ideal. I'll admit that come 70PSI it gets very hard work but those pressures aren't necessary for EUCs that I've seen. The 40 PSI you inflated to in your video would be easy.

The connection hose is a straight screw on connection at the valve. I'm not sure if that is an issue or not (I don't think so) but it is as long as the pump itself (and stores inside the pump!!!) so you can easily bend it away from the wheel.

I think my V8 will arrive on Tuesday. If so I can see how it fits the V8 valve and report back. Until then if you'd like some further pics of the pump or a video I can see what I can do. Just let me know. It's the least I can do.

 

Thanks for the offer for the video, but I think I'm just going to buy one. I found lots of images online which gives me a good sense of its size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, please tell me where to send my donation :confused1:

This happened today. Fortunately, the ride with @The Fat Unicyclist went off nearly perfectly, except for the 100+ degree temperatures :furious:  Video soon.

After he rode my MSuper for most of the evening that's the wheel he decided to buy. Fits his frame very well.

I'm so glad you got to ride with him! I bet he is super excited to get a new wheel! Will TFU be dealing with Jason?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the offer for the video, but I think I'm just going to buy one. I found lots of images online which gives me a good sense of its size.

Awesome. Let me know what you think of it. I just weighed mine. 3.2oz (91g). Super lightweight!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I'm so glad you got to ride with him! I bet he is super excited to get a new wheel! Will TFU be dealing with Jason?

I believe so. He wants to, particularly since he knows that the wheel from @Jason McNeil will the trustworthy. He just needs to convince Jason to send it to New Zealand. Jason is reluctant to deal with customs because of previous difficulties, but he may make an exception for TFU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I believe so. He wants to, particularly since he knows that the wheel from @Jason McNeil will the trustworthy. He just needs to convince Jason to send it to New Zealand. Jason is reluctant to deal with customs because of previous difficulties, but he may make an exception for TFU.

Once I'm home I'm going to do a bit of investigation to see what challenges to expect with our customs brigade, then we'll see what we can work out. 

The ride was great, even with jetlag and a dry roasting... It was fantastic to meet these guys,  try different wheels and just ride with a group - even though they told me a part of the initiation was to fake a fall while on camera (which I did). But now I'm thinking they just wanted to see if I bounced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Once I'm home I'm going to do a bit of investigation to see what challenges to expect with our customs brigade, then we'll see what we can work out. 

The ride was great, even with jetlag and a dry roasting... It was fantastic to meet these guys,  try different wheels and just ride with a group - even though they told me a part of the initiation was to fake a fall while on camera (which I did). But now I'm thinking they just wanted to see if I bounced. 

TFU Fall

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

TFU Fall

 

Bugger... I just realised I was smiling for the camera. Perhaps we should try another take (seeing as it Is Hollywood after all)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The MSuper valve seems pretty inaccessible. The video shows struggling to even get a dual air chuck on. How did you get the Slime in? The valve core removal tool doesn't easily fit on the valve. Do you just bend the valve down by force?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, joftley said:

The MSuper valve seems pretty inaccessible. The video shows struggling to even get a dual air chuck on. How did you get the Slime in? The valve core removal tool doesn't easily fit on the valve. Do you just bend the valve down by force?

There's always a little bit of bending the valve, but not too much. I also bought a small valve removal tool. The Slime itself has a very flexible tube, so injecting the Slime has never been a problem on any of my wheels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...