Segway One S1 Running Amok

RichieV

This links to a new review of the Segway One S1 on Amazon and it has video of a customer's wheel lying on its side spinning at full speed whereafter it gets picked up and still spins like crazy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2PSACU4S3XES8/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01M1SFFNE

The written review says this happened after applying a firmware update and claims that from researching that "lots of people Had same problem online" [sic].  I've not seen anything on this forum about the issue; has this happened to anyone here?  The video of the wheel spinning uncontrollably like that is unsettling, and if it's true that a firmware update was the cause, then Segway One S1 owners should be concerned.  I don't have one so it does not affect me but it might affect some of you who do.

Yeah, that would be something!  Can you imagine if that were a more powerful wheel?  You'd have to remove the side panels to unplug the battery and HOPE you don't get caught up in the wheel.  It could do some real damage if you got caught in that.

I'm really dubious of this. If it happened directly as a result of doing a software update:

• why is it outside on the grass?
  • why did there seem to be no attempt to turn it off by its switch?

He clearly had not learned to ride it, did he actually know what he was doing when he did the software update? I don't know the procedure for Ninebot software flashing but very few devices cope with an update being interrupted, and behaviour if it is interrupted is going to be unpredictable.

i know there has been some software release problems on Ninebots but I am certainly completely unaware of this one so his statement "I find lots of people Had same problem online" also very questionable?

4 hours ago, Keith said:

I'm really dubious of this. If it happened directly as a result of doing a software update:

• why is it outside on the grass?
  • why did there seem to be no attempt to turn it off by its switch?

He clearly had not learned to ride it, did he actually know what he was doing when he did the software update? I don't know the procedure for Ninebot software flashing but very few devices cope with an update being interrupted, and behaviour if it is interrupted is going to be unpredictable.

i know there has been some software release problems on Ninebots but I am certainly completely unaware of this one so his statement "I find lots of people Had same problem online" also very questionable?

Maybe he hacked it somehow?  It was making some strange noise.  Reminds me of the video where this guy crashed and broke his collarbone (he said) on a Ninebot one E+  about a year ago.  I never trust these negative reviews, something seems wrong here.  And why do we not see the people that are making these comments?  The woman has a Russian or French accent, the man sounds American.  That right there throws doubts on the video, I mean, that is unusual.  And not to attempt to turn it off by it's switch?   And he just got the wheel and decided to do an update?  Really? 

On 6/30/2017 at 9:15 AM, RichieV said:

a customer's wheel lying on its side spinning at full speed whereafter it gets picked up and still spins like crazy:

"I decided maybe a firmware update on this leftover Sone now that there's an S2 maybe needs a firmware update if it's been sitting in a warehouse so I did the firmware update and as soon as the firmware update was done it acted like it was hacked all the safeties stopped working the wheel started spinning and wanted to stand up and take off at 40 KpH double the safety limit the maximum speed! we had to hold it down and wanted to stand up and take off like a rocket it could've killed somebody if someone was on it or got hit by it."

See, EUC community! We're not the only ones who send out junk firmware!! - Gotway

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nathan Kaiser said:

@MMP Looks like that's the way to go. Just for efficiency I thought maybe there is an easy fix. 

Thanks!

Where did you buy it?  If you have a Segway dealer near you  and you have the receipt,  you could call them and ask if they can fix it under warranty.  Who is MMP?  If you were referring to @meepmeepmayer just type the @ and the first couple letters of the person you are wanting to notify, you'll get a popup with all possible names.  

One thing I just thought of, you could disconnect the batteries for a minute, reconnect the batteries and turn it on, that might reset it.  Since the S1 was designed with easily removable batteries, it shouldn't affect warranty, but just to be sure, call a Segway dealer, also they might be able to tell you over the phone how to reset it.  You might have to disconnect the battery/batteries and push the power button to discharge the capacitors, i don't know.

Archived