Purchased a New Inmotion V8 Today!

AllenF

2 hours ago, Hatchet said:

I disagree, I think it's insane to ride w/o a helmet. it takes almost nothing to give trauma to the brain. You can hit your head falling while walking and suffer damage to the brain, swelling, bleeding, etc. A helmet is non-negotiable for me. Stay safe Paddy!

+1 on the helmet ... not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" you will need it ...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/28/2017 at 7:33 PM, AllenF said:

Hey guys!

I joined the forum today after placing an order with Jason for an Inmotion V8. I figure I'd get the order in before the upcoming upheaval and price increase because of the  joint venture between Inmotion and Solowheel. 

Jason is a really nice guy and processed my order over the phone personally. 

I can't wait to get it! My wife and I will be learning to ride on it. My hope is my wife loves riding and I can give the V8 to her and maybe get a KS-18s for myself. We'll see how that goes. :) 

Any tips or hints on learning how to ride an EUC would be appreciated.

- Allen

Patience and persistence! I started in a hallway.. I highly recommend that. 

Here is a training vid that I created:

All of us here on the forums are more than happy to help and answer any questions you may have. Full pads! Remember full pads!???

Keep in touch, let us know how it's going!

57 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

Patience and persistence! I started in a hallway.. I highly recommend that. 

Here is a training vid that I created:

All of us here on the forums are more than happy to help and answer any questions you may have. Full pads! Remember full pads!???

Keep in touch, let us know how it's going!

Regarding the duct tape. I recommend that people use Gaffers Tape or it's equivalent. 3M sells a low residue duct tape (available at Home Depot) that behaves very much like Gaffers Tape. It leaves zero residue for up to 6 months. It's much pricier that duct tape, but you get what you pay for. You can also buy it from Amazon if that's more convenient: Amazon Link

2 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Main this is to build up a little every day. If you rush you might fall and hurt ankle or knee. So build up. See the topic on learning. 

If you sprain something it will slow you down more than by doing a progressive lessons. 

I am probably being very foolish but for reasons I can't adequately enunciate I believe learning to ride an EUC is going to be easy-peasey for me. Now, I may be foolish but I'm not stupid; I am going to be careful, I am going to wear protective gear, and I am going to take it slowly. I just can't shake the feeling that this is going to be cake. :) 

8 minutes ago, AllenF said:

I am probably being very foolish but for reasons I can't adequately enunciate I believe learning to ride an EUC is going to be easy-peasey for me. Now, I may be foolish but I'm not stupid; I am going to be careful, I am going to wear protective gear, and I am going to take it slowly. I just can't shake the feeling that this is going to be cake. :) 

Ok!

but it won't. But maybe you are a prodigy.  If you rush it and gut sprained it will take longer. You brain need to learn a new way to control your leg to hip connection for balancing. The main learning point will be left to right balancing by controlling the hip pivoting tendencies. 

Next you must master mounting move forward a little, stop and dismount. This is the most important skill. Search the learning discussion me and many others have posted a complete set of learning an videos. Study many videos. Going forward straight is not very hard and not the most important. 

Learn to mount.

learn to stop.  

Learn to dismount. 

Learn to turn. 

13 minutes ago, AllenF said:

I hope your confidence is well-founded. But I have to say, that wasn't my experience.  I've been involved with various forms of athletics for several decades.  Running, cycling, skateboarding, kiteboarding, skydiving, martial arts, bodybuilding, etc.  Which gave me a false sense of confidence and led me to move too fast in my approach to EUC.  Riding a wheel is a whole different thing, and it's really not worth pushing the envelope too hard.  You rip the skin off your face, or fracture an arm, or slam the back of your head on the asphalt, that'll set you back.  Take your time.

3 minutes ago, radial said:

I hope your confidence is well-founded. But I have to say, that wasn't my experience.  I've been involved with various forms of athletics for several decades.  Running, cycling, skateboarding, kiteboarding, skydiving, martial arts, bodybuilding, etc.  Which gave me a false sense of confidence and led me to move too fast in my approach to EUC.  Riding a wheel is a whole different thing, and it's really not worth pushing the envelope too hard.  You rip the skin off your face, or fracture an arm, or slam the back of your head on the asphalt, that'll set you back.  Take your time.

Point well taken. 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:03 AM, AllenF said:

Cool, and thanks for welcoming me. I wonder which of us will receive our V8 first.

What, isn't everything a race? :)

- Allen

Well today is the day they are meant to have arrived. Hopefully we will see a shipping notice early next week unless customs holds things up.

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Well today is the day they are meant to have arrived. Hopefully we will see a shipping notice early next week unless customs holds things up.

Yep, Jason told me the same. My challenge is my wife and I will be traveling to Nicaragua on the 14th of July and will be away for about 2 weeks. I asked Jason to hold my wheel if he believes I won't receive it before the 14th until I return to the States, to which he has graciously agreed.

7 hours ago, AllenF said:

Yep, Jason told me the same. My challenge is my wife and I will be traveling to Nicaragua on the 14th of July and will be away for about 2 weeks. I asked Jason to hold my wheel if he believes I won't receive it before the 14th until I return to the States, to which he has graciously agreed.

I very much hope they arrive long before then!

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

I very much hope they arrive long before then!

Jason is out here (California) re-flashing the wheels this whole weekend. We were going to try a ride with him but his whole focus is on the wheels. So I suspect that he wants to work through the weekend so that he can ship them out Monday. Hopefully everyone will get their wheels next week, but of course I don't know his actual schedule of events.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason is out here (California) re-flashing the wheels this whole weekend. We were going to try a ride with him but his whole focus is on the wheels. So I suspect that he wants to work through the weekend so that he can ship them out Monday. Hopefully everyone will get their wheels next week, but of course I don't know his actual schedule of events.

Thanks for the info. I figured shipping would be some time mid to late this week to allow for unpacking the shipment and July 4th ok the middle (never have I NOT wanted a holiday so much :D). Monday would be awesome if it happened. He sure has his work cut out. At least the V8's only have to be shipped straight out the door. I hope Gotway are compensating him for all the extra work on those wheels.

16 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Thanks for the info. I figured shipping would be some time mid to late this week to allow for unpacking the shipment and July 4th ok the middle (never have I NOT wanted a holiday so much :D). Monday would be awesome if it happened. He sure has his work cut out. At least the V8's only have to be shipped straight out the door. I hope Gotway are compensating him for all the extra work on those wheels.

we expect full pics.....esp the new tire!

Hi Fellas, welcome to the gang!

You picked yourself a fine wheel to learn on for sure! To protect that nice glossy shell from scratches, I decided to keep that inmotion custom sleeping dress on it while riding.

V8-Cover-500x499.jpg.fb322e31da36eaafb2c0889f8e2efc9c.jpg

(I hope, @Jason McNeil doesn't mind me borrowing his picture for this post / https://www.ewheels.com/product/v8-protective-cover/).

It does a great job, at least with "gentle falls" - so far I could avoid really hard impacts. I'm sure the thick padding suggested by @GoinPostal can take more of a beating than this. Also: you'd need to put some vinyl or other padding to the pedals as those remain uncovered and scratch easily.

Not sure, if keeping the cover on may risk an overheating problem when used in Florida, but I'm pretty sure, it won't get too hot in New Joisee (lived near Morristown for a couple of years).  Added benefit: although not much, the cover adds a little bit of cushioning to the spots where your ankles and calfs meet the wheel (don't worry, you'll get some bruises anyway :P).

The inmotions have some nicely rounded pedals which reduce the chances of hurting yourself when stumbling off. Nevertheless, It's probably a good idea to wear something higher like basketball sneakers for your initial trials.

Cheers & have fun!

EDIT: in case you are tempted by the version of the cover with an attached bluetooth speaker: don't bother! It's lousy.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:11 AM, AllenF said:

Looks like you'll get yours after Nicaragua. Customs decided to poke around in the container. Delay of 7 to 10 days. :crying:

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Looks like you'll get yours after Nicaragua. Customs decided to poke around in the container. Delay of 7 to 10 days. :crying:

Well that sucks. :(

Oh well. On the bright side, my chances of becoming injured or maimed before my trip have just decreased substantially. :D

5 minutes ago, AllenF said:

On the bright side, my chances of becoming injured or maimed before my trip have just decreased substantially. :D

Every cloud has a silver lining. Not sure what mine is yet though! :huh:

@AllenF

FedEx just emailed me to say I had an incoming shipment being sent out tomorrow from a @Jason McNeil!

Nothing from the man himself yet but the FedEx notification would likely have been sent out by them the second he confirmed arranged shipping with them.

You may get your V8 it before your trip! 

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

@AllenF

FedEx just emailed me to say I had an incoming shipment being sent out tomorrow from a @Jason McNeil!

Nothing from the man himself yet but the FedEx notification would likely have been sent out by them the second he confirmed arranged shipping with them.

You may get your V8 it before your trip! 

I spoke with Jason on Friday and asked him to hold my wheel until I return to the States. I didn't want to chance it being delivered while I am away and have it sit on my porch for 2 weeks.

ETA: I'm too busy preparing for my trip at the moment anyway and wouldn't have time to ride even if I received it tomorrow.

7 hours ago, AllenF said:

I spoke with Jason on Friday and asked him to hold my wheel until I return to the States. I didn't want to chance it being delivered while I am away and have it sit on my porch for 2 weeks.

ETA: I'm too busy preparing for my trip at the moment anyway and wouldn't have time to ride even if I received it tomorrow.

Oh well. It'll give you a reason to be excited about coming home. Safe travels.

On 7/9/2017 at 9:58 PM, AllenF said:

I personally cannot wait to hear the stories and watch the vids of your new experience!  I hope it is as easy as you suspect it will be..  but honestly, I suspect otherwise. LOL!

What wheel did you purchase?

I found that's doing 30min sessions over a week was very beneficial in my learning process. Set small goals for yourself like learning to mount/dismount smoothly, learning to move in a path you want to go, wide turns, the doing a large "figure 8" then a smaller one. This would then be a good base for you to start exploring the use of the EUC for commuting 

Archived