Kingsong KS-16 VS Kingsong KS-16S

Noam Elad

On 7/9/2017 at 6:18 PM, Andrew87 said:

I've checked Kingsong's site to no avail.  Can anyone here tell me the dimensions of the 16s' pedals?  Just length and width.  Thanks.

Roughly 20.5cm x 12.5cm

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2017 at 6:11 PM, KingSong69 said:
On 28/06/2017 at 5:28 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

@KingSong69 can tell you which Aliexpress sellers are the best.

Kingsong have recently issued a resolution that none of the KS marked wheels (so basically none purchased at Ali from Europe) will be serviced and provided spare parts. Please, be careful with that. You have an excellent distributor of Kingsong brand in Germany, please talk to him instead so that you can be certain about the purchase.

3 hours ago, vladmarks said:

Kingsong have recently issued a resolution that none of the KS marked wheels (so basically none purchased at Ali from Europe) will be serviced and provided spare parts. Please, be careful with that. You have an excellent distributor of Kingsong brand in Germany, please talk to him instead so that you can be certain about the purchase.

Thats nothing new...

if you buy a wheel over aliexpress, you will NOT get any service from KS directly! thats KS region politics since 2 years!

So you have to stay on your chinese seller...to  provide spare parts and service. Thats part of the deal to pay much less! 

One could open up a credit card dispute if the seller is reticent, although the counter for that is the seller to simply create another account (or periodically pull up stakes as a matter of course).

The real problem comes from selling a fungible item at different costs throughout the world, depending on what you can get in each market. A lot of items marked refurbished aren't actually used or return but rather brand-new items at lower costs in order to capture the higher end and the lower end market. You can confirm this on some goods like Olympus cameras by looking at the low shutter count and and the feet of the camera which do not show even microscopic scratches.

Wheel dealers in the USA (and presumably Europe) are like Roman Republic tax collectors--they get a license to work and anything more they can squeeze out of you they get to keep. Wheel dealers have to put up the money and take the risk so of course the wheels cost more.

Presumably an ethical company with deep(er) pockets would simply hire a person to sell and service wheels in his geographical area. A less ethical dealer would simply pass laws preventing other sellers (manufacturer direct or Alibali) from selling anywhere near him. We see that in the automobile industry where dealers get together and make a fungible item...non-fungible by exclusion and hence competition.

I'm at loss how all contraints can be satisfied. Can't square the round hole...

--Manufacturers should support the products they make.

--Dealers should get paid fairly for the risk they take.

--Customers should expect the same level of service and price wherever and whatever they buy.

17 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Wheel dealers in the USA (and presumably Europe) are like Roman Republic tax collectors--they get a license to work and anything more they can squeeze out of you they get to keep. Wheel dealers have to put up the money and take the risk so of course the wheels cost more.

Harsh... I would disagree to some extent, but exclusivity rights are indeed a complex issue on many sides. Good things are the manufacturer gets enough cash straight away to keep working on new developments, whereas a local distributor is driven to the extremes to sell and popularise the product in a particular country. Bad things are obviously price dictation and lack of competition within the B2B sector. Keep in mind, though, that I am talking about the distributor in the chain. Not sure how would a dealer get exclusivity at the amount of units required to get this 'license'. All in all, the structure in Europe allows for countless dealers under one distributor, which doesn't cut down on retail competition and leaves some wiggle space for pricing. 

17 hours ago, LanghamP said:

--Customers should expect the same level of service and price wherever and whatever they buy.

Given that Aliexpress, Banggood and other APAC-based e-tailers are always in play, it's difficult to force these retailers to maintain the same high level of aftersales and service as local dealers. One issue is that they don't account for warranty provision while pricing their products; us in the UK account for at least 10% of the markup to go towards warranty provision pool. That's all you get shopping with a responsible dealer - reverse collections, repairs, human hours for the duration of the warranty. Among others - proximity to the end customer, parts availability, platform's trading standards and e-tailer's reputation. If there ever will be a dealer on Aliexpress that could come close to the level of local dealer's dedication, i'll quit my EUC business and go nomading across Europe.

Archived