Darnit, my first faceplant and ground hit.

LanghamP

17-19 mph overlean on my KS14C, as I went up a steeper part of the hill.

Went tumbling, scrapped up a knee and an elbow, minorly, and was up instantly. No bruises, some blood from the scrapped skin, I probably could have gotten away entirely unscathed if I just remembered to hit the ground entirely running. That should be instinctive.

So there is road rash, minor road rash to be sure, but two rassberries nevertheless.

Basically I think 17-19 mph crash is doable but sketchy. 

Lessons learned: be mindful of the slope even if you're riding not riding the 3rd of 3 beeps.

glad you made it out with minor road rash? so, this overlean - does that mean the wheel cut out? or it just kind of dumps you off without shutting down?

12 minutes ago, kour said:

glad you made it out with minor road rash? so, this overlean - does that mean the wheel cut out? or it just kind of dumps you off without shutting down?

It never shut off, just asked too much from the wheel.

Welcome to the club. It's taken me a few weeks to get back to regular riding but I finally felt comfortable today on my 14C. Glad you didn't get too banged up. I've been cruising closer to 12-15 mph and I keep replaying my cutout trying to figure out if I could run it out at that speed. I crashed at a similar speed to you 17+ and I don't think running it out was an option. I hope your wheel is ok, mine crapped out after my crash and required a new board. Again, glad you are ok! :thumbup:

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Went tumbling, scrapped up a knee and an elbow, minorly, and was up instantly. No bruises, some blood from the scrapped skin, I probably could have gotten away entirely unscathed if I just remembered to hit the ground entirely running. That should be instinctive.

So there is road rash, minor road rash to be sure, but two rassberries nevertheless.

Lessons learned: be mindful of the slope even if you're riding not riding the 3rd of 3 beeps.

Welcome to the club ;)  Yeah, I'd be cautious about pushing those kind of speeds on the KS14C while going up hill. It just doesn't have much power reserve.

Although my KS14C will go 19mph, it always feels a little scary to me at those speeds. 

Glad know real damage was done  

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Good that you are OK!!!!

to your sentence above: that's only "doable" if foreseeable! If your wheel would have cutout....no chance of not smashing on the Ground!

enough Witnesses here ;-) @Marty Backe , Me.....

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Any chance a little more info as I also ride a KS14C?

Battery size? charge level?

Grade of "steeper part of hill"?

Your weight?

Your speed beep and tilt back settings?

Firmware version?

I will say again that I have NEVER had a cut out on mine even V1 axle and mother board and now v2 new axle and mother board.

I ride "faster" almost everyday and also climb hills at speed so this info is valuable for me and maybe others please!

ukj

Glad you're okay.  Sounds like the wheel is okay too, or most people anyway probably would have mentioned it if it wasn't.

Learning lessons often sux but it sounds like you didn't pay too high a price.  Anytime that happens, we might as well count it as a win.

I also go 19mph (30km/h) regularly. Few times I also went  as fast as 22 mph but that was on flat smooth road. No cut outs so far. I once fell at around 18 mph because I hit a bump (root growing under concrete) and it threw me in air - no cut out and zero chance of running that out.

KS14C both older and newer version of motor and board

6 hours ago, UKJ said:

Any chance a little more info as I also ride a KS14C?

Battery size? charge level?

Grade of "steeper part of hill"?

Your weight?

Your speed beep and tilt back settings?

It's the 850 version, and the battery was probably around 75-80%. I set the 1st beep to 24 km/h, 2nd to 26, and 3rd to 28, along with the tilt-back to 28 km/h.

I weigh about 100 kg. However, the reason I crashed was because I was asking for it, looking for trouble, rather than a problem with the wheel.

1. I had just driven my Gotway MSuper 3s from work to home so my speed sense was not adjusted.

2. I had minorly tweaked my back practicing variations of the deadlift which made me much less agile (on 50 pounds no less, who ever heard of a guy tweaking his back on 50 pounds?), and so I was standing with knees straight and erect instead of my usual spring position.

3. I was wearing sneakers instead of boots because I was going to meet up with other runners for a six mile run. This actually made it hard to ride as I was wobbly, and was concentrating more on staying on the EUC. Thick foamy soles I find difficult to ride with.

4. I was passing a very slow bicyclist. I do not usually pass bicyclist, but in this case I was trying to pass him and get back in my lane before other bicyclist came down the hill. Not really sure this is all that important as I had passed him some time back, but I probably did not slow back down as much as I should have.

5. Slight increase in incline.

I make the crash sound worse than it was. I tipped forward, shoulder rolled but still scrapped up my knee and elbow, and then ran off the rest of the excess energy. The wheel just kinda wobbled back and forth, then tipped over. I probably could have caught it if I had just stuck out my hand as I was still trotting forward.

I would say the biggest factor to the crash was not having bent knees. Basically the wheel got stuck behind me on the incline, and by the time it was caught up I was bailing.

However, there were also a bunch of factors that lead to that.

Interestingly, I turned on wheel log and looked at the wattage on my way to work. I didn't drive differently, maybe a tad more cautious.

On take offs I'm at around 350 watts.

On straights and levels I'm between 20-40 watts, and do not exceed 40 watts.

On even modest hills I am exceeding 800 watts for lengths of time, regardless of my speed. This puzzles me as even going slow I'm hitting over 800 watts, if I go fast I'm still over 800 watts.

24 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I make the crash sound worse than it was. I tipped forward, shoulder rolled but still scrapped up my knee and elbow, and then ran off the rest of the excess energy. The wheel just kinda wobbled back and forth, then tipped over. I probably could have caught it if I had just stuck out my hand as I was still trotting forward.

I would say the biggest factor to the crash was not having bent knees. Basically the wheel got stuck behind me on the incline, and by the time it was caught up I was bailing.

This doesn't sound like a "cut out", is that true?  You just over leaned to the point where you fell off the wheel forward?  If so, then I agree with your conclusion that it may have been avoidable...no less frustrating I'm sure, but in my case the wheel simply shut down (cut out, I guess it's called) due to asking for more power than the wheel could provide...?  Needless to say, I think that your wheel sounds like it's still rock solid in terms of the hardware, which i think is most of the fellow KS-14C riders' concern...When I first got my 14C I didn't like the way the pedals were calibrating and since it felt like it had so much play in how far forward I could lean while accelerating I gave it a more pronounced backward tilt to avoid the type of problem it sounds like you had.  Particularly on turns where the wheel inherently tips forward.  Not sure if giving it a slight tilt back for pedal calibration would be helpful, but just a thought.  Good luck, sounds like you had quick a little ninja move where you rolled and popped up! :ph34r: 

24 minutes ago, Maximus said:

This doesn't sound like a "cut out", is that true?  You just over leaned to the point where you fell off the wheel forward?  If so, then I agree with your conclusion that it may have been avoidable...no less frustrating I'm sure, but in my case the wheel simply shut down (cut out, I guess it's called) due to asking for more power than the wheel could provide...?  Needless to say, I think that your wheel sounds like it's still rock solid in terms of the hardware, which i think is most of the fellow KS-14C riders' concern...When I first got my 14C I didn't like the way the pedals were calibrating and since it felt like it had so much play in how far forward I could lean while accelerating I gave it a more pronounced backward tilt to avoid the type of problem it sounds like you had.  Particularly on turns where the wheel inherently tips forward.  Not sure if giving it a slight tilt back for pedal calibration would be helpful, but just a thought.  Good luck, sounds like you had quick a little ninja move where you rolled and popped up! :ph34r: 

No no, the wheel did not cut out. I actually think if the wheel doesn't cut out then your injuries can be mitigated as you still have a solid platform to jump off.

Too be clear, this was at a two beep (26 km/h) crash.

I've never had a cut out; I would think a cut out is really really bad. Possibly the worst thing that can happen. I would think your feet go backwards and before you can react at all your face hits the ground. You might be able to put your hands out.

In contrast this was more like...

"Whoa, I'm too far forward, looking down I see that ridge, I'm feeling the wheel rise and fall behind me but I can save it, yes I can, I'm kinda balancing, nope I can't save it, I'm bailing, little jump there, can we handspring it, nope too fast, I'll just shoulder roll it, damn that scrapped knee hurts, I'm back up and trotting, uhhh...why didn't I just stick my hand out and catch the wheel, I mean if the wheel doesn't hit the ground technically it's not a crash yes?"

I wasn't bothered or excited by the crash at all, mostly because I had imagined it so many times so when the actual crash occured it felt familiar

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

"Whoa, I'm too far forward, looking down I see that ridge, I'm feeling the wheel rise and fall behind me but I can save it, yes I can, I'm kinda balancing, nope I can't save it, I'm bailing, little jump there, can we handspring it, nope too fast, I'll just shoulder roll it, damn that scrapped knee hurts, I'm back up and trotting, uhhh...why didn't I just stick my hand out and catch the wheel, I mean if the wheel doesn't hit the ground technically it's not a crash yes?"

hahaha, that was awesome!

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I tipped forward, shoulder rolled but still scrapped up my knee and elbow, and then ran off the rest of the excess energy. The wheel just kinda wobbled back and forth, then tipped over. I probably could have caught it if I had just stuck out my hand as I was still trotting forward.

dude wth?! you shoulder-rolled into a run?! you're like a ninja!

4 hours ago, kour said:

dude wth?! you shoulder-rolled into a run?! you're like a ninja!

I have lots of experience falling off things in my (lighter) youth. ;)

I feel I should scuff up my pristine skateboard helmet so I look gnarly.

I used Wheellog and went over the same place this time without crashing and slightly lower.

Basically, I fell because I didn't compensate for the sudden increase in slope which caused the wheel to fall behind. Wheellog shows the wattage never exceeds 600 @ 15 mph, so the wheel has plenty of reserve power and speed.

It feels like the wheel gets caught on sticky gum and falls behind, so I just needed to lean it more forward.

Archived