New brands every day? new subforum for "Brand Specific Forum"?

Bwuce Wee

Hi, 

I'm new to the forums, want to buy my first unicycle but i like doing research and reading reviews, might just be me.

I noticed the Brand specific-forums and i think there should be an extra "brand", namely "OEM and fairly NEW brands".

I keep seeing new "brands" that seem to want to branch out and are taking it quite serious, but it's so hard to find a review or what not for them. For example http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/suoku-x7-264wh-electric-unicycle-blue.html , Suoku, can hardly find anything about that brand, for a new person like myself, i'm actually quite interested in ordering one of these.  Also other brands like TeamGee are growing really fast.  Surely some of the current "big" brands started out fairly small.  Didn't IPS have exploding unicycles before and aren't they now known for building good quality and safe units?  

I would LOVE to see reviews or opinions on such "cheap" brands, maybe there are hidden gems in there?   Surely not EVERY new brand must make those "dangerous" wheels.  I'm considering the cheaper brands because i have a feeling i'll enjoy the riding a lot and after that my wife and kids will too, i can't buy Ninebots or more expensive wheels for my whole family  :)

For myself, i am a heavy guy, 1m80 and 90-95kg.  So i think a 16 inch is a must and i take it 264wh will be the minimum.  Other than that, many generic brands look alike and it's very confusing.  the Suoku x7 had caught my eyes, of course i only see specifications and i don't even know the max W of the engine. 

We live in Belgium, so i'm also a bit scared to order from China, i've ordered plenty of things from Aliexpress before, but never things this big/heavy/expensive (tablet was most expensive and they labelled it as "digital photo frame" for customs.  

I'd like to thank the community so far, i've read loads of good articles and reviews, keep up the good work!

Bwuce Wee

All other brands go in "General Discussion".  Reviews for all brands go in "Reviews & Impressions" regardless.  If and when a "small brand" becomes big we can always create another sub-forum in "Brand-Specific Forums".

Okay thanks for the answer.

Nobody  who had any experience with Suoku? :)  I almost feel like reviewing them myself

Bwuce Wee

Do a search within the forum for both these terms separately:

suoku
suokuwheel

You will find quite a few posts about them.  Alternatively you can click these links:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/search/?q=suoku

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/search/?q=suokuwheel

There are a lot of different low-priced brands out there. If you're going to get a cheap one, just know the risks and limitations. Look for something with the round Ninebot-style design, not the old style Airwheel shape.

Then can't install a trolley easily.

I would LOVE to see reviews or opinions on such "cheap" brands, maybe there are hidden gems in there?   Surely not EVERY new brand must make those "dangerous" wheels.

The problem with reviewing the no-name or made-up brands is that there is no guarantee that two EUCs that look alike will actually have the same batteries, controller boards, or motor. I am pretty sure all the components are available separately in China so someone might put together a wheel that looks a lot like a Ninebot for example, but it has a really substandard battery pack.

I can say that I liked my no-name wheel that I bought for $300 back in December, from a seller on AliExpress that doesn't exist anymore. You can see it here. I have no idea whether similar-looking wheels like this one are the same wheel. They're the same on the outside but more expensive, maybe they have a better battery? Who knows. It's really about whether you want to gamble and save a few hundred bucks, and whether the wheel you buy will be good enough for your long-term needs. I was fine with the learner-wheel and then i bought an expert-wheel.

How old/big are your kids? If they are still small and don't weigh much then the cheap low powered wheels will probably be OK for them. They could still have reliability problems but the speeds will be slow and unlikely to be too injurious.

Thanks for the responses guys,

@Gimlet: my kids are 4 and 6, so for them i thought the cheaper ones would do, as they would be for playing or maybe even going to school maximum (2km)   Not that i want to put my kids at risk of course.

@KaleOsaurusRex :  you said i should look for models that look like the Ninebot, is this so they have a higher chance of having newer motherboard/batteries?

@dmethvin : Thanks for that link, it's a good tutorial for changing tyres.  Also glad to see someone liked his generic EUC.  Mostly hear bad things about it.

I just find it hard to believe that ALL these generics or less known brands are bad.  For myself, like i said, i'm a bit heavier and want a slightly better one, and was looking at http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/suoku-x7-264wh-electric-unicycle-white.html  which appear to be all out of stock now (the 264wh version).  Maybe i got lucky and someone on this forum got one!  I did see the post from the Suokuwheel representative but he seems to have disappeared and there were some issues with the language barrier.

I'm considering an IPS 132 or 122 'ish something, and the Ninebot E, but with the price of those i could buy 1 to 3 generic ones which we can all ride together and have fun with you see.

Bwuce Wee

I am a big guy, 6'1" and 220 lbs. The generic TG-F3 has been a good wheel for learning. It would have good but slow performance for a smaller person. I have just orderd a ninebot from electricunicyclereviews.com, great price. He has a better entry level wheel also. You will need to find the best seller for your part of the world.

thanks

they only seem to be selling the ninebot one here in europe, hard to come by others

"Here in Europe" you can actually get lots of other wheels too, not necessarily from you exact country, but within the EU trade agreement zone (or whatever it's officially called), see per-country -lists of shops and available brands here:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/458-where-to-buy-incomplete-reseller-list/

The lists are far from exhaustive, there are probably lots of more shops that I simply haven't found.

@Bwuce Wee

Hey mr Wee!

I recommend the round style because it is easier on the ankles; fewer bruises. I would say, any low priced uni probably isn't going to be the best quality on the inside. However, I think it might be logical to say the older look might be correlated older style electronics.'

I would love to see someone dissect a Huanxi H1, and examine the electronics inside. Someone who's interested and has the right skills/knowledge should message me about partnering on and publicizing such a project.

On the Suoku discussion, there is now a nice set of questions posted in Mandarin Chinese, and still no answers :(. I imagine there's just fear that their present stock with a dangerous unacknowledged design flaw won't sell. I think he's right.

Archived