Yet Another First EUC question

HeavyGoing

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site but am looking for my first EUC.  Well,  probably two since my son is interested as well.  I am looking at the IPS Lhotz and the Gotway SuperM.  I live in Socal but in a very hilly area.  To add insult to injury I am 6'2" 250lbs.  This wheel is going to need a bit of power to move me around.  I would like to use it for pleasure and to commute about 18 miles to work and back.  While the SuperM feels right for the long term, I wonder if it is just a bit too much to learn on.  If it is any help I used to unicycle but I am not totally sure that the skills transfer.

Any input would be appreciated.  And like they used say keep the rubber side down.

John

I wouldn't worry about getting too nice of a wheel to start. As long as you pad it up enough you should be able to limit scratches and damage a bit while you learn. During the learning process you don't tend to go too fast which limits the big falls which tend to cause more wheel damage. The M Super seems like a good choice for your weight and the larger wheel size may make learning a little easier. I don't have any experience with the gotway wheels so I can't speak from experience but for your son I'd recommend one wheel, the inmotion v5f or v5f+. My son has a v5f and he loves it. I'd also recommend purchasing from @Jason McNeil and his ewheels.com store.  Read as many posts as you can regarding Jason and his service, you won't find better support during and after your purchase. Good luck!

The ACM may be better to start on and use for the hills that you are talking about.  @Marty Backe could probably steer you in the correct direction between the 2 since he has both. 

Another EUC to think about for you is the King Song KS16S.  However, they are a little hard to get at the present. 

As was mentioned earlier. @Jason McNeil is a great person to purchase an EUC from and can be very helpful in suggesting the best wheel for you.  

Allen

Thanks Maximus,

I forgot to mention that my son is 6' 170 and a senior in high school.  He is thinking about using it on campus next year at university.   I will check out the inmotions.  I have not really seen them so much on Youtube.  ( I have clocked in far too many hours watching EUCs on Youtube. )   He will need one that is not to obtrusive while he is in class.   I am not really to sure how unis view EUCs.

55 minutes ago, HeavyGoing said:

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site but am looking for my first EUC.  Well,  probably two since my son is interested as well.  I am looking at the IPS Lhotz and the Gotway SuperM.  I live in Socal but in a very hilly area.  To add insult to injury I am 6'2" 250lbs.  This wheel is going to need a bit of power to move me around.  I would like to use it for pleasure and to commute about 18 miles to work and back.  While the SuperM feels right for the long term, I wonder if it is just a bit too much to learn on.  If it is any help I used to unicycle but I am not totally sure that the skills transfer.

Any input would be appreciated.  And like they used say keep the rubber side down.

John

Welcome to the club :cheers:  Be sure to keep an eye on the Local Groups forum. We have periodic group rides in Southern California, one this Saturday morning.

Frankly, I think the MSuper V3s (or V3s+) is probably the best wheel for someone of your stature. You are on the heavy side and will therefore need a powerful wheel for that kind of commute (is the 18 miles roundtrip?). And it's my personal opinion that the MSuper would be the easiest wheel to learn on (regardless of your size or weight). It's much more stable than smaller diameter wheels.

Ultimately the Monster might be a great wheel for you, but not for learning. It's not a beginner wheel, but it's a fantastic commuter wheel with exceptional range and comfort.

We have empirical proof that unicycle riders pick up the EUC riding skills extremely fast. Unfortunately we also know that EUC skills do not translate to unicycle riding :(

7 minutes ago, HeavyGoing said:

Thanks Maximus,

I forgot to mention that my son is 6' 170 and a senior in high school.  He is thinking about using it on campus next year at university.   I will check out the inmotions.  I have not really seen them so much on Youtube.  ( I have clocked in far too many hours watching EUCs on Youtube. )   He will need one that is not to obtrusive while he is in class.   I am not really to sure how unis view EUCs.

Inmotions are nice wheels but they don't have the range that you're looking for at your weight. 

However, for your son on the campus they would be okay. 

Allen

I've talked about this a lot with a lot of people here, as well as with Jason, who I finally ordered my wheel from.  I was in the same situation as you ... lots of steep hills around me and I'm over 200 pounds.  So I had to get a big machine if I wanted to be safe, as well as have enough power, range, and battery reserve for difficult situations and all those hills.

I narrowed my choices down to the Kingsong 18 and three Gotway models, the latest versions of the MSuper V3, the ACM, and the Monster.  All have good batteries and the ability to carry a heavy load.  All have plenty of fans and good reviews.  I e-mailed Jason at ewheels.com and talked things over with him, eventually deciding to get the most powerful version of the MSuper.

I would have been quite happy to get something smaller(and cheaper!!!), but the smaller ones are much better for smaller people.  Even their pedals are sometimes smaller.

Whatever model you get, it seems good logic to me that a heavier guy who lives around hills should get as much power as possible.  Power counts for a lot, but especially for a bigger guy, it adds safety.  That's very important to me.  So if I were you, I would get the biggest motor and battery that your model choice offers.

1 hour ago, HeavyGoing said:

If it is any help I used to unicycle but I am not totally sure that the skills transfer.

The skills do indeed transfer, and made learning to ride my 9bot 1 a snap. I was riding in less than a half hour (spread out over 2 or 3 short practice sessions).

Just out of curiosity, you use very European phraseology like "at university" and "uni." Have you made your way from across the pond?

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Welcome to the club :cheers:  Be sure to keep an eye on the Local Groups forum. We have periodic group rides in Southern California, one this Saturday morning.

Frankly, I think the MSuper V3s (or V3s+) is probably the best wheel for someone of your stature. You are on the heavy side and will therefore need a powerful wheel for that kind of commute (is the 18 miles roundtrip?). And it's my personal opinion that the MSuper would be the easiest wheel to learn on (regardless of your size or weight). It's much more stable than smaller diameter wheels.

Ultimately the Monster might be a great wheel for you, but not for learning. It's not a beginner wheel, but it's a fantastic commuter wheel with exceptional range and comfort.

We have empirical proof that unicycle riders pick up the EUC riding skills extremely fast. Unfortunately we also know that EUC skills do not translate to unicycle riding :(

Thanks Marty.  We will certainly check out the group rides once we actually have wheels.  You are singing the siren's song to me about the Monster and the MSuper.  They certainly seem to be in my wheelhouse.  I was a bit worried that the 18" wheel might be too large to learn on.    My commute is 18 miles round trip so I would be able to charge it for at least 8 hours at work.  I am really more concerned about tork going up hills than I am about speed. 

btw.  Quite kind of you to say some one of my stature rather than someone of my girth! :-)

14 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

The skills do indeed transfer, and made learning to ride my 9bot 1 a snap. I was riding in less than a half hour (spread out over 2 or 3 short practice sessions).

Just out of curiosity, you use very European phraseology like "at university" and "uni." Have you made your way from across the pond?

That is good dbfrese, since it is hard to teach some of old dogs new tricks. 

I was born in San Diego but live in Riverside California right now. But I went to school in the EU and work for a UK company so my language gets a bit mixed up. 

23 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I've talked about this a lot with a lot of people here, as well as with Jason, who I finally ordered my wheel from.  I was in the same situation as you ... lots of steep hills around me and I'm over 200 pounds.  So I had to get a big machine if I wanted to be safe, have enough power, range, and battery reserve for difficult situations and all those hills.

I narrowed my choices down to the Kingsong 18 and three Gotway models, the latest versions of the MSuper V3, the ACM, and the Monster.  All have good batteries and the ability to carry a heavy load.  All have plenty of fans and good reviews.  I e-mailed Jason at ewheels.com and talked things over with him, eventually deciding to get the most powerful version of the MSuper.

I would have been quite happy to get something smaller(and cheaper!!!), but the smaller ones are much better for smaller people.  Even their pedals are sometimes smaller.

Whatever model you get, it seems good logic to me that a heavier guy who lives around hills should get as much power as possible.  Power counts for a lot, but especially for a bigger guy, it adds safety.  That's very important to me.

Hi Dinfelder,

That is really interesting.  I had not thought of the safety aspect.  Actually, I was worried that the heavier wheel would be a greater risk of injury.   I guess that is why it is always good to ask.

Thanks,

John

36 minutes ago, HeavyGoing said:

Thanks Marty.  We will certainly check out the group rides once we actually have wheels.  You are singing the siren's song to me about the Monster and the MSuper.  They certainly seem to be in my wheelhouse.  I was a bit worried that the 18" wheel might be too large to learn on.    My commute is 18 miles round trip so I would be able to charge it for at least 8 hours at work.  I am really more concerned about tork going up hills than I am about speed. 

btw.  Quite kind of you to say some one of my stature rather than someone of my girth! :-)

If you feel like taking a trip to LA County you could try your hand on my MSuper. With your Unicycle skills you could probably start getting a feel for it within an ~hour visit. Although you most likely could not ride my Monster, you could size it up in person which may help you.

I'm selling my MSuper V3, so if you catch on fast and want to try the used route first.... ;)  But that's not why I'm recommending the MSuper. I honestly think it's the best wheel for your criteria.

Anything I can do to promote new EUC riders :)

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you feel like taking a trip to LA County you could try your hand on my MSuper. With your Unicycle skills you could probably start getting a feel for it within an ~hour visit. Although you most likely could not ride my Monster, you could size it up in person which may help you.

I'm selling my MSuper V3, so if you catch on fast and want to try the used route first.... ;)  But that's not why I'm recommending the MSuper. I honestly think it's the best wheel for your criteria.

Anything I can do to promote new EUC riders :)

That is a kind offer I cannot refuse.  The only thing is I will not be able to do that until Friday unless you happen to be in Pasadena.  I have some seminars in Pasadena tomorrow Thursday.   As for the Monster,  I would not even dream of trying that at this point.  I imagine there is a reason it is called a "Monster!"

That is a kind offer I cannot refuse.  The only thing is I will not be able to do that until Friday unless you happen to be in Pasadena.  I have some seminars in Pasadena tomorrow Thursday.   As for the Monster,  I would not even dream of trying that at this point.  I imagine there is a reason it is called a "Monster!"

I'm on stay-cation starting Friday, and that day would probably be a good day. I live about 10 miles south of Pasadena. Send me a private message and we can arrange a mutual time.

You have to agree to let me video our encounter. People here would enjoying seeing someone introduced to the EUC, and to see first hand how a unicycle rider takes to an EUC.

I'm joking of course. You don't have to be on video, but if you are game then I'd love to :)

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

People here would enjoying seeing someone introduced to the EUC, and to see first hand how a unicycle rider takes to an EUC.

If it's not on video, it didn't happen! :popcorn:

Just now, Steve Persona said:

Go with the Msuper . The monster does not have as much torque and takes more work to climb the big hills , but eats up flat ground for lunch

I concure. @Marty Backe's Msuper is a good deal.I bought his first ACM which later became the "world famous ACM2040" and has been a great wheel.Plus it comes with his custom Gotway stenciling just like on his helmut in his avatar.Always good to have the blessings of the "Gotway Gods".:D

7 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

If it's not on video, it didn't happen! :popcorn:

That might be a good thing.  Given my natural athletic talent,  I am most likely to look like a monkey on a football.  It is not a pretty thing to see an eighth of a ton hit the pavement.

When my kids were skateboarding I tried "dropping in" to one of those bowls.   I rode down on the back two wheels and hit hard.  The whole park got kinda quiet.  Like is that old codger still alive?

52 minutes ago, jrkline said:

I concure. @Marty Backe's Msuper is a good deal.I bought his first ACM which later became the "world famous ACM2040" and has been a great wheel.Plus it comes with his custom Gotway stenciling just like on his helmut in his avatar.Always good to have the blessings of the "Gotway Gods".:D

You always crack me up Jeff :)

S A N had a fun to watch series of videos, learning to ride the EUC: https://www.youtube.com/user/grimfic/videos

In his last video there's a section where he lets a unicyclist friend try his EUC. Great stuff. The video below starts at the unicycle section.

On 5/23/2017 at 10:47 PM, HeavyGoing said:

That might be a good thing.  Given my natural athletic talent,  I am most likely to look like a monkey on a football.  It is not a pretty thing to see an eighth of a ton hit the pavement.

When my kids were skateboarding I tried "dropping in" to one of those bowls.   I rode down on the back two wheels and hit hard.  The whole park got kinda quiet.  Like is that old codger still alive?

Well Marty,  It look like I owe an apology to all football riding monkeys. Thanks again for the demo and lessons and, of course,  the MSuper.   I did not get a chance to try it much yesterday but i did show it to my son.  He was literally riding in less than 10 minutes!   After a half an hour he is mounting and dismounting like he was born to it.

Things are going a bit more slowly for me.  Still need a lamp-post or something to mount and dismounting seem to be providing scratches to me and the wheel but it is a blast when I am going. !  Oh, did I mention I am actually going now? Longest ride to date 20 min.  I ran a circuit in and out of the local elementary school parking lot.  So as of 5/28, I can straights and U turns. 

It will only get better from here!

That's pretty cool that you can use the parking lots.  I watch videos from Dufisthenics (sp?) in Florida and some random people elsewhere showing people going in and out of school parking lots.  You could do that .. sometimes ... when I was a kid 40 years ago.  

But by now, I'm much more used to seeing schools with fences around them and a generally off-limits attitude toward schools unless you're a parent engaged in picking up or dropping off a child or, if you sign in at the office, other approved events and activities.

Well Marty,  It look like I owe an apology to all football riding monkeys. Thanks again for the demo and lessons and, of course,  the MSuper.   I did not get a chance to try it much yesterday but i did show it to my son.  He was literally riding in less than 10 minutes!   After a half an hour he is mounting and dismounting like he was born to it.

Things are going a bit more slowly for me.  Still need a lamp-post or something to mount and dismounting seem to be providing scratches to me and the wheel but it is a blast when I am going. !  Oh, did I mention I am actually going now? Longest ride to date 20 min.  I ran a circuit in and out of the local elementary school parking lot.  So as of 5/28, I can straights and U turns. 

It will only get better from here!

Very cool. Thanks for letting me know that it's proceeding nicely. And congrat's with regards to your son. Youth has its advantages ;)

It's just going to get better and better. You'll be joining some group rides by mid-summer :)

Actually we were surprised to find that the school itself was fenced in.  I had not been there in an decade  and had the plan to go along the wall of the handball court.   It worked out though since it probably forced me to let go and lean forward.   My son kept saying "you have to feel the need for speed."  He was so right once I let it speed up it was so much easier to ride.

I see you are going for a MSuper as your first as well.  I have to say so far it seems like a great machine!

Archived