Yet Another First EUC question

HeavyGoing

57 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

<snip>

But by now, I'm much more used to seeing schools with fences around them and a generally off-limits attitude toward schools unless you're a parent engaged in picking up or dropping off a child or, if you sign in at the office, other approved events and activities.

Yeah, in California all the schools look like prisons. High fences everywhere and all the gates locked. Depressing if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, HeavyGoing said:

Actually we were surprised to find that the school itself was fenced in.  I had not been there in an decade  and had the plan to go along the wall of the handball court.   It worked out though since it probably forced me to let go and lean forward.   My son kept saying "you have to feel the need for speed."  He was so right once I let it speed up it was so much easier to ride.

I see you are going for a MSuper as your first as well.  I have to say so far it seems like a great machine!

I'm glad!  I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm glad you like yours too!  Seems like it will be a great machine.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very cool. Thanks for letting me know that's proceeding nicely. And congrat's with regards to your son. Youth has its advantages ;)

It's just going to get better and better. You'll be joining some group rides by mid-summer :)

Yeah, he was feeling pretty full of himself - showing up the old man and all.  I of course carefully hid my pride. 

I look forward to those group rides!

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, in California all the schools look like prisons. High fences everywhere and all the gates locked. Depressing if you ask me.

Yeah. You're made to pay for schools whether you have kids or not, but you're not allowed to use them even when they're empty.  Maybe that gripe is unfair somehow, but it feels legit regardless.  I guess it's just a world now where the presupposition is not that you're a free citizen so much as that you're always a threat.

1 minute ago, HeavyGoing said:

Yeah, he was feeling pretty full of himself - showing up the old man and all.  I of course carefully hid my pride. 

I look forward to those group rides!

The student outdoing the master or the son outdoing the father is the best part! :)

Hi Guys,

Well, it has been a week since I first joined and posted here about what EUC to get and I can't believe how fast everything is moving.  I  am now the proud owner of an MSuper and riding around!   Even better, this evening for the first time, I was able to mount successfully without hanging off a lamppost.  Far from 100% of the time but I am pretty excited about the progress.  The MSuper seems the perfect wheel for me.  I know I am not pushing it but I am happy that it feels no strain as I glide around.

I must say to anyone else that is on the fence about trying an electric uni -  go for it!  You will find yourself grinning from ear to ear.

I believe it and hope to share that joy soon.  I often have a pretty matter-of-fact face, but find myself smiling all the time when watching EUC videos.  Can't wait to see what it's like in real life.

Glad you're enjoying yourself!  Share some pictures sometime of your route or whatever.  It's always fun to see what others are doing.

5 hours ago, HeavyGoing said:

Hi Guys,

Well, it has been a week since I first joined and posted here about what EUC to get and I can't believe how fast everything is moving.  I  am now the proud owner of an MSuper and riding around!   Even better, this evening for the first time, I was able to mount successfully without hanging off a lamppost.  Far from 100% of the time but I am pretty excited about the progress.  The MSuper seems the perfect wheel for me.  I know I am not pushing it but I am happy that it feels no strain as I glide around.

I must say to anyone else that is on the fence about trying an electric uni -  go for it!  You will find yourself grinning from ear to ear.

Glad that you're progressing so well. Successful free mounting is a milestone that leads to lots more fun. :cheers:

4 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I believe it and hope to share that joy soon.  I often have a pretty matter-of-fact face, but find myself smiling all the time when watching EUC videos.  Can't wait to see what it's like in real life.

Just a reminder to all new riders that no matter how quick or slow someone else learns that it is no indication of how quickly or slowly you will learn.  For example, I tried a KS-14C last night, which is completely different from the two inmotion wheels that I have (V5F and V8) and it literally felt like I was starting over.  The weight of the wheel was different, the distribution of the weight, the padding of the wheel, the size of the foot pedals, the grip of the foot pedals, the pressure of the wheel against my calves, the responsiveness of the acceleration/deceleration, the cushion/spring of the pedals, should I go on...?  My only point is that we all have anticipation, whether it is for our very first wheel or our tenth wheel and more than likely there will be some kind of let down :huh:.  No matter how much preparation or research we've done, the reality of a wheel and how hard it might be to master its subtleties, may still surprise you.  Good luck and no matter what, don't give up...the one sure thing is that it's always worth it in the end once you "get it"!

On 5/29/2017 at 1:26 AM, Dingfelder said:

But by now, I'm much more used to seeing schools with fences around them and a generally off-limits attitude toward schools unless you're a parent engaged in picking up or dropping off a child or, if you sign in at the office, other approved events and activities.

In Duf's videos and some of the others I've seen with people riding around schools, it usually looks to me like they are riding when school is not in session.

13 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

In Duf's videos and some of the others I've seen with people riding around schools, it usually looks to me like they are riding when school is not in session.

Yes, but apparently where @Duf lives schools are not miniature prisons. Every school in Southern California that I've seen is fenced off with locked gates. You can't even get into many of the parking lots. The track? Forget about it.

In many cities and towns, suitable public areas like parks are few and far between.  It would be nice to be able to use a school then.  

I'd love to be able to use a nice long fence to practice along, for instance, or some kind of railing. Neither where I live nor any of my friends or neighbors homes have anything of the sort. 

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I bet you can ride around at schools in Oregon just like Washington, Ding.

I went through Oregon's Master Gardener program, and as part of it we needed to do volunteer hours.  Going to elementary schools to start/maintain school gardens was a popular way to get some of those hours in.

We had to go to the front desk, tell them who we were, sign in, and get a badge.  Every single time.

There may be other schools/counties that do it differently.  But in my experience so far, from the half dozen elementary schools I visited, you had to be either with authorized personnel to be in a school or be authorized personnel yourself.

That said ... lots of Oregon towns don't spend a lot of money on personnel or maintenance.  I would go do gardening duties on Saturdays and the place was deserted, no security guards.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable "sneaking in" these days when I'm no longer authorized.  Everybody's so serious these days, I worry that I might face a hefty fine instead of just a "Hey, get the hell outta here!" like i used to get way way way back in the day when I was a teenager.

On 5/31/2017 at 9:35 PM, Marty Backe said:

Yes, but apparently where @Duf lives schools are not miniature prisons. Every school in Southern California that I've seen is fenced off with locked gates. You can't even get into many of the parking lots. The track? Forget about it.

Yep I am there when school is out of session so I don't ruffle any feathers. 

On 6/2/2017 at 0:20 AM, Dingfelder said:

I went through Oregon's Master Gardener program, and as part of it we needed to do volunteer hours.  Going to elementary schools to start/maintain school gardens was a popular way to get some of those hours in.

We had to go to the front desk, tell them who we were, sign in, and get a badge.  Every single time.

There may be other schools/counties that do it differently.  But in my experience so far, from the half dozen elementary schools I visited, you had to be either with authorized personnel to be in a school or be authorized personnel yourself.

That said ... lots of Oregon towns don't spend a lot of money on personnel or maintenance.  I would go do gardening duties on Saturdays and the place was deserted, no security guards.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable "sneaking in" these days when I'm no longer authorized.  Everybody's so serious these days, I worry that I might face a hefty fine instead of just a "Hey, get the hell outta here!" like i used to get way way way back in the day when I was a teenager.

You wouldn't ride around at a school like on a Saturday or something? I do all the time. There's nobody there. 

Well, I don't know  It was all very serious when I went there even when I was supposed to be there and was very welcomed as a volunteer there.  I don't really know how crazy the trespassing laws might be, but am not too eager to find out.

We do have parks around here.  I think I'd rather stick to those.  They're more attractive than an empty school, too.

I'd never go while the kids were in class. I'm talking like 8 pm on a weeknight or like on a Saturday afternoon. There are always people there walking on the track, or playing basketball. It's just like a park when school's out. They're all like that here. 

Archived