unicycle for the amalfi coast

paoloravello

Hello,

I'm Italian, ...I'm sorry for my english

I'm riding "solowheel classic" from 2 years on the Amalfi coast roads and now I would like to change it with a better unicycle;
On my region is difficult to find unicycles and than, i think I will buy it on the web;
Can you please suggest which model I can buy?
I  have a scooter rental company and i will use the unicycle for scooter delivery and pick up ( Often the Unicycle would carry on board the scooter )

I love my solowheel but I'm looking for:

- better range per charge

- greater power 

What about INMOTION V8 ? 

Is it better SOLOWHEEL or KINGSONG ( the only products I can find on my area )

THANK YOU ( and sorry again for my english )

2 hours ago, paoloravello said:

Hello,

I'm Italian, ...I'm sorry for my english

I'm riding "solowheel classic" from 2 years on the Amalfi coast roads and now I would like to change it with a better unicycle;
On my region is difficult to find unicycles and than, i think I will buy it on the web;
Can you please suggest which model I can buy?
I  have a scooter rental company and i will use the unicycle for scooter delivery and pick up ( Often the Unicycle would carry on board the scooter )

- greater power 

What about INMOTION V8 ? 

THANK YOU ( and sorry again for my english )

I like the INMOTION V8 a lot. I believe is very high quality. 

You can buy from the entire EU, only "problem" is shipping times if you have to do repairs/send back for some reason.

Inmotion V8, Kingsong 16 variants, Kingsong18 variants, Gotway ACM and msuper V3 are all good options (Solowheel too expensive and weak).

Actually not sure where to best buy Kingsong wheels online, maybe one of the French shops?

So choose your wheel, and we can try to find a good shop/price!

Don't buy from Amazon or so pls, use a good dealer (or Aliexpress for good price but hard to return if there is a problem).

For KingSong, I would recommend to buy from the German "1RadWerkstatt":

http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_US/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F80603321

They offer free shipping for the entire EU, are an official KingSong reseller, and are very reliable. You could pre-order a KS16S from them (no down payment necessary). I have one on pre-order. They told me they are checking and testing every single wheel before they ship it out to a customer. Since they run a repair shop as well, they have all the tools necessary to service your wheel if required.

I would not recommend GotWay. Check the forum for pictures of the wire harness GotWay uses in their wheels. They seem to have issues with cables and connectors getting so hot that the plastic melts, causing shorts, cut-outs, and people flying off their wheels. I would not risk that when riding on amalfi coast. I was there once (by car). Very scenic but also steep cliffs in some areas. I wouldn't want to fall off the wheel there... KingSong is known for having the goal of building the safest wheels possible.

2 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

KingSong is known for having the goal of building the safest wheels possible.

though this known fact might be closer to an urban myth or a marketing strategy than to the truth :P

I can remember at least two repeatedly surfacing end user issues with KingSong wheels which do not match with a proclaimed objective to build the safest possible wheel, because they are easy to spot or predict and somewhat obvious to fix: broken axles and overheating. I assume also KingSong is just another company which is first and foremost constrained by actually earning money.

2 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

For KingSong, I would recommend to buy from the German "1RadWerkstatt":

http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_US/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F80603321

They offer free shipping for the entire EU, are an official KingSong reseller, and are very reliable. You could pre-order a KS16S from them (no down payment necessary). I have one on pre-order. They told me they are checking and testing every single wheel before they ship it out to a customer. Since they run a repair shop as well, they have all the tools necessary to service your wheel if required.

I would not recommend GotWay. Check the forum for pictures of the wire harness GotWay uses in their wheels. They seem to have issues with cables and connectors getting so hot that the plastic melts, causing shorts, cut-outs, and people flying off their wheels. I would not risk that when riding on amalfi coast. I was there once (by car). Very scenic but also steep cliffs in some areas. I wouldn't want to fall off the wheel there... KingSong is known for having the goal of building the safest wheels possible.

You should keep your feedback on your personal experience.  Just because one or two forum users posted details of their issues does not make that brank lesser.  Every manufacturerer has weak points. King song has plenty of overheating problems if I was to quote some EUC users.

So for the Italy @paoloravello read the forums.  You will find happy users of all the brands.  You might find quality issues on all of them. but you might also find that some of the quality issues are due to also people trying to climb mount Everest on the wheel. like one guy going at the max advertised speed then going uphill then he weight 200 ls and complaining his wheel shut down. It is not designed for that. if you need that buy a jeep. even with a jeep if you go up hill at max speed fully loaded off-road you will crash also.

If you want the most reliable it will also be the slowest wheel. you need to understand the limitations of your machine. This little machines do a lot for $800.  If you want a mars rover then you need something that does not exist because it would be too expensive to make. All the EUC use the same components. MFG quality is critical and some Manufacturers did not see how hard we would push the equipment.

I have not seen even 1 wire melting issue. that is a complete exaggeration. The only event has been a soldered connector which under uphill high power became unsoldered causing high heat and melting the surrounding area.  issue corrected by crimping.

Gotway, kingsong, solowheel, segway, uniwheel, airwheel and the rest all have products with specific performance limitations. And you need to understand that and not test your luck trying to make your wheel fly like an airplane went it is not designed to do that.

If the manufacturer say 15 deg slope and you go to 20,25,30 and crash or overheat the unit that is your fault.

5 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

I have not seen even 1 wire melting issue. that is a complete exaggeration. The only event has been a soldered connector which under uphill high power became unsoldered causing high heat and melting the surrounding area.  issue corrected by crimping.

Here you can see one that had crimped connectors(not damaged a bit) and where the wires melt.... And the hill was btw inside the GW recommendations :-)

12 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

You should keep your feedback on your personal experience.  Just because one or two forum users posted details of their issues does not make that brank lesser.  Every manufacturerer has weak points. King song has plenty of overheating problems if I was to quote some EUC users.

can't it also be a personal experience to have read a lot about certain failures and recommend by this knowledge? I guess different opinions are much wanted in Forums....

And yes....every brand has it's own Problems. Some are more or less actual...some others are even not any more existant and have been fixed.

So perhaps best would be to buy one of each wheel brands...than you have the best of all worlds :)

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Here you can see one that had crimped connectors(not damaged a bit) and where the wires melt.... And the hill was btw inside the GW recommendations :-)

can't it also be a personal experience to have read a lot about certain failures and recommend by this knowledge? I guess different opinions are much wanted in Forums....

And yes....every brand has it's own Problems. Some are more or less actual...some others are even not any more existant and have been fixed.

So perhaps best would be to buy one of each wheel brands...than you have the best of all worlds :)

yes. :)  cool! My opinion it just provide personal knowledge. Quoting one user issue as major might be a mistake and send the wrong message because you said "not recommending GW". I would have said " personally I recommend KingSong". Its just the easier for a new user to interpret that.  If I say "a Brand is terrible" instead of "The brand I use is great" it is emotionally interpreted different.  So it it just how the information is passed along. You are not wrong but how you said it sound like one brand is dangerous and the other is perfect.

For the record, I do not think Gotway wheels are unsafe. I would not have listed them as options otherwise. Also, for >1000Wh they are the only options (besides KS18 1680 Wh) anyways;)

If and only if you are going 10% or more (10% is already quite steep) hills a lot of the time and for longer times without breaks/flat parts in between, then I would recommend Kingsong over Gotway because Kingsong seems to be more predictable on steep hills in terms of safety behavior. This is an issue purely limited to steep hills. My personal experience is, with Gotway - well, not sure how safe (I did some reasonably steep hill rides that went 100% well), while KS seems to be safer, if you look at the Youtube videos where @jrkline gets to test them on steep hills, pretty impressive.

--

Given how tiny the Solowheel batteries are, maybe the V8's 480Wh is already enough, and it's cheaper than the KS/Gotway alternatives.

On 19.4.2017 at 3:54 PM, paoloravello said:

- greater power 

What about INMOTION V8 ?

You already made your decision, which is a good one, but I still add my thoughts: :)

I once tried an Inmotion V8, and it is a VERY good, light and safe wheel, and the App is a lot better than Kingsongs current App (1.4).

But for me it has to less range, therefore I'm thinking of upgrading from my KS16B/680 to a KS16S/840, instead of buying a V8, although I'm impressed by the wheel design and driving experience.

I nearly don't dare to say it :), but I also like the fact that the KS16S is able to run 35 km/h. For me this is an acceptable maxspeed for a 16" wheel, if it proves as safe as it's predecessor KS16B was/is (I never had cutouts at long steep hills here in Styria, or while riding bumpy offroad).

On 19.4.2017 at 3:54 PM, paoloravello said:

You already made the decision which I would have made also, so I don't need to write much about that.

Archived