Ninebot Mini & riding in wet conditions

I personally haven't yet ridden one yet but I have seen plenty of evidence that a little water won't hurt. In this quality control video from Ninebot you see the Mini Pro being tested in simulated rain conditions. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleNewman said:

That's cool. More like a water resistant test! (They say "waterproof") :huh:

Yeah, but it is pretty sweet and it goes toward your question :-) 

I think it is like the Apple Watch 1 in this way. It is labeled as water resistant and recommended that you only get it a little wet like when water splashes on it while washing your hands. Yet, in reality it is far more water resistant than that and can handle much more than a little occasional splashing. I wear mine swimming and in the shower all the time and it's perfect. 

Does that mean I would try to use my Mini Pro in the pool or drive it around in the shower? Probably not. 

1 hour ago, Pezman said:

Yeah, but it is pretty sweet and it goes toward your question :-) 

I think it is like the Apple Watch 1 in this way. It is labeled as water resistant and recommended that you only get it a little wet like when water splashes on it while washing your hands. Yet, in reality it is far more water resistant than that and can handle much more than a little occasional splashing. I wear mine swimming and in the shower all the time and it's perfect. 

Does that mean I would try to use my Mini Pro in the pool or drive it around in the shower? Probably not. 

I'm just trying to be super cautious because I've hear their customer support is questionable!

22 hours ago, NashvilleNewman said:

Has anyone had any experience with this yet? I don't plan on riding it through puddles. But what about wet ground (maybe you accidentally go through a small puddle) or wet grass? 

Have been using mine in all kind of weather conditions. Even snow. And in heavy rain, of course. I commute on my wheels - and both 9b1 and miniPros works fabulously.

8 hours ago, Vik's said:

Have been using mine in all kind of weather conditions. Even snow. And in heavy rain, of course. I commute on my wheels - and both 9b1 and miniPros works fabulously.

HEAVY rain? Wow. I think my first "off road" attempt will be on the golf course with wet grass. 

7 hours ago, NashvilleNewman said:

HEAVY rain? Wow. I think my first "off road" attempt will be on the golf course with wet grass. 

I am not happy in the rain to be honest but at least my ninebots doesn't mind a ride in rain. I don't ride trough the biggest puddles if I can avoid it, but other than that. yeah, no problems.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, icom said:

I commute everyday on mine, and have had my minipro through very heavy rain multiple times. No problems

Seriously. This is great news. I assumed they would seal the electronics and I don't plan on riding in the rain but just knowing that if I ever get caught in the rain I'll be ok. 

• Upvote 2

I'm in Seattle, and I've been really wary of riding my minipro in the rain. I've only ridden it in dry conditions so far, and just hit the 100 mile mark. I'd like to feel more confident about riding in the rain, but I'm scared to ruin my fun toy. 

2 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I'm in Seattle, and I've been really wary of riding my minipro in the rain. I've only ridden it in dry conditions so far, and just hit the 100 mile mark. I'd like to feel more confident about riding in the rain, but I'm scared to ruin my fun toy. 

I understand that for sure.  I guess it is a struggle you will have to resolve as long as you live in Seattle. 

• 2 years later...

This i can tell you from my first hand experience.It rains during the monsoon season here in az.i always try to avoid sprinklers,wet sidewwalks etc.anywhere that there is water sitting.well i ride my miniplusw everywhere everyday.i got caught out in the rain after work.so i decided to wrap my mini in plastic bags to keep water out since i had no choice i certainly am not going to carry this thing it heavy.worked pretty good made it home no problems.keep in mind it was no nlonger heavy downpour.and there were a lot of dry sectrions of road.but there werere also long stretches of wet sections,i would travel slowly when it looked like there was maybe a quarter inch of standing water to ride thru. and just carry my mini over anything deeper than that....with good reason.

So heres the moral of the story...i was leaving the house and it was just starting to rain i thought i could make it to the bus stop no problem.i had my mini wrapped in plastic bags.well it really started pouring .so i immediately turned arouind and headed home.i was about four blocks away from home.it was dark and i couldnt see the water flowing in the gutter when i rode thru it splash.OH CRAP! but it was still rolling ..bags mustve worked! phew! got back inside.peeled the wet bags off of my beloved miniplus and laid it down in my walk in closet.no biggie.it was wet on the outside of the mini after i peeled the bags off.so i towel dried it .well i woke up about a couple hours later to my mini beeping loudly.and the light intermittently going on and off. i could hear an electrical sizzling noise .so i immediately got to work taking the botrtom plate off. low and behold it was full of water! not full to the top but water was pouring outprobably ahalf a cup or better.! my mini made one more chirp(i couldnt turn it off)and sadly died.8( literally it died.... im still in mourning.i loved that little guy.it was like he was crying out to me.and i failed to save him.,my life is living hell now that i have to walk everywhere,im spoiled rotten.my segway was such a blessing and convenience.well until i can replace the control board and whatever else needs to be done im screwed. i found a board for it on ebay for 147.,00 and some other segway mini control boiard on wish.com.but who knows what needs to be replaced or if the replacement boards even work when they arrive.

MORAL OF THE STORY! DO NOT RIDE YOUR MINIPLUS IN THE RAIN OR WET CONDITIONS AT ALL! ITS NOT WORTH IT! IF IT GETS WET INTERNALLY KISS IT GOODBYE! A MINIPLUS WILL COST YOU 802.00 ON EBAY OR AMAZON .$802 OR MORE! do yourself a favor and dont ride you miniplus in wet cons=ditions or youll be just a heartbroken as i am.AND I AM DEFINITELY ONE SAD AND HEARTBROKEN WALKING MOFO!

The above is another good reminder that water rarely does any damage immediately. It’s where it gets stuck where the damage starts to happen, and it can take weeks or even months for corrosion to take it’s time to ruin things. The spontaneous Inmotion V10F fires were the extreme example.

If your wheel gets wet, disassemble the wheel as soon as possible and dry it out as thoroughly as you can.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh. I’ve ridden mine in the rain a number of times, but I’ve tried to avoid taking it through anything but a shallow puddle. 

There is another thread about someone who just had some problems after showering their mini.

good news is that if it was just the control motherboard, you can (relatively) easily replace (upgrade even)...

Yup, showering it was a bad idea, but I turned it upside-down, which is not a predicted behavior when using it. I got the intention it is waterproof, but I would hesitate about this conclusion. Definitely splash-proof, that is for sure.