NEXT GENERATION BATTERIES: GLASS SOLID-STATE

houseofjob

Cheaper, 3 times more energy dense, unaffected by extreme weather, and longer cycle life?

They need to implement these ASAP!

https://hypebeast.com/2017/3/john-b-goodenough-glass-battery

The 94-Year-Old Inventor of the Lithium-Ion Battery Has Come up With the Next Great Battery Design

The efficient, low-cost creation could be the next major breakthrough for electric cars.
By T.S. Fox · Mar 8, 2017 in Tech ·   12 Comments
475Shares

• John B Goodenough Glass Battery

Known for his role in the development of the lithium-ion battery, John B. Goodenough — now an emeritus professor at the Cockrell School of Engineering at the University of Texas, Austin — has come up with what may be the next major battery-related breakthrough: a tiny all-glass design. Developed by Goodenough and senior fellow Maria Helena Braga alongside a team of researchers, the new low-cost, solid-state design is both safer and more efficient than its predecessor thanks to its use of a sodium- or lithium-coated glass electrolyte — one that can store three times as much power as a lithium-ion alternative. Best of all, though, is that the battery can withstand extreme temperatures, charge in just minutes, and offers more than 1,200 charge-discharge cycles — meaning it will last significantly longer than a lithium-ion battery. And the glass design isn’t only cheaper and more efficient — it’s safer, too. Since it doesn’t form the dendrites that accumulate with a lithium-ion battery’s charge-discharge cycle, the glass battery won’t short circuit or burn — a problem that ultimately plagues its lithium-ion counterpart.

Ultimately, the technology could be used to store energy from the likes of wind and solar systems and also make electric cars infinitely safer and more affordable. “Cost, safety, energy density, rates of charge and discharge and cycle life are critical for battery-driven cars to be more widely adopted. We believe our discovery solves many of the problems that are inherent in today’s batteries,” said Goodenough.

• 1 month later...

Here's Some news about a flexible fire resistant ceramic layer from Electrovaya who apparently bought a large German lithium ion manufacturing plant that was going to be shut down.  I wish I had bought stock!  They've quintripled their company value.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-30/tiny-battery-company-electrovaya-is-taking-on-tesla-panasonic-iq2g2hdi

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/news/energy/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/news/energy/canadian-lithium-ion-battery-maker-electrovaya-racks-up-orders-cranks-up-german-subsidiary-weve-taken-off

I've been following this development for a while and from what I understand they only have a very small prototype. They have not even begun to figure out how to scale it up to build a useful battery. I have been reading articles about "next generation batteries", "super capacitors to replace lithium" and "batteries that last five times as long as lithium and only take a second to charge" for ten years.

Elon Musk invests money into several battery development companies. He says developing better battery technology is one of the biggest technological challenges we face.

12 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I've been following this development for a while and from what I understand they only have a very small prototype. They have not even begun to figure out how to scale it up to build a useful battery. I have been reading articles about "next generation batteries", "super capacitors to replace lithium" and "batteries that last five times as long as lithium and only take a second to charge" for ten years.

Elon Musk invests money into several battery development companies. He says developing better battery technology is one of the biggest technological challenges we face.

There is one thing about John B. Goodenough - he did it before. So it's much more likely to happen when it comes from him vs. other "revolutionaries".

Yeah he's a legend. Let's hope this works out and really does revolutionise battery technology. We won't have it in our wheels anytime in the next 5 years, though. For now we have to be grateful for this wonderful element, lithium.

Sakti3 said that their solid-state lithium would be ready for commercial production in a year or two... in 2014. Still no battery ;) Probably many similar stories around. I'm a bit pessimistic about these nowadays, but let's hope they prove me wrong. At least Goodenough has proven himself before, so who knows...

Yes, lots of companies claim that their revolutionary product will be on the market "within 5 years!" and 15 years later nothing more is seen.  In truth, most of these news articles about revolutionary breakthroughs are hyped up and exaggerated by the companies in an attempt to gain public interest and investors.  20 years ago a cure to tinnitus was just 5 years away.  20 years ago cold lasers were about to revolutionise the technology world.  Battery technology progresses slowly but surely, but the timeframe between major advancements that provide big improvements in capacity hitting the market is decades.  And the more energy they pack into these batteries the harder it becomes to find ways to pack in even more energy.  It's extremely difficult.  I remember many years ago, all the news stories claiming that super capacitors would replace lithium batteries in just a few years, and they would provide many times the charge cycles, charge in just a few seconds and cost less to manufacture.  I'm still waiting.  They must be coming out any day now :)

50 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Yes, lots of companies claim that their revolutionary product will be on the market "within 5 years!" and 15 years later nothing more is seen.  In truth, most of these news articles about revolutionary breakthroughs are hyped up and exaggerated by the companies in an attempt to gain public interest and investors.  20 years ago a cure to tinnitus was just 5 years ago.  20 years ago cold lasers were about to revolutionise the technology world.  Battery technology progresses slowly but surely, but the timeframe between major advancements that provide big improvements in capacity hitting the market is decades.  And the more energy they pack into these batteries the harder it becomes to find ways to pack in even more energy.  It's extremely difficult.  I remember many years ago, all the news stories claiming that super capacitors would replace lithium batteries in just a few years, and they would provide many times the charge cycles, charge in just a few seconds and cost less to manufacture.  I'm still waiting.  They must be coming out any day now :)

Amen to that.

51 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

...  They must be coming out any day now :)

Yeah, we'll have to wait.... Maybe over the weekend? But surely before the Half-Life 3 and Uniwheel...

Archived