Jump to content

Electric Unicycle as a Disability Aid


Jonathan Tolhurst
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think @dbfresewould be one of the best to answer this question, but I can make a few comments...

I had a back injury some years ago, with surgery as the last solution tried - that helped, but left me a lot less mobile at the end. Due to the time span of my immobility I lost a lot of core strength and (being in a sit down job) struggled to get it back. Since I converted to EUC though, I have been getting better and better. 

I still don't like walking much, but now because it is slow and boring, rather than because it hurts.   :D

Have a look at this thread too...

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I think @dbfresewould be one of the best to answer this question,

I am one of at least a few that have experienced lessened back pain, mostly of the lower back, but also neck and shoulder pain after starting to ride my 9Bot1. I don't pretend that the pain was debilitating, be it was very real, regular and quite bothersome. I believe that my core muscles have been strengthened, along with having gained more flexibility, just from the movement required to maintain balance. It is this increased muscle strength an flexibility that has helped my back.

My evidence is only anecdotal, but I do believe EUC riding is logically related to my relief. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

And there is a mental benefit too... Better state of mind, and so on. 

For 9 out of 10 people maybe.  :innocent1:  I find myself in a more of a crazy mood when I can't go riding my one wheeled balancing vehicle to optically defy the laws of physics.  Less daylight and colder weather don't help things either.  :cry2:  :crying: Just call me Mr. Cranky Pants if I can't go for my regular roll! :furious:  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

For 9 out of 10 people maybe.  :innocent1:  I find myself in a more of a crazy mood when I can't go riding my one wheeled balancing vehicle to optically defy the laws of physics.  Less daylight and colder weather don't help things either.  :cry2:  :crying: Just call me Mr. Cranky Pants if I can't go for my regular roll! :furious:  

So rolling is therapeutic then? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really.  It just makes me more cranky when I'm not rolling so there's an opposite therapeutic effect.  It's like saying "I smoke crack because it makes me feel interesting and takes me to another place.  When I'm not smoking it I want to pull my eyeballs out so I should smoke it more."  Ergo riding a EUC is like smoking crack.  It's fun and euphoric and gives you this inexplicable "high," but then when you aren't riding it you get all crazy because you want to ride it more.  Does that make any sense?  :wacko:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Not really.  It just makes me more cranky when I'm not rolling so there's an opposite therapeutic effect.  It's like saying "I smoke crack because it makes me feel interesting and takes me to another place.  When I'm not smoking it I want to pull my eyeballs out so I should smoke it more."  Ergo riding a EUC is like smoking crack.  It's fun and euphoric and gives you this inexplicable "high," but then when you aren't riding it you get all crazy because you want to ride it more.  Does that make any sense?  :wacko:

Do you by chance own a gun?

No reason, just curious...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you suggestion I shouldn't be smoking crack and handling weapons?  :lol:  Not that I've smoked crack before, but I have seen some people who likely have been smoking something (meth/cocaine/heroine) plus all the TV shows I watch have been very educational.  :smartass:  I don't own a gun, but I have been to the shooting range and fired off some rounds with an AR-15 and some handguns.  I got a bullseye on my first shot with a 9 mm handgun from about 50 feet.  After that my aim was not so good since the BOOM sound anticipation makes you shake a little even with ear protection on.  Lots of fun though.  Have you been to a shooting range?  I wouldn't shoot gophers or anything, but I know some people who do that.  Killing little animals isn't my thing I guess.  :barf:

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I got a bullseye on my first shot with a 9 mm handgun from about 50 feet.  After that my aim was not so good since the BOOM sound anticipation makes you shake a little even with ear protection on.  Lots of fun though.  Have you been to a shooting range?

What you should have done is stop after that first shot... Just walked away saying, "Job done."

I haven't been to a range, but have scared the hell out of a few skeet occasionally - though I'm not too concerned to have missed them, apparently they don't make good eating. 

I've been meaning to stop at a range in the States sometime - to try out some of the more substantial weapons - the sort we (fortunately) don't get over here. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a couple knee surgeries in high school (from wrestling). Walking normally can sometimes be too painful and I'll end up limbing. When I'm on an EUC, I have no pain. It feels great to now be able to explore NYC whereas pre-EUC, walking just a few blocks would be a huge hassle. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

I think it would depend on what numb means. Riding an EUC requires the operator to shift their weight between legs and make constant fine adjustments for both balance and steering, personally I rely on foot pressure to make the adjustments. That and the amount of bend in my knees. If he can’t feel how hard he’s pushing/standing on each of his feet I’d wager it will be considerably more difficult to learn. You also want to be able to run off the EUC when you lose your balance at low speed (the option is falling down), this happens basically all the time when you’re learning. Having to use a walker isn’t a good omen, but never say never.

An escoot might be something to consider—they can be plenty dangerous too but I think that if he can stand on one leg for a full second he wouldn’t have any problem learning to ride one, the downside is that escoots tend to be a little less portable.

Edited by Tawpie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...