Is there an EUC Lobby Group in the UK

Jonathan Tolhurst

Does anyone know if there a group that is actively lobbying for electric unicycles to be recognised as a legal form of transportation in the UK?

If not, would anyone be potentially interested in participating in a group set up for this purpose?

I know there is a petition on the UK parliament website, but realistically just getting people to sign a petition isn't going to change anything (especially if it's not huge numbers of people). 

I really believe that electric unicycles can be a viable form of personal transportation and that they have a number of distinct benefits over other forms of transportation. As with all forms of transportation, EUCs have some limitations which need to be considered and mitigated. 

It would be useful to construct a list of people, groups and government agencies/departments who should be lobbied, together with some high quality materials to facilitate lobbying (E.g. case studies for use, environmental impacts and how any potential risks could be mitigated). 

It may also be beneficial to try to improve public perception of EUCs, including highlighting the differences between EUCs from "hoverboards" which appear to be where a lot of the negative perception relating to EUCs appear to originate.

In London there are very active/noisy cycling lobby groups, and it may be possible to learn from these groups on how to best lobby the relevant stakeholders?

6 hours ago, OliverH said:

Ask the guys of project42

My thoughts as well, except Project 42 are behind the Uniwheel so should  have a very real vested interest in getting the UK government's head out of its backside. Instead Uniwheel has slowly gone quieter and quieter so heaven only knows what they are currently up to.

This is quite old now but they have at least tried something: https://proj42.co.uk/blog/national-appeal-bring-electric-vehicles-back-to-the-streets/

I love eucs and i support your initiative 100%  but to be honest I dont believe there is anything we can do to make eucs or other personal electric transportation devices accepted in Uk at the moment for several reasons .

The acceptance of  electric personal transportation devices on the streets or pavement would require a massive change in laws and regulations . I dont see a simple and safe way to harmonize eucs  with the cars on the roads or people on pavements . 

It would require public acceptance . Most people in Uk  believe that eucs are a nonsense and i do not believe they will be happy to share roads and pavements with eucs  or electric skates/scooters anytime soon. 

There are not enough users to make any significant lobby .

I think eucs will only be accepted  in Uk  if the necessity to reduce carbon emissions in congested cities becames an absolute priority . I have hope because this is happening in some cities like Paris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2016 at 6:53 PM, Keith said:

My thoughts as well, except Project 42 are behind the Uniwheel so should  have a very real vested interest in getting the UK government's head out of its backside. Instead Uniwheel has slowly gone quieter and quieter so heaven only knows what they are currently up to.

This is quite old now but they have at least tried something: https://proj42.co.uk/blog/national-appeal-bring-electric-vehicles-back-to-the-streets/

I emailed Project 42 and they said that they are still attempting to work through several meetings with the CPS. I might see if I can pop in on them one lunch time as their office is just up the road from my workplace.

This is a list of links that may assist in lobbying for a change in UK law with relation to electric unicycling. I'll update this post as my research continues.

UK Crown Prosecution Service

Relevant UK Laws

UK Parliament

Transport Statistics

Related stakeholders

National

Regional

London

Wiki Links

EUC (and related devices) in the UK News

3 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

This is a list of links that may assist in lobbying for a change in UK law with relation to electric unicycling. I'll update this post as my research continues.

Superb research Jonathon! Congratulations! Hopefully any positive EUC laws /regulations that are enacted in the UK will dovetail across the pond and open legislative doors to increased acceptance and support in my country! 

Are you running for political office in some capacity??

Id be very happy to participate/help, I'd guess our chances of success would be slim but they are a lot better than if we don't try at all...

Someone like Project 42 would be a good focus for a campaign and I'm sure they would be able to tap into a customer base to contact people to canvass for support. I have been meaning to drop in to see them when i next go to London for work.

Archived