ips 191- Lhotz or 9b1 E+

cm16600

Hi,

i am reaching out to get some inputs and advices. I am considering purchasing my first wheel and have a hard time to make my mind. I' ll use it mainly for a 7 km commute but could use it on small trails for fun during summer season.

The design and specs of the Lhotz appeals to me and somehow the wider tire feels reassuring and more comfortable ( although i have never tried a wheel to know or understand the difference). On the down side there is very little information on that wheel, where do you purchase it? I read on this forum about a Tony? Is it a reliable source? What is his web site? Is it possible to buy spare partsfor ips? I saw a tear down of the Lhotz on youtube and the battery shape seems really specific and maybe hard to replace in a couple of years.

The ninebot on the other hand is widely available and the spare parts does not seems to be an issue.Downside could be with the range and max speed.I am thinking it might be a better option for maintenance as one would always find somebody on the web to help out.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

chris

Im a previous lhotz owner, theyre both great wheels. But id say go for the e+. You can get it from speedyfeet for £650 or so......very reliable and plenty of parts/support/knowledge etc available to you.

However if your budget stretches to it, get an Inmotion V5F+ over either of them. A better wheel overall, more refined, larger battery and a bit faster than the ninebot. Once you start getting confident you WILL want that extra speed and range. ?

Ninebot: www.speedyfeet.uk

Inmotion: www.wheelgo.com

19 minutes ago, cm16600 said:

Thank you very much for your inputs Paddylaz.

May i know herre you bought your Lhotz, what you thought about the extra tire width, and why you sold it?

thanks

No worries.

Yeah i bought the Lhotz instead of the e+ because i was attracted to both the wheel-width and the top speed (30kph). If you want to buy one, dont get it from Tony, either get it from Runrui (a girl who is the direct factory contact) or from Amazon (if its available).

I was very happy with it for a while but there were some issues:

1) as soon as you hit 22kph, the beeping is so loud and annoying you never really want to go any faster. And you WILL crave more speed.

2) although the thicker tire is more forgiving when youre learning, after a while it makes no difference once your skill level is decent. (A much bigger factor is tire pressure i have found)

3) the build quality and design (while ok) is nowhere near the calibre of those other wheels. Its an 'industrial' sort of wheel. No refinements. It's also quite a bit thicker and less good-looking than it seems in photos.

Theres no 'wrong' decision here. All three are great. But i sold my Lhotz for my current wheel and it's the best ive ever ridden (v5f+.) Perfect mix of ninebot looks and lhotz performance (with no damn beeps!)

I did purchase an IPS 191 Lhotz just some weeks ago from Tony at http://www.ipselectricunicycle.com/bbx/222147-222147.html

No problems whatsoever, delivery within 10 days to Germany. No customs/taxes, as he has a partner in Netherlands ho deals with that. I think the Lhotz is curently the Wheel where you get the mos bang for you buck, with a price of just 739$. The beeping isn't that loud at all, if there is only light traffic next to you, you can hardly hear it at all. The wide tire is great for tracks and trails. The motor is nice and powerfull, no anoying high pitched noise as on the Gotways. The battery wil handle the 8 km commute easily, but I would advise to recharge at work, just to make shure.

Of course, the more expensive wheels like the Inmotion offer quite a bit more, so it depends on how much you want (or can) spend on a wheel.

59 minutes ago, cm16600 said:

Thanks for your quick reply and inputs. The fact that the VF5 is 14 inch is still ok with comfort?

Yeah it actually 'feels' like a 16inch. You wouldn't know it was a 14inch without looking.

The spine of the tire is 1.95", which is actually thicker than the Ninebot's tire. Obviously not as thick as the Lhotz tire but it makes little difference in reality.

THE most important tire-related thing (especially for a newcomer) is pressure. When you're learning keep it at about 40psi. That way you have decent surface area on the road. (I'd recommend investing in a decent track pump with a gauge so you're accurate).

Once you become experienced you'll want to increase it to 47-55psi as it will give you a sharper, more responsive experience. I currently ride on 58psi and it's perfect. 

Any questions feel free to ask ?

The red strips on top of the shell are actually made of rubber, so thats all the padding you get. In the beginning it dug a bit in my calves, but as I got a little practice I realized I don't need to squeeze the Wheel between my legs. After a few days I could ride it really comfortable without getting any pain from the Pads.

Yeah, what Slaughthammer said.

You only need padding at the beginning when you're nervous and squeezing the wheel with your calves like your life depended on it.

Once you're experienced your legs don't need to be touching the sides at all. In fact they shouldn't be.

Since you're just starting, whatever wheel you get you're going to be padding the hell out of it (unless you want to damage/scratch it) so your calves will be touching the padding, not the wheel. I recommend bubble wrap too if on a budget.

On 2016/11/6 at 5:00 PM, cm16600 said:

Hi,

i am reaching out to get some inputs and advices. I am considering purchasing my first wheel and have a hard time to make my mind. I' ll use it mainly for a 7 km commute but could use it on small trails for fun during summer season.

The design and specs of the Lhotz appeals to me and somehow the wider tire feels reassuring and more comfortable ( although i have never tried a wheel to know or understand the difference). On the down side there is very little information on that wheel, where do you purchase it? I read on this forum about a Tony? Is it a reliable source? What is his web site? Is it possible to buy spare partsfor ips? I saw a tear down of the Lhotz on youtube and the battery shape seems really specific and maybe hard to replace in a couple of years.

The ninebot on the other hand is widely available and the spare parts does not seems to be an issue.Downside could be with the range and max speed.I am thinking it might be a better option for maintenance as one would always find somebody on the web to help out.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

chris

YES, the lhotz is great that many people like it. what do you think it now?:)

Dear friends

If there is any problem or need any spare parts, you can look for the official website: www.iamips.com, from beginning to now and in the future, you can contact us by this website, there we will provide our best service, if you need more information, you can also contact me :yueyue.wang@iamips.com, or runrui.meng@iamips, IPS official store sales and service. Welcome to your questions.

About the wide tire, i think if you ride it, you may find it is more comfortable and stable than others. what's your idea?

On 2016/11/9 at 3:36 AM, cm16600 said:

I think i might go for a used ninebot if ican or a  new vf5+ when  economi allow it

yes, ninebot is good and our products are also great. What are your performance requirements for the wheel? Such as battery, weight, price, size ......i can give you some advice for it that you can make a choose. 

On 11/6/2016 at 6:38 AM, Paddylaz said:

as soon as you hit 22kph, the beeping is so loud and annoying you never really want to go any faster.

I know several people have mentioned Lhotz beeping, but my Lhotz NEVER beeps except in only one situation: standing upright and motionless for something like 1 or 2 minutes.

On 11/6/2016 at 7:41 AM, Slaughthammer said:

The beeping isn't that loud at all,

I don't get it. Something is different about my Lhotz, because it NEVER beeps except only one situation: standing upright and motionless for approximately 1 minute.

1 minute ago, MaxLinux said:

I don't get it. Something is different about my Lhotz, because it NEVER beeps except only one situation: standing upright and motionless for approximately 1 minute.

Mine does (and your new one will too)...

A slow beep over ~24km, faster over ~27km. But it isn't loud - sometimes I can only just hear it over the wind noise.

There is also a long beep occasionally when the battery is low and I'm pushing it hard - which I understand indicates that it can't continue to pull enough current... which means it is a good time to back off a bit. 

I have a Lhotz and have ridden the ninebot. Personally I would go with the Lhotz without any hesitation. It feels much more stable and "planted" than the ninebot and is a much smoother ride. Might just be my impression but the ninebot feels less balanced and possibly as if there is less torque there - I'm just under 100kg so maybe that makes a difference. 

Id second the comments above about dealing direct with IPS ( Runrui) - excellent customer service and great communication.

i put padding on my Lhotz, mainly to protect it when I was learning. Maybe that muffles the beeps but I never hear them. 

Ive also tried an Inmotion (V8) and I'd agree that it's a more sophisticated product, super stable and steady as a rock. 

23 hours ago, 王月月 said:

About the wide tire, i think if you ride it, you may find it is more comfortable and stable than others. what's your idea?

I love the 2.5 inch tire on IPS 191 Lhotz! I keep my Lhotz tire inflated to 50 psi, and even at this relatively high pressure, the ride is luxuriously comfortable. The Lhotz is very stable. This stability allows confident riding on rough surfaces, wet surfaces, and in gusty wind. I have an IPS 121 with 2.125 inch tire, which I love, but the Lhotz is noticeably more relaxing to ride, and I think the main reason is its wider tire. 

Archived