Ninebot won't turn on

Shinji78

Hi guys. I'm glad to find a forum about Electric unicycles since I was starting to feel quite freaky not seeing anyone else having one.

Anyway, I'd like to ask a question concerning my Ninebot One C. Sorry if this subject has been treated before.

Today I went to work as usual but when I wanted to go back home I realised that it won't turn on.

It beeps when I press the button and for a moment (a fraction of a second) it tries to find it's balance, but then it goes to sleep again.

Once at home I checked that the battery was full and if I turn it on when still connected to the charger, it works fine, but when I unplugged it, he doesn't wants to work.

Have you had any problems like this before?

I've checked that all the internal cables are fine. Batteries looks also good and the on/off button cables too.

Any help is more than appreciated

Thank you for your quick answer

Unfortunately no, I don't have anything to measure the battery.

How do you know when is time to change the batteries? Mines are almost 2 years old, but never had any issues until today. I was expecting finding a weak behaviour on the wheel when batteries gets too old, but not to stop working so suddenly 

4 minutes ago, Shinji78 said:

Thank you for your quick answer

Unfortunately no, I don't have anything to measure the battery.

How do you know when is time to change the batteries? Mines are almost 2 years old, but never had any issues until today. I was expecting finding a weak behaviour on the wheel when batteries gets too old, but not to stop working so suddenly 

The cells will age with use (and if left for long time at too low or too high charge), but if the battery stops working all of the sudden, it's probably related to BMS (Battery Management System, a circuit board inside the packs), or a failed cell or cells... Good quality cells should last fairly many charge cycles (500+) without "too much" of a capacity drop, and even then the capacity degradation should happen gradually, not just all of the sudden.

It sounds like a heavy repair is expected and I'm kinda frightened.

After 2 years, warranty has expired so I might have to save money but I don't even know how and where to send it to be repaired in the UK. 

Anything I could try?

I'm pretty disappointed. I haven't done anything wrong. It just won't work for no reason :-(

Might need a new battery.  Check out his thread:

You could try leaving it plugged into the charger for some extra time after the green LED on th charger comes on to see if the BMS can balance out the cells.  How long do you normally charge for?

http://www.speedyfeet.uk/Ninebot-One-320wh-Replacement-Spare-Battery-p/ninebot-one-320wh.htm

Interesting.

That guy from the video shows something similar to what I am having.

I've read all the thread and he seemed to fix it replacing the battery, so I might have to do the same. In fact, I have no other option.

Unfortunately Speedyfeet won't refund me if I found that the new batteries won't fix the problem. If that's the case you guys will know I sell a battery pack 100% new apart from doing this test :-S

One more question is that I own a Ninebot One C, but can't find any batteries for it. All I see are for E+ (thanks Hunka Hunka Burning Love for the link)

I asked and Speedyfeet says they'll fit, but I've found some other informations that says they're not compatible due to the different amperage.

Do you have a C model with E+ batteries?

Is that compatible with the charger?

45 minutes ago, Shinji78 said:

Interesting.

That guy from the video shows something similar to what I am having.

I've read all the thread and he seemed to fix it replacing the battery, so I might have to do the same. In fact, I have no other option.

Unfortunately Speedyfeet won't refund me if I found that the new batteries won't fix the problem. If that's the case you guys will know I sell a battery pack 100% new apart from doing this test :-S

One more question is that I own a Ninebot One C, but can't find any batteries for it. All I see are for E+ (thanks Hunka Hunka Burning Love for the link)

I asked and Speedyfeet says they'll fit, but I've found some other informations that says they're not compatible due to the different amperage.

E+ battery is fully  compatible with your C-model. You'll get more range.

4 minutes ago, Shinji78 said:

Is it saying too much if I say that a model C becomes a E+ just by changing it's batteries?

Or are there any other differences?

There are both motherboard version and firmware differences. (serial number dependent) and motor power (C/C+ models got 450W vs. E/E+ 500W). So it'll still be C model but with much better range and longer charging time but no speed gain,

Thanks for your help and information

I'll do a couple of more tests and checks at home before buying the batteries, but if I don't get any success -I'm not expecting any-, I'll get the new batteries and update this thread.

15 minutes ago, Shinji78 said:

Thanks for your help and information

I'll do a couple of more tests and checks at home before buying the batteries, but if I don't get any success -I'm not expecting any-, I'll get the new batteries and update this thread.

Ian can surely help you to measure your old battery as well? (scratch that, saw your location). You could measure your battery at the car workshop near you.

On 11/4/2016 at 0:35 PM, Shinji78 said:

Yes, I've had a C+ and an E+, I've switched batteries and chargers - they can all interchange.

Hi

So I received the new battery pack from Speedyfeet (delivered in just 1 day, awesome service as usual!) and changed my old model C battery by the new E+ one.

Before it arrived though, I noticed that the screws from the cushion that protects the electric circuit were a bit soft. I've never worried about that side of the vehicle so I never realized about these screws.

By removing the cushion I noticed that the electric circuit was dusty and dirty. I began to fear that my problem was due to this.

I cleaned it up the best I could using a toothbrush and being careful with all the components.

However, once the battery arrived and changed it by the new one I was happy to see that the problem was fixed and my vehicle is up and running.

I've been lucky this time :-)

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

For those arriving to this thread, if your Ninebot suddenly stops working, one of the reasons could be a dead battery, like my case has been. I wasn't expecting such behaviour... as said before, if a battery is dying, I was expecting to cover smaller distance when riding the vehicle among other signals, but never to stop working from one ride to another.

A 2 years old battery and not paying attention to it's maintenance, made me think that this problem was due to it and I'm glad I was right!

pheeeeew!

@Shinji78, Good to hear!

44 minutes ago, Shinji78 said:

noticed that the screws from the cushion that protects the electric circuit were a bit soft. I've never worried about that side of the vehicle so I never realized about these screws.

By removing the cushion I noticed that the electric circuit was dusty and dirty. I began to fear that my problem was due to this.

Take a look here - it could be usefull mods to do still, even after two years of use: 

Archived