The New Mavic Drone was released today!

Rehab1

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Think the Presidential Inauguration FAA Flight Advisory applies to kites and drones as well?

Especially kites, they look so innocent on the surface, by the way, I never knew that transmitter mitts existed.

I bet the FAA has a kite advisory committee for the inauguration:ph34r:

On 11/22/2016 at 7:56 AM, Keith said:

So when it crashes in that nuclear submarine base, the authorities know exactly who to prosecute perhaps? ?

P.S. forty years ago I was test flying a plane that the receiver had just been returned from repair, what I hadn't noticed was the lead weight had fallen out from under the receiver so I took off with it seriously tail heavy and it was a 2 channel radio, so no throttle control. After 10 minutes of fighting it and praying for the engine to stop whilst wondering why I had been stupid enough to fill the tank, I tired enough to lose control and it half looped out of the park into a house and I heard a horrible sound of breaking glass. I, of course,decided that running like hell might be a good idea until it occurred to me that my name and address was in it!

Sheepishly knocking on the front door I was invited in to the dinning room where a full evening meal was sitting on the table - along with my plane and most of the window!

Thankfully, he turned out to be a modeller himself and I got charged for, and very gratefully paid for the replacement glass only.

I'm not fully sure of the moral of this story but I learned not to fly so close to property in the future!

That's so funny, I can picture the glass and plane on the table scattered all over the dinner, he should have charged for the food, too.:lol:

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Especially kites, they look so innocent on the surface, by the way, I never knew that transmitter mitts existed.

I bet the FAA has a kite advisory committee for the inauguration:ph34r:

Washington DC will probably be the safest place in the USA come January 20th!  Yes I just found the mitts after reading about some of the concerns and pitfalls flying drones in cold weather. You definitely need to keep the batteries warm including those in the controller and display.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:35 PM, Henrik Olsen said:

@HEC this will be soo cool next time we meet, both @kmoon and I have ordered one too. 

Did you get it from DJI?

Are you allowed to fly it in Sweden with the new law?

Yes - Directly from DJI. Remember to check if you have correct phone USB cable as one of the type is strangely enough not supplied and needs to be ordered separately. And no - officially not allowed :(

29 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Do you have any options? 

Not official one - can't really afford to pay for the "license" ... Considering though that local shops still happily sells drones / quads / helicopters equipped with cameras without a single word of warning to their customers I'd say it's pretty safe to fly as long as you'll stay away from crowds and highly populated areas.

1 hour ago, Henrik Olsen said:

Anyone considering flying with ND filters?

I have those in the shopping cart when ordering some accessories but in the end I've  took those out. I assume in the really sunny weather it would be beneficial though.

1 hour ago, HEC said:

Not official one - can't really afford to pay for the "license" ... Considering though that local shops still happily sells drones / quads / helicopters equipped with cameras without a single word of warning to their customers I'd say it's pretty safe to fly as long as you'll stay away from crowds and highly populated areas.

Individuals in your local government will probably be apathetic to the idea of going after an innocent drone user just for taking some hobby footage. Please keep us informed if any laws change in Sweden or you hear of someone being prosecuted.

1 hour ago, Henrik Olsen said:

Anyone considering flying with ND filters?

I purchased the PolarPro filter 6 pack which included the ND but was unhappy with having to remove the filter from the gimbal each time before flight! The gimbal would go crazy if you installed it prior to the initialization phase. Putting on the filter after the initialization was a real pain and I felt it could compromise the gimbal components over time. I returned the set for a full credit and PolarPro is introducing a new cinema version in the next few weeks that will allow the filter to remain on the Mavic. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Henrik Olsen said:

Gotta love tripod mode

I must say that I'm really impressed how well the Mavic flies indoors. I've "accidentally" taken off with it indoors once while messing around with it's settings and despite limited space and lot of clutter around it kept it's positions perfectly and allowed me to land back on the very small foot pal without any problems. Still waiting for the warmer weather though to perform some longer outside test.

6 hours ago, HEC said:

I must say that I'm really impressed how well the Mavic flies indoors. I've "accidentally" taken off with it indoors once while messing around with it's settings and despite limited space and lot of clutter around it kept it's positions perfectly and allowed me to land back on the very small foot pal without any problems. Still waiting for the warmer weather though to perform some longer outside test.

How cold is it where you live! Wow you must be bummed not being able to fly outdoors! 

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, Rehab1 said:

How cold is it where you live! Wow you must be bummed not being able to fly outdoors! 

The temperatures are hovering above zero up to about 10 degrees Celsius but it's not just that ... It's windy and getting dark very soon. I'd say another month at least before I'd go out for some longer dedicated fly session. So far I can "play" only at nearby park / green area over the weekends.

And now for something completely different:

tumblr_nndrngwQRS1sc9qwno1_500.jpg

(random unrelated image)

2 hours ago, HEC said:

And now for something completely different:

tumblr_nndrngwQRS1sc9qwno1_500.jpg

(random unrelated image)

Funny! I could be wrong but it looks like a photoshop depiction to me!

It appears that Airwheel is now manufacturing drones! It looks similar to the Mavic! It is called the F3 and is suppose to be available this spring!

2 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

To my friends here in cold regions. You will love this link here for drones!!!! I don't know what to say..

https://www.dronesweaters.com/?ref=producthunt

That's absolutely nuts! Did you see the price? $189.00!! If  pilots are that concern about their drones shivering from the cold just purchase ace wrap. It comes in a bunch of colors.

I just received an email from Air Selfie stating that my drone is on target to ship by mid March. I am not holding my breath after what happened to Lily on their GoFundMe disaster!

Archived