Feet hurts while riding

diegoborgh

Good shoes are a must. I just got a pair of these for riding...

http://m.kathmandu.co.nz/tiber-ngx-boot-chestnut-icon-green.html

The key points being; 

• Ankle support
  • Stiff soles
  • Won't get trashed easily

1 minute ago, diegoborgh said:

My pain is mostly on the sole of my feet.

One of the biggest issues is pressure points on your feet... After just a few kilometres it can become quite painful. 

Hiking boots, being designed for uneven terrain have a stiff sole (spreading the load considerably). Ideal for small foot plates. 

All the above advice on shoe recommendations is good. I prefer formal shoes/brogues.

But whatever your choice of footwear, the pain totally disapppears with time. And by time, i mean perhaps two or three months of frequent riding.

In the meantime, make sure your feet are far enough up the peddle. The top 1/4 of your shoe should be hanging off the front. That should help take the edge off the pain.

As @Paddylaz've already mentioned this will slowly fade away after few months of regular riding. At the start I could barely walk up the stairs after "short" ride of about 10 Km, now I can stay on the wheel 5 times longer. Even if you don't feel (excessive) pain it's recommended to take a brief breaks during longer rides or at least try to wiggle your toes or reposition your feet once a while / move the weight from one to another. And indeed proper firmer shoes helps a lot.

As soon as you start your ride, while still going very slowly, try shifting your feet one at a time in small movements until you find the most comfortable position.  Make sure you are going slowly, if you shift too much at one time you can lose control and fall off, the faster you are going while shifting your feet the more unstable you are.

Agreed on the shoes. It's counterintuitive, but when I used padded shoes my feet hurt really quickly.

My hypothesis is that, because they remove direct feedback between you and the pedals, your feet have to exert a bigger effort to control the wheel, and I noticed I had to make adjustments constantly.

For me, flat soles work best, if they're firm, even better.

Maybe you feel unsafe cause of the pedals, maybe add some kind of anti-slip material so you can have a better grip with your shoes then trust the wheel better so some of your muscles from the back till down your feet "relax" a bit. don't know making assumptions here 

One other thing comes to mind at least in theory

When I watch people riding their wheels I noticed a great deal of instability Windows wheels are thin and not stabilized buy their ankles

When this happens, it causes one to readjust his or her feet a lot more often and that might be responsible for some of the pain as well

At least to me I think it is easier to "relax" while on the wheel if I can stabilize it hopefully in a painless way with my ankles which is why a wider wheel sometimes appeals to me

I'm not sure this makes any sense at all to anyone

And, perhaps I'm completely wrong :rolleyes:

Archived