Circle around Manhattan island.

Philip W

I finally did it! Last Sunday I rode my EUC circling around the Manhattan island. It takes me whole day and I felt so tired after that. It was a great experience nonetheless. Love to do it.

I have a backpack with 4 hooverboard batteries. I used them to charge my EUC during the trip. That's how I could rode 26 miles. Without them I can only go 12 miles.

Below is the record.

QuickMemo+_2016-08-14-23-38-00.png

Geo-Tracker-2016-08-14-23-37-08.png

Nice!

How well does recharging from batteries work? And do you get a full charge?

I would have thought some strategic cafe charging stops would have been a good way to extend your range (and rest your feet) in a place like Manhattan...

10 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Nie job!  That must have been a real challenge considering the traffic and how busy things must be there.  Gotta film a selfie-stick video for us next time!  Video up man, video up!  :D

Thanks, man! Next time there will be video. The route actually has very little traffic. They are just bike routes around the island. Only bikes and pedestrians are allow so there were no traffic jam.

10 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Nice!

How well does recharging from batteries work? And do you get a full charge?

I would have thought some strategic cafe charging stops would have been a good way to extend your range (and rest your feet) in a place like Manhattan...

The charging work just fine. It's like the external battery pack for a phone. Plug it in and it will do it's job. I kept monitoring their voltages. It's funny that the internal battery was about the same voltage when I arrived the Battery Park:63v. I started with 65v.

I got plenty of rest, aka catching pokemons along the route. After 3 hours, I ran out of balls and tired of catching those Magikcarps. There were tons of them. So I just passed stops and get items. In the end of the trip my feet really hurts.

8 hours ago, cloudust said:

Woow, nice job.

Just curious, how much weight did you carry?

Each hooverboard battery weighs about 1kg/2 pounds. I have 4 of them. The backpack doesn't feel heavy, even at the end of the trip. But I know now I should have paid more to get the better ones. Anyway for now they did the job.

The charging cable has a quick release, so if I fall it won't damage anything.

3 hours ago, Philip W said:

The charging cable has a quick release, so if I fall it won't damage anything.

So you were charging while you were riding?

This sounds like a significant mod - or am I missing something here? 

20 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yup. Fortunately I don't need a mod for that. My EUC allows me to charge while riding. I only need to buy a Boost Converter from Amazon to do it.

21 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

He made it in this thread : 

1 hour ago, Philip W said:

Yup. Fortunately I don't need a mod for that. My EUC allows me to charge while riding. I only need to buy a Boost Converter from Amazon to do it.

Maybe not a mod but a great accessory. Anyhow the only safe external battery pack i've heard of by now...

21 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

:D Phillip is using hoverboard batteries in his backpack. By using a Boost Converter they get the right voltage to work as a charger while driving his EUC!

I was with question marks on my face also, when i first heard about it...But: Pretty nice mod!!!

Thanks all you guys for your kind comments! This backpack thing is actually quite easy to do, just require a little bit of soldering knowledge and you can do it. 

The bigger issue to me now is the riding comfort. Still trying to figure out a way to put a seat in it. Do anyone have a link for me to buy a generic EUC seat? 5 hours of standing in that EUC taught me one thing: never do that again.

Long distance trips on my motorcycle have taught me one thing: Get off regularly and take breaks BEFORE things start to get painful, because once they have started hurting they never really stop again, no matter how long the breaks.

Archived